Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-08-2009, 03:33   #1
CLOD

Boat: none
Lobster Pots II

I said this last year, but just have to say it again. Lobster pots have some kind of magnetic type of attraction for fiberglass. If there is only one pot in an area your boat will somehow head right toward it. This year I have an auto pilot and now know that somehow the pots can effect the it also so that it also steers directly to the pot. Half the time I probably couldn't have found that pot if I had tried, but for the special boat attraction I seem to see them all (aren't they pretty sometimes). And I'm not talking about all the ones that are dropped in the middle of the narrow channel that everyone has to sail though (I've noticed the power boaters just run over them), I'm talking about the ones out in the open 75' deep water all by themselves.

There also seems to be lots of lobster pots in the mooring field lately. I wonder if some idiot put them there, or are boats bringing more of them back with them lately.
sailorboy1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2009, 03:44   #2
CF Adviser
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 380, now sold
I hear ya, Don. I'm thankful for my full keel with attached rudder. All but one have just slid down the side and popped up in my wake. The ones that blow my mind here in the Caribbean are the fish traps that use a pair of clear plastic two liter drink bottles for the toggle floats. They're impossible to see until you're right on top of them, especially when there're whitecaps on the water.
Old 10-08-2009, 06:55   #3
S&S

Boat: 48' 1963 S&S yawl
Between NS and PEI you can (almost) walk from the mainland to the island on them. Aah, the joys of a full keel ( we just slid over them).
S&S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2009, 07:54   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Lived aboard & cruised for 45 years,- now on a chair in my walk-in closet.
Boat: Morgan OI 413 1973 - Aythya
In this view out of Tenants Harbor, Maine, we estimated about 1,500 trap floats.

They're using bright irridescent paints on the floats that will leave a mark on your hull when you slide against them. It looks like someone has covered Maine with ice cream desert sprinkles. 'take care and joy, Aythya crew
Hudson Force is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2009, 08:07   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Research vessel for a university, retired now.
We are going to have to export Cal Fish & Game to the east coast. I'm sure they would severely limit the number of pots allowed.

I'm no biologist but that number of pots in one area in the picture seems like grotesque over harvesting to me.

Life begins where land ends.
David M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2009, 08:13   #6
CF Adviser

Boat: Boatless, for now, Cat enthusiast
I especially appreciate the "stealth" crab pots -- the ones painted dark green, dark blue and black.

Why on earth would someone do that? I know they aren't the most expensive things in the world, but they do cost money and time/trouble to put out. Why would someone paint them so that they are hard to see?

ID

Observations are gold; hypotheses, silver; and conclusions, bronze.

Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote.--Ben Franklin

Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but not their own facts.--Daniel Patrick Moynihan
Intentional Drifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2009, 10:22   #7

Boat: Defever 41 "Bear Holiday"
Send a message via Skype™ to hanschristian38
Quote:
Originally Posted by David M View Post
We are going to have to export Cal Fish & Game to the east coast. I'm sure they would severely limit the number of pots allowed.

I'm no biologist but that number of pots in one area in the picture seems like grotesque over harvesting to me.
We enjoy better lobster catches year after year in Maine. We limit sizes both large and small. The large lobsters reproduce more abundantly so if you see a 5 pound lobster in the store, it isn't from Maine.

Don't worry about us running short on lobster. Prices are low right now so buy lots!
hanschristian38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2009, 10:30   #8

Boat: 50' steel canal and river cruiser
I would if i could as I love lobster and lived on it when I was in NS a few years ago.Its way too expensive here in the UK as are scallops and all fish. Makes me sad when I remember catching 300 ish mackeral a day and giving most away to family and friends.
Old 10-08-2009, 11:06   #9

Aye, then there are the crab pots in the Chesapeake Bay.
redcobra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2009, 11:12   #10
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: Gozzard 36
Send a message via Skype™ to Pblais
Quote:
Aye, then there are the crab pots in the Chesapeake Bay.
They came back this year. Last year was quite thin what with the ban. More gill nets though. They now have $9 million to buy back licenses, but it won't buy very many. I suspect the wet summer will add more water and so keep the Oxygen levels a bit higher. So the crabs may get a brief if not needed boost. They still can't hire pickers so the market is still pretty screwed up.
Pblais is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2009, 14:59   #11
CLOD

Boat: none
Ok CaptFotce I'm going to have to start taking pictures down her in Mass now as think it can give Maine a run for the lobster.

I've noticed that low price to the lobster people haven't been passed to us when we got out to eat!!!!
sailorboy1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2009, 16:51   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Intentional Drifter View Post
I especially appreciate the "stealth" crab pots -- the ones painted dark green, dark blue and black.

Why on earth would someone do that? I know they aren't the most expensive things in the world, but they do cost money and time/trouble to put out. Why would someone paint them so that they are hard to see?

ID
They do that to avoid having someone else check their pots. We have alot of shrimp and crab pots get checked/stolen up here too. Get's old when you spend $30 in gas to check your $200 pot just to find out it's been stolen or all the shrimp have been cleared out.
AKCoastie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2009, 16:56   #13

Boat: Defever 41 "Bear Holiday"
Send a message via Skype™ to hanschristian38
Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Lucas View Post
Ok CaptFotce I'm going to have to start taking pictures down her in Mass now as think it can give Maine a run for the lobster.

I've noticed that low price to the lobster people haven't been passed to us when we got out to eat!!!!
THe lobstermen have noticed it too. They are very upset that they are getting low prices while the restaurants continue to charge high prices. Several local lobstermen have pulled their traps this year because they are loosing money every time they haul.
hanschristian38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2009, 17:36   #14
Eternal Member

Boat: Ericson 27 & 18' Herrmann Catboat
Lobstermen need to cut out the middleman.....

Advertise on eBay....ship anywhere
Chief Engineer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2009, 17:51   #15

Boat: Morgan OI 30' Itinerant
Shoal draft, kedge and still I pick up pot warps!

If the propeller is running it sucks the rope right in...hate that! It seems that they place them everywhere in Mass, even in the channels. I'm all for people making a living but wish they'd at least feign regulation...oh, they are doing that. I dive for them and love to eat them...but not from the sail boat

J.M.Synge, in The Aran Islands
Boomp is offline   Reply With Quote