Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-06-2010, 07:46   #1

Boat: SJ23 1988
MarkJ..... WWW warrior!

Ok... how do you do it? I see your replies all over this board, yet you are out on your dream... that many of us are green with envy about.

You are supposed to be sailing... how is it you are here... what seems to be "All the time"... what kind of access do you have on your boat.. is it a screen at the wheel with a keyboard attached to the wheel/tiller???

Just knowing you reply so often, makes me think that my thoughts are correct on accesssing the web and managing my business from the boat. I just need to understand how you do it and what I need to look for/purchase to manage that level of access.

Cheers and happy sailing Sir!
FxdGrMind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2010, 07:50   #2
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Camper Nicholson 44 Ketch
The news it out - Mark and Nicole are not actually out cruising. They are holed up in a bomb shelter underneath the yard of a home in Perth. They were discovered recently by a group of teenagers playing badminton. When asked what they were doing there, Mark reportedly replied "I am cruising, man, cruising. Want some home made beer?"

Chris
witzgall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2010, 07:54   #3

Boat: Chiquita 46 - Libertalia
I have worked all over using umts internet (mobile phone network), since you're mostly in coastal range that's fine. For my next voyage I am considering a cheap satellite phone for access in middle of pond. Inmarsat have just launched an affordable (600ish) phone that could also go in the ditch bag..
Old 07-06-2010, 08:22   #4

Mark and Nicole are going around faster and hence, actually sailing more often than most circumnavigating couples. Nevertheless, the boat is still at anchor with potential Internet access more often than it is at sea.

OTOH, I've always been a little suspicious. How do we know they're not Photoshopping these pictures from a basement in Sydney?:
Attached Images

Kenneth Grahame, The Wind in the Willows (River Rat to Mole)
slomotion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2010, 08:30   #5

Boat: Long range motor cruiser
If they are in a basement, they're in big trouble for the worry we had when they were out of touch during the period of their transit from Asia to the Med.

P.
The message is the journey, we are sure the answer lies in the destination. But in reality, there is no station, no place to arrive at once and for all. The joy of life is the trip, and the station is a dream that constantly out distances us”. Robert Hastings, The Station
fishwife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2010, 09:49   #6
Long Range Cruiser

Location: Australian living on "Sea Life" currently in England.
Boat: Beneteau 393 "Sea Life"
Heheh, yep photoshoppin in Sydney

Funnily enough the internet connection thing has us riding the crest of a brand new wave that is sweeping the world.

A few months before we left home USB modems arrived in Australia. None in the USA! Or the Caribbean & Pacific, but its all the way though Asia and the Middle East. Pre-paid is the only option as its impossable to do a 12 month contract, of course.
Even a slow link will get text for emails I have posted here up to 12 nms off shore.

As for posting far too much ( ) I just use the internet as a bit of relaxation in between boat jobs and having fun. Nic sleeps longer than me and up at 6am I gotta do something quiet...

Cruising is different for each person or couple. Some folks sit in their cockpit all day reading, others do boat jobs all day (their boats muct be beautiful!) other walking, siting in bars cafe's etc....

When we came away I thought I would not have internet much at all, but we are so lucky! All my technical questions answered here, for free, and so speedily; all our trip planning, anchorages, historical research, maps... the whole lot is at our fingertips!! Even findin the supermarkets and bus stations is just a quick look on Google earth and then put the L&L into a handheld GPS and go walk!

Apart form that here we are relaxing after traveling so much, and we have a long trip to go to the Caribbean by Christmas. So this is our break. in a town with chandlery’s (not good ones!), but no swimming yet, no snorkeling, no fishing.

So its boat jobs and the net for another 2 weeks. Nice and slow boat jobs one per day and lots of relaxing chatting to friends on CF (and brewing beer!)

I hope posting so often doesn't piss too many people off. Oh well. they can wait till our next passage

Mark

Somalia Pirates and our Convoy
MarkJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2010, 09:55   #7

Boat: Irwin 41 CC Ketch
Your my kind of cruiser Mark...Some Brewing, some relaxing, some site seeing, some projects, some camaraderie, some...................well never mind..

Relationships are everything to me...everything else in life is just a tool to enhance them.
Stillraining is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2010, 10:41   #8

Boat: 50' steel canal and river cruiser
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkJ View Post
Nic sleeps longer than me
Mark
I guess thats Nic getting her portion of the beauty sleep. Your obviously not getting yours

When are you destined to get to the UK?
Old 07-06-2010, 10:44   #9

Boat: 47' Olympic Adventure
Quote:
Originally Posted by idpnd View Post
I. For my next voyage I am considering a cheap satellite phone for access in middle of pond. Inmarsat have just launched an affordable (600ish) phone that could also go in the ditch bag..
$600 gets you the phone. Did you take a look at the cost of service plans?
Lodesman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2010, 10:53   #10
Long Range Cruiser

Location: Australian living on "Sea Life" currently in England.
Boat: Beneteau 393 "Sea Life"
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stillraining View Post
Your my kind of cruiser Mark...Some Brewing, some relaxing, some site seeing, some projects, some camaraderie,
Yeah, it beats the hell outta working

Quote:
Originally Posted by anjou View Post
I guess thats Nic getting her portion of the beauty sleep. Your obviously not getting yours
When are you destined to get to the UK?
Yeah, she needs lots UK in 2 years...? looking into it slowly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lodesman View Post
Prepaid plan isnt too much and we just use ours to Text Message for 50c per SMS. We sure don't talk on it.

Somalia Pirates and our Convoy
MarkJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2010, 12:09   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkJ View Post
Yeah, it beats the hell outta working
So, don't you have a job at all? No need to respond if it's too personal a question, I'm just trying to figure out the best way to live once I go cruising. (I'm definitely gong to look into that hair cutting idea you posted on another forum though)
Kit-renard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2010, 12:25   #12

Boat: Irwin 41 CC Ketch
Hey is Nico sitting on what I think it is...wow! and we thought a two hole-er was up town..

Relationships are everything to me...everything else in life is just a tool to enhance them.
Stillraining is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2010, 12:41   #13

And to answer Kit's question: YES! Mark's real job is high fashion photography.

Kenneth Grahame, The Wind in the Willows (River Rat to Mole)
slomotion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2010, 12:51   #14

Boat: Beneteau 36.7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lodesman View Post
Inmarsat Isat Service - Globalcom

$20 "Basic", $95 includes two "free" hours per month (beats $2.20 prepaid Ion their plan but has monthly fee aspect). Can work as a 2400bps modem - haven't seen the data cost in the plan yet.

Mark's beer is super strength, the pictures aren't photoshopped, they are beamed from his imagination.
theonecalledtom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2010, 13:09   #15
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Cooper 416 Honeysuckle
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stillraining View Post
Hey is Nico sitting on what I think it is...wow! and we thought a two hole-er was up town..

It's even got the brick one beat!

hummingway is offline   Reply With Quote