Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 20-02-2010, 11:44   #16

Boat: 1976 Alberg 37 Yawl hull 172
Quote:
Originally Posted by zeehag View Post
LOL....same s*** as the millineum bs...LOL...anyone believing in the stupidity of it all deserves to have consequences of high stress and sleepless nites...smooooth sailing everyone!!!!
Exactly! If the Mayans really knew that much about the future, they would've hidden in the bushes when the Spaniards showed up.
Zednotzee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-02-2010, 11:52   #17
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Research vessel for a university, retired now.
I think we need to worry about this like we needed to worry about Y2K. People have predicted gloom and doom for the world for centuries and it still has not happened.

Only when I hear about a mile wide asteroid about to hit the Earth or Al-Qaeda or the Taliban obtaining an ICBM will I start worrying.

Life begins where land ends.
David M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-02-2010, 11:56   #18

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: We're technically refugees from our home in Yemen now living in Lebenon
Boat: 1978 CT48
Quote:
Originally Posted by David M View Post
I think we need to worry about this like we needed to get worried about Y2K. People have predicted gloom and doom for the world for centuries and it still has not happened.

Only when I hear about a mile wide asteroid about to hit the Earth or Al-Qaeda or the Taliban obtaining an ICBM will I worry.
Tell that to the Dinosaurs
James S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-02-2010, 12:05   #19

Boat: 50' steel canal and river cruiser
Im more worried about the volcano under jellystone thats about due to blow, or the amount of gas centrifuges iran have busilly enriching U235 to weapons grade.
Old 20-02-2010, 12:25   #20

Boat: Stevens 47
Read the book "2012: The Return of Quetzacoatl" by Daniel Pinchbeck. It is a hard heady read but well worth it. Like everything else....you can choose to believe it all...or just some of it....or none at all....or maybe you can read it with an open mind and take from it what you will even if it is just an exercise in making you think a little beyond the humdrum material world.

(Open minded can be defined as "State where you stand without standing your ground")
Old 20-02-2010, 12:46   #21

I am old enough to remember Barry MacGuire's Eve of Destruction, Paul Erlich's predictions of worldwide starvation, the communists would take the US over by 1975, the global cooling hysteria of the 1970s, Hale-Bopp Comet, Berlitz's book about the end of the world in 1999, Nostradamus, Y2K, a few more that escape me - now this.

The boy who cried "Wolf" comes to mind. Predicting the future if fraught with peril.

Party like the world will end in 2012 but go ahead and file your income tax and change the oil just in case.
TexSail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-02-2010, 12:52   #22
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rangiroo View Post
Read the book "2012: The Return of Quetzacoatl" by Daniel Pinchbeck. It is a hard heady read but well worth it...
You can read Pinchbeck with an open, or “altered”, mind; but, even so, I hardly think it would be worth one’s time. Nonetheless, should you choose to read this drivel, I'd suggest coming to it with an empty mind, like the author's.

Daniel Pinchbeck advocate of the use of psychedelic substances such as LSD, Psilocybin mushrooms, and peyote for enriching people's intellectual, psychological and spiritual beliefs through the psychedelic experience.

In his first book, “Breaking Open the Head”, Pinchbeck explored psychedelic shamanism.
Pinchbeck's second book, “2012: The Return of Quetzalcoatl”, examines prophecy. While partaking in the psychedelic brew ayahuasca, the voice of the Mesoamerican deity Quetzalcoatl, began speaking to him during a 2004 trip to the Amazon.

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-02-2010, 13:19   #23
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: 1976 Sabre 28-2
Send a message via Yahoo to roverhi
Actually, the reason the calendar ended in 2012 is very simple. The guy entrusted with carving the calendar onto the rock ran out of space. When he went to the Empire council with a request for more blocks of rocks to continue the calendar, they turned him down as a cost cutting measure in favor of a new disemboweling platform. Besides, the guy was already 500+ years ahead which was long after the councilors term in office would be over so they weren't going to be around to blame. So you see, nothing has changed in the political world.
roverhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-02-2010, 16:05   #24

Boat: Morgan, O.I. 33' Dutch Treat
There has to be some truth to it due to the fact Nostradamus also predicted the end of life around the same time alone with other ancient scholors.

There is a island I beleive in the Chile waters that if you go there on Dec. 21, 2012 you can watch the solar alinement that all the Mayan Calenders have been based on.

When it comes to the history of the Mayan people it is very hard to understand fulley due to the Spainards destored all but 3 documents so we are left with very little pieces like a puzzle, if you could picture this: all man kind are gone any writen history is long gone the only thing a visitor from space would have to base what our life was like would be statue like Abe Lincoln or buildings that have writing on them in stone. To them old Abe would look to be a King, they could even find some artifacts that would lead them to beleive we lived a life of war and torture.

Yes I do beleive there is life in space, but I do not beleive the world will end in 2012, nor do I beleive we will hear the horns that will signal the start of the rapture. If anything the world will end due to a large mass from space striking earth the same cause that ended the dinasor age.

Dutch
johnar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-02-2010, 16:45   #25

Location: Currently in South Haven Mi hopping to soon be in a warmer climite.
Boat: 17ft runabout my boat 2
Send a message via Yahoo to gunslinger9729
Actually the Mayans believed in the cycles of life. They thought that people go through cycles and need to live many lives to acheave a place with the gods. They also pleaved that planets were living things as were the stars and everything else in the universe. Everything went through cycles just like people did and the calander showes those cycles. I think if I remember they believed everything went through 13 cycles before you go to the next level whatever that level is. I think we are going into the 4th or 5th planet cycle according to them. I might have the number wrong but I am close I think. Even at the last cycle they dont say that "Thats all folks" they said that you just go to a new level and start the cycles again.
gunslinger9729 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-02-2010, 19:10   #26

Boat: Morgan OI 30' Itinerant
Somebody has to be right...

I know it was genuine curiosty re 2012 and thats fine, but one person haplessy said the Bible was vague. ? In 20+ years of serious study I have not seen that. [pssst its not OK to offend others] That Bible comment is absolutely wrong. ie Daniel was written hundreds of years before Christ and yet if you compute the 69 weeks of years correctly [Dan 9:25] you will see the mathematical certainty of his becoming the messsiah in 29 C.E. Isaiah named Cyrus [Is 45:1] over 200 years before he was born and said he would conquor Babylon. He did. Some 300 other prophecies also came true.
I am suspect of anything outside that realm. The world we live in and its prevailing spiritual attitude are proof enough for me that we can't succeed without the Creator being included in the equation and I believe earth will be here forever. Mayan calandar, Y2K, Nastrodamus, people who think they're smarter than God...baloney.

J.M.Synge, in The Aran Islands
Boomp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-02-2010, 19:22   #27

Boat: Farrier f27
Sweet!! turn this into a religious debate.
Boomp who offended you? Where was the Bible comment that was offensive? Sorry I missed it.
Randy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-02-2010, 19:24   #28
Eternal Member

Boat: Ericson 27 & 18' Herrmann Catboat
Just like saying we are in a new decade...we aren't

The 20th century didn't end in Jan 2000 it endend on Dec 31 2000.

As far as UFO's go.....I don't believe we have ever been visited by aliens.....what with the ginourmous numbers of cameras on cellphones etc....we should be getting more pictures. Nope none......
Chief Engineer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-02-2010, 19:32   #29
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41
does make a gooood excuse fgo rgoing sailing, i agree lol...and , as they do in noo orleenzz--laissez les bon temps roulez!!!!
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-02-2010, 19:35   #30

Boat: Morgan, O.I. 33' Dutch Treat
I believe that when people voice their "own views" that this should not be deemed as being offensive. Each one of us have our own views on topics discussed herein and should thus be considered only as "our views" and not be interpreted as responding "haplessly". My wife and I both have different views on the bible and their interpretations. She is a born again Christian (Baptist) who believes that the bible says that "no one knows the hour or the day" of the rapture. I know that she has spoken of the antichrist and various things that "must take place prior to the rapture". I have my own views and we leave it at that. We have discussed the various theories of the 2012 coming but again- my wife believes the bible is very clear on what must take place BEFORE the rapture will occur. The antichrist is in existence now - a member of the European Union - and will take his place at the appropropriate time. I do not argue with her about her views and she respects mine. I therefore also respect your views whether or not I am in agreement or not.
johnar is offline   Reply With Quote