Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 20-02-2010, 08:14   #1

Boat: Skookum 53'
Mayan Calender 2012

I recently completed reading a book about the Mayan calender and the meaning of the whole 2012 beginning / end date phenomenon, I was curious to find out if anyone else out there has explored this topic or has an opinion or other input?
The book I read had the take of the alignment with the dark rift in the Milky Way come the December 21st, 2012, and the progressions of the constellations across the sky.
Old 20-02-2010, 08:22   #2

Boat: 50' steel canal and river cruiser
I was told about this almost 2 years ago. Some say it marks the end of the world but no one can catagorically say why or what may happen.

History is full of predictions and so is the bible allegedly but they are so vague, they are explained away aferwards in a variety of dubious events
Old 20-02-2010, 08:26   #3

I have been hearing about it for a long time now, there is also some speculation that the earth's magnetic poles will shift as well. Who knows what that will bring if that comes about.
Old 20-02-2010, 08:33   #4

Boat: Ingrid 38 Cutter S/V Kokopelli
The History Channel is hot on this topic based on all of their recent programming..I not sure what's up..So I'm going sailing!!!!
FLKokopelli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-02-2010, 08:36   #5
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41
LOL....same s*** as the millineum bs...LOL...anyone believing in the stupidity of it all deserves to have consequences of high stress and sleepless nites...smooooth sailing everyone!!!!
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-02-2010, 08:45   #6

Boat: a sailing boat
Sure, and when we multiply 2012 by 3.141592 (Pi, but also somehow the relationship of the sides of Gizeh pyramids), then we deduct the deviation of Endeavour on course 201.2 (again!!!) ...

THEN guess what !:

We get my boat's WATERLINE, expressed in Mayan representation of the imperial inch !!!

Wonder if Maya said anything about why we are just about to strike Iran only to find afterwards that there were no nuclear laboratories there (but a lot of crude oil to steal).

Now this is so far off that I do not quite see how it relates to cruising anymore.

Anybody using Mayan calendar in navigation? Anybody cruising to Iran? No? Moderators, PLS, scrap this one ;-)

Cheers,
barnie
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-02-2010, 09:19   #7

Zeehag,
I wasn't looking at it in a negative light. More of a dawning of a new age perspective. I have to admit I did fly to Australia in November of 1999, not because of any fear, I just wanted to be stranded somewhere nice if perchance all the doom Sayers were correct, also I had never been and always wanted to go, it was as good excuse as any. As it worked out I got 3 months in a very nice place and learned more about Australia than if I had not gone, a few years later I visited Tasmania, for no good reason at all, just wanted to see it. The Mayan philosophy seems to hold birth and death with the same regard, one seems to be a natural continuation of the other, perhaps the western view that death is a bad thing is an unnatural view.
Bye the bye barnie, this is posted in the off topic category.
Old 20-02-2010, 09:32   #8

Boat: Irwin sloop
Predictions from an ancient society that sacrificed children to a feathered serpent god hold very little credence with me. And when you are writing on stone there is bound to be a point where you wipe the sweat from your brow and say " Enough already , lets put an end to this" Jesse
Jesse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-02-2010, 09:46   #9

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: We're technically refugees from our home in Yemen now living in Lebenon
Boat: 1978 CT48
Yeh...its all over...have a nice day
Or
Barnies boat will transport us back/forward to the days of the Mayans...its all over
James S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-02-2010, 09:53   #10
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 422
Well, our planet is in a very small system way out on the edge of our galaxy of millions of other solar systems. The fact that from our very limited perspective something millions of light years away happens to line up a certain way from our extremely narrow perspective from where our little planet happens to be at a certain time; all seems to be of no consequence at all on a cosmic scale.

Is the human race really arrogant enough to think that the entire universe will end because we can see something a certain way from where we sit?
skipmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-02-2010, 10:00   #11

Boat: 50' steel canal and river cruiser
Maybe its got more to do with humans thinking everything revolves round them.

We are just stardust made of only 92 elements. Nothing so special that we are unique.
Old 20-02-2010, 10:04   #12
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
Quote:
Originally Posted by captain58sailin View Post
... I have to admit I did fly to Australia in November of 1999, not because of any fear, I just wanted to be stranded somewhere nice if perchance all the doom Sayers were correct ...
If you intended to watch the millennium turn over, from Australia, then you were a full year early.

In any case, here’s a prophesy (mine) you can count on:
“The world will NOT end on Dec. 21, 2012.”

The Mayan calendar was designed to be cyclical, so the fact that the long count comes to an end in December 2012 is of absolutely no consequence. Simply, it is the end of great calendar cycle in Mayan society, much like our modern society celebrated the new Millennium. It does not mean that the "world will end.” In fact, the Mayan calendar does not end then, and there is no evidence to suggest that the Mayans ever claimed any knowledge for the world’s demise.

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-02-2010, 10:04   #13

I thought it interesting that the Mayans were able to project the progression of the constellations into the future some 2100 years with a fair degree of accuracy, and the Egyptians, Sumerians, and Mesopotanians were able to do this as well. The connection for me is the stars that are overhead can carry a great meaning and when one is at sea, one has the chance to observe the stars, and the time to comtemplate what it all may mean in the bigger picture. If we are truly insignificant then what does it hurt?
Old 20-02-2010, 10:09   #14

At the time Gord, the thought was when the calendar clicked over to the year 2000, that the computers would all fail because the programmers hadn't allocated 4 digits for the dates on the computer programs and no one knew exactly what was going to happen to all the computerized systems. I don't believe the world will end, and I am with you it represents the end of the long count. Perhaps it will represent a new begining.
Old 20-02-2010, 10:48   #15

Boat: Farrier f27
The key thought is that the Mayan time concept is cyclical not linear. It is as Gord and others have pointed out no different than one year ending and another year beginning at Dec 31/Jan 1.
Randy is offline   Reply With Quote