Cruisers Forum

Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 20-04-2013, 05:52   #31
Neo

Boat: Pearson 31
Re: Marathon Bombers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pelagic View Post
Yes they can… but realizing that is the beginning of finding solutions.

What I am referring to is teaching what every Israeli citizen has inbred into them after a lifetime of those kinds of terror attacks….
i.e.….The mindset to be more security observant, to recognize and report strange behavior by individuals in crowded areas.

Most experienced cruisers become sensitive to reading crowds and individuals in their travels….
While 9/11 was an uncontrolled event from the air….Boston attack will reinforce that it has now become a prerequisite for every US citizen to be more vigilant at home.
I hope the government actually starts to teach their citizens what to look for… starting with the school kids
Agreed. The spectator who lost both his legs reported that he had looked into the eyes of the bomber as the bomber put the duffel bag down right next to him and walked away. One minute latter it went off.

But the thing that strikes me the most during one of these events is how connected we all are. Everyone knows someone that was there or was almost there, or knows someone who knows someone from the victim's family or the terrorist's family. I live in this area so the connects are great in number. For one, my niece's father in-law was the high school wrestling coach for one of the terrorists. (I never even knew he coached wrestling.) We don't usually recognize these connections until a horrible and shocking event like this sparks a conversation. It's a powerful thing. Not sure what it means, but I know this forum sparks little conversations every day, and I know that is a good thing.
Old 20-04-2013, 05:53   #32
cruiser

Boat: Hunter 31'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Crab View Post
I'd have felt better if one of the 10,000 LEOs had found bomber #2. He was beyond the police perimeter. The home/boat owner coulda have been dead too. The police caught a big break but few have noticed.

I guess ... He might not have been in the tightest perimeter (I was out and didn't see the news as it broke), but he was within Watertown, and the whole town was under tight control. Their tight controls work. The suspect found a place to hide within a highly restricted area, and that contributed significantly to his being caught. I don't think the police caught a "big break."

But I completely agree about the homeowner. He should have crept back into his house and called 911. They easily spotted the man with heat-seeking sensors from a helicopter. Homeowner is lucky he didn't get a head full of gun spray. If the kid had been less hurt, he could have come into the home and have taken them all hostage.

Frankly, I'll never understand why the home owner did what he did.
Old 20-04-2013, 05:54   #33
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete7 View Post
Let me correct that for you.

You write your posts, and I'll write mine. I left out that obvious part to make a different point.
Old 20-04-2013, 05:55   #34
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluemoose View Post
If they had just kept their birth rates high, in a generation they could have a solid majority... but that requires patience.

I didn't mean to sound like I supported the SF/IRA. I'm not educated enough on that conflict to support a side, and as it's a domestic UK issue. It would be like someone from the UK weighing in on US internals...

Old 20-04-2013, 05:59   #35
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete7 View Post
Refusing to pay taxes to Her Majesty and going to war for independence I can understand although I don't agree with it and its not too late to pay up btw, but having an internal war, that is just barking. The only people who gained were the bankers who pay rolled it. So I won't comment on US internals if you don't mind

Now that this thread as drifted quite a long way, I would like to say thank God its over and these two bad apples have been stopped in their tracks. Does Boston have the death penalty btw?

Pete

No, but the federal government does, and he may well be brought up on federal charges. In fact, right now they're treating him, legally, as a hostile military combantant. He hasn't been read his rights and does not have to be given a lawyer. They can get away with this because they don't need what he says to convict him, so it doesn't matter that what he says would be inadmissable in court. They're looking for intelligence, not stuff to convict him on.

I think the big issue is to make sure there aren't others involved, organized cells of such people in other places within our borders, etc.

I'm not comfortable with the not reading of rights and no access to a lawyer. I'm just reporting what's being done as of now.
Old 20-04-2013, 07:24   #36

Boat: O'Day 28

Cops may have also caught another big break by #2 not being a US citizen. Think that explains the Miranda issues.

And he wasn't wearing explosives and obviously he could have been.

And what now? 60 years of imprisonment at 25-30K a year? Let's hope not.
Old 20-04-2013, 08:47   #37

Luckily, he saw that tear and alerted the authorities. I guess being obsessed with his boat was a good thing. Now all you guys have another excuse for going to the boat. National Security!
Old 20-04-2013, 08:53   #38
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Crab View Post
Cops may have also caught another big break by #2 not being a US citizen. Think that explains the Miranda issues.

And he wasn't wearing explosives and obviously he could have been.

And what now? 60 years of imprisonment at 25-30K a year? Let's hope not.
No. You do not surrender your rights under the US Constitution if you aren't a citizen. It was a choice of viewing him as a civilian or an enemy combatant. In other words, treating him like the detainees at Guantanamo.

They have decided that he is a civilian, have read him his rights, and are getting him a lawyer. The Miranda warning only applies to statements of guilt. They are going to have no trouble proving his guilt. In addition, he is a naturalized US citizens. Any report that he had not taken that step is in error.
Old 20-04-2013, 08:55   #39
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailor g View Post
Luckily, he saw that tear and alerted the authorities. I guess being obsessed with his boat was a good thing. Now all you guys have another excuse for going to the boat. National Security!
He did a lot more than that. He saw blood on the tear. He went and got a stepladder, lifted up the tarp, and looked in. He's lucky the kid was so badly hurt, or the kid could have shot him in the face and then gone and taken hostages.
Old 20-04-2013, 09:13   #40

Boat: O'Day 28
pirate Re: Marathon Bombers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakuflames View Post
No. You do not surrender your rights under the US Constitution if you aren't a citizen. It was a choice of viewing him as a civilian or an enemy combatant. In other words, treating him like the detainees at Guantanamo...

Tell me again why non-citizens have Constitutional rights?

Raku: I am getting out of the armchair. I am joking. Please don't bother answering the above rhetorical question.

Thank you.

Over and out.
Old 20-04-2013, 09:21   #41
C.L.O.D

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Sorry, folks, I can't find any link to cruising in this thread, so am going to close it, pending mod team review.

Whilst I'm sure we are all horrified by these constant terrorist attacks, here is not the place to discuss them.
Closed Thread