Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 20-02-2010, 19:44   #31

Boat: Skookum 53'
"Mayan Cosmogenesis 2012" by John Major Jenkins, was the one book on the subject that I have read, I also have read the works of Carlos Castaneda, all with out altering my consciousness by using any kind of drugs. Neither of these people advocate that path. If you want a real mind bender try "Who Built the Moon" by Christopher Knight, that sent me on a search for ancient navigation techniques.Any time we experience something, we alter our consciouness, unless one is totally in a coma, and who can say what that experience may bring. Who can say how we are affected by new experiences, or what is the answer to it all. I can testify that working a repetive job such as the slime line in a fish plant allows you to send your mind in all different directions, since you only need about 1/10 of one percent of your brain to properly process fish and not injure yourself. What about the premise that we are only using 10% of our brains? What is happening in the other 90%? When one is sailing offshore, the enormity of the universe, and the ocean is right in front of you. How can one not contemplate the different possibilities?

Old 20-02-2010, 19:57   #32

Boat: Irwin 41 CC Ketch
Quote:
Originally Posted by roverhi View Post
Actually, the reason the calendar ended in 2012 is very simple. The guy entrusted with carving the calendar onto the rock ran out of space. When he went to the Empire council with a request for more blocks of rocks to continue the calendar, they turned him down as a cost cutting measure in favor of a new disemboweling platform. Besides, the guy was already 500+ years ahead which was long after the councilors term in office would be over so they weren't going to be around to blame. So you see, nothing has changed in the political world.

A classic!...I cant top that one so I wont even try.

Relationships are everything to me...everything else in life is just a tool to enhance them.
Stillraining is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-02-2010, 20:35   #33
Ita

Boat: CAL 36
If you think the world is about to end, remember is already tomorrow in Australia!!!
Old 20-02-2010, 22:22   #34

Boat: 440 Lagoon
Any 440 Lagoon owners that believe in the 2012 and would like to dump your boat, I hear the Ocean is going to be pretty rough. I would be willing to alieve you of such a tortures end.
VERTIGO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-02-2010, 03:31   #35
Armchair Bucketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boomp View Post
I know it was genuine curiosty re 2012 and thats fine, but one person haplessy said the Bible was vague. ? In 20+ years of serious study I have not seen that. [pssst its not OK to offend others] That Bible comment is absolutely wrong. ie Daniel was written hundreds of years before Christ and yet if you compute the 69 weeks of years correctly [Dan 9:25] you will see the mathematical certainty of his becoming the messsiah in 29 C.E. Isaiah named Cyrus [Is 45:1] over 200 years before he was born and said he would conquor Babylon. He did. Some 300 other prophecies also came true.
I am suspect of anything outside that realm. The world we live in and its prevailing spiritual attitude are proof enough for me that we can't succeed without the Creator being included in the equation and I believe earth will be here forever. Mayan calandar, Y2K, Nastrodamus, people who think they're smarter than God...baloney.
One of the things that I like about CF.com are the cultural differences Not to say that I understand or agree with all the varying attitudes, but interesting to hear nonetheless - and I don't feel the need to counter with my views as a matter of course, nor on CF.com do I simply give in to temptation (well, mostly not ).

But some things are best not left unchallenged, even if that involves calling a spade a spade - or in this case: a crock of sh#t.

In my book important for f#ckwittery to be called what it is whenever it raises it's head - religions simply trade on a claim for "normality" and "respect" usually also involving fear - take that away and Gods die and in these parts yer no longer get sacrificed for godicide

Whilst I can understand why some (? ) folks may well be offended if their spoutings based on stone age fear of the dark beliefs (whether Mayan mumbo jumbo, man on a stick worship, kiddie fiddling homage or Cat worship) are not respected - f#ck 'em

Anyway, am now off to lunch
David_Old_Jersey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-02-2010, 03:45   #36

Boat: 50' steel canal and river cruiser
David
What have I told you about not drinking and playing the ouija board?

I sure as hell dont know what you said but you didnt say it very clearly.
Old 21-02-2010, 09:48   #37

Boat: Skookum 53'
We could all just run off of cliffs like the lemmings.
Old 21-02-2010, 10:44   #38

Boat: Irwin 41 CC Ketch
Quote:
Originally Posted by David_Old_Jersey View Post
One of the things that I like about CF.com are the cultural differences Not to say that I understand or agree with all the varying attitudes, but interesting to hear nonetheless - and I don't feel the need to counter with my views as a matter of course, nor on CF.com do I simply give in to temptation (well, mostly not ).

Hey Dave.....will you come to church with me next week...

Relationships are everything to me...everything else in life is just a tool to enhance them.
Stillraining is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-02-2010, 11:22   #39

Boat: Morgan OI 30' Itinerant
medicine is good

Obviously this is not the forum for religious idealogue. I have many good Mayan friends who really got deeply into the old religious beliefs. Fortunately for all concerned they no longer do human sacrifice. Most have a combination of the old beliefs and mix them w Catholicism. The comment of the 'many predictions that are out there and the Bible being vague' rubbed me wrong and I knew it to be inaccurate. I'm aware the remark was innocently said and not due to a lack of intelligence, but to a lack of accurate knowledge.
David, I'm afraid [Q etoh] there is no medicine for your conditon. But, maybe this will work

J.M.Synge, in The Aran Islands
Boomp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-02-2010, 12:14   #40

Boat: a sailing boat
Quote:
Originally Posted by anjou View Post

I sure as hell dont know what you said but you didnt say it very clearly.
I think he said: "f--- them". What's unclear about this?

b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-02-2010, 12:32   #41
S/V rubber ducky

Boat: Hunter 410
Quote:
Originally Posted by skipmac;

Is the human race really arrogant enough to think that the entire universe will end because we can see something a certain way from where we sit?

Well - YES!
sailorboy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-02-2010, 12:40   #42

We could do like they do in New Orleans when a hurricane is coming - board up the windows, crank up the piano, break out the booze and have a hell of a party. If the world ends, you have the fun and skip the hangover. If the world doesn't end, celebrate dodging the bullet.
TexSail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-02-2010, 13:06   #43

Boat: 41' Custom CC Cutter
Quote:
Originally Posted by GordMay View Post
You can read Pinchbeck with an open, or “altered”, mind; but, even so, I hardly think it would be worth one’s time. Nonetheless, should you choose to read this drivel, I'd suggest coming to it with an empty mind, like the author's.

Daniel Pinchbeck advocate of the use of psychedelic substances such as LSD, Psilocybin mushrooms, and peyote for enriching people's intellectual, psychological and spiritual beliefs through the psychedelic experience.

In his first book, “Breaking Open the Head”, Pinchbeck explored psychedelic shamanism.
Pinchbeck's second book, “2012: The Return of Quetzalcoatl”, examines prophecy. While partaking in the psychedelic brew ayahuasca, the voice of the Mesoamerican deity Quetzalcoatl, began speaking to him during a 2004 trip to the Amazon.
Well then, you'll really enjoy this video of Terence McKenna explaining his novelty theory derived from his wave graph based on the structure of the I Ching. It is the most involved theory of change in 2012 I've ever run across. The visuals are also a lovely flashback to the 60' & 70's.

We won't have to wait much longer to know for sure, now will we.
Old 21-02-2010, 13:23   #44
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
Quote:
Originally Posted by speakeasy View Post
... We won't have to wait much longer to know for sure, now will we.
Some of us already know for sure.

GordMay is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 21-02-2010, 13:32   #45
CF Adviser

Boat: Boatless, for now, Cat enthusiast
Oh, boy. Religion. Prediction. The End. Fun stuff, so long as it comes with a bottle of Herradura Anejo.

I find myself particularly amused with the degree of confidence people have about their chosen deity's revelations. So, let's see: At the very most, all of these revelations have come about during a period of time that encompasses no more than .000001% of just Earth's history. Earth, one planet around one star, of which there might be between 200 to 400 billion just in "our" galaxy; of which there may be 500 billion (or more) galaxies in the universe (or at least the part we can see, so far). If we assume that ours is an average solar system of 8 planets (sorry, Pluto), then that's 1.2 septillion planets.

And, somehow, we've got the absolute truth for all things, in all places, at all times? In English, no less? (or, Latin; or, Arabic; or, Hindi; take your pick)

Anybody got some lemon, and salt?

ID

Observations are gold; hypotheses, silver; and conclusions, bronze.

Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote.--Ben Franklin

Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but not their own facts.--Daniel Patrick Moynihan
Intentional Drifter is offline   Reply With Quote