Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Flotsam & Sailing Miscellany
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-05-2021, 05:51   #16

Re: Info on how non US citizens can buy an RV

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyEss View Post
As for South America from the US - I don’t think the Darien Gap has been bridged with a road yet. From vague memory of an article I read recently, the ferry cost for vehicles was $$$$$$$.
You might be better off selling that RV in the States, sailing to South America, and buying yet another one for terrestrial exploration.
Haven't looked into it lately but the ferry cost wasn't bad.

Look into mail forwarding services. Many have set up for full timers, so they can give you an address to use for registration. A regular PO Box may not be acceptable for registration (we found that out when they told us no in Michigan)

When you get insurance make sure to be up front so they play gotch-ya when you have an accident.

Sales tax will be cheap compared to europe but still pays to check...but be careful, if you buy in one state for cheap taxes and register in another, they may ask for the difference in taxes. They typically call it "use tax" as opposed to "sales tax" but it amounts to the same thing as far as your wallet is concerned.

For North America only (USA/Canada/Mexico), getting any typical RV setup is fine. If you want to get into Central/South America, do some checking on available vehicles. Keep in mind, the same brand and even the same model may be substantially different (Example: A friend in Brazil has an F250 with a 4cyclinder diesel which isn't available in the USA). Ideally, you want something that is consistent across borders, so parts and repairs are easier.

Google driving the PanAmerican Highway and you will come across lots of info. It's a much different trip than just sticking to North America.
Old 07-05-2021, 07:19   #17

I contacted St Brendan's Isle out of Florida, but they say that I need to have a US address to register a vehicle. So still stuck on that one. Ref. a LLC in Montana, I understood that there was no sales tax in that state.
Old 07-05-2021, 07:56   #18

Boat: 50ft Custom Fast Catamaran

Quote:
Originally Posted by valhalla360 View Post
Haven't looked into it lately but the ferry cost wasn't bad.

Look into mail forwarding services. Many have set up for full timers, so they can give you an address to use for registration. A regular PO Box may not be acceptable for registration (we found that out when they told us no in Michigan)

When you get insurance make sure to be up front so they play gotch-ya when you have an accident.

Sales tax will be cheap compared to europe but still pays to check...but be careful, if you buy in one state for cheap taxes and register in another, they may ask for the difference in taxes. They typically call it "use tax" as opposed to "sales tax" but it amounts to the same thing as far as your wallet is concerned.

For North America only (USA/Canada/Mexico), getting any typical RV setup is fine. If you want to get into Central/South America, do some checking on available vehicles. Keep in mind, the same brand and even the same model may be substantially different (Example: A friend in Brazil has an F250 with a 4cyclinder diesel which isn't available in the USA). Ideally, you want something that is consistent across borders, so parts and repairs are easier.

Google driving the PanAmerican Highway and you will come across lots of info. It's a much different trip than just sticking to North America.

What type of RV did you do the PanAmerican Highway in?

Did you feel safe on this route?

What countries did you spend time in?
Old 07-05-2021, 08:44   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chotu View Post
What type of RV did you do the PanAmerican Highway in?

Did you feel safe on this route?

What countries did you spend time in?
Still in planning stage but other things side tracked it.

Current plan is to do the north half starting next summer (assuming things open back up). Then we will decide how to handle it when we hit Mexico.

Starting we are just doing a travel trailer. We will probably transition to a truck camper when we do the south half.

We have been to Brazil and may do a pre-trip (flying) to Ecuador and Peru later this year.
Old 07-05-2021, 08:49   #20

Thanks. The info on which states you can use a mail address to register is all really old. Is there any up to date info? This will perhaps determine where we buy.
Old 07-05-2021, 09:24   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobt4 View Post
I contacted St Brendan's Isle out of Florida, but they say that I need to have a US address to register a vehicle. So still stuck on that one. Ref. a LLC in Montana, I understood that there was no sales tax in that state.
As to Sales / Use taxation, the tax is established where the good is Sold [i.e., Sales tax] and / or where the good is Used [i.e., Use tax].

Unless the good, in this situation an Rv, is not sold into Montana or used in Montana, the State of Montana has situs with the good / RV. Unless you intend to reside in Montana one can forget about registration in Montana and forget about a Montana LLC. I live in 406 Country / Montana and own businesses in Montana. When I purchase goods or services in Montana there is no sales or use taxation. When my companies, purchase goods that are shipped into Montana or have services performed in Montana, the company incurs NO Sales or Use Taxation. If my company purchases goods or services that are shipped / performed outside of the Montana those goods and services are subject to the taxation of the State where the good or service is delivered.

There are others States that do not have sales or use taxation and there are States that do not have income taxation and there are States that do not have property taxation. Each State is unique. Sales / Use taxation is a modest cost typically only 6 to 8 percent of the sales price, much less than most countries VAT [GST/HST] taxation. Sales and use tax is a minor one time issue, don't over think it. If it is convenoient to purchase your RV in a State that does not have such taxation then make your purchase there, otherwise just pay the bill in the local where you desire to buy and begin your sojourning.

You will need "a place" that you call your physical address. Find one, then you are off and traveling. I know a person that uses a KOA campground as his physical address for his nomadic RV lifestyle. KOA campgrounds are all over the place and you likely will stay at them with your RV, along with staying in other public [State or Federal] and private campgrounds.

Reference to KOA:

https://koa.com/?gclid=659dccd72a4f1...%20Campgrounds

Then establish a separate mailing address. The UPS Stores have mailboxes one can rent. They will text you when something arrives. They can scan documents and forward to you electronically. They can forward your mail or parcels and of course you can have things drop shipped to UPS Stores for your pick up. I would suggest that you pick a campground for your physical residence location and then establish a mailing address in the same area so that the authorities and insurance companies and registration / licensing bureaus have no issues.

I am biased, but if you are going to travel in the USA, do come to Montaña, plan for between mid to late June through early September, the four seasons being June, July, August and Winter. A great place to avoid the summer heat and humidity of the southern States and the Eastern Coast and the Canadian Rockies beckons similarly. Go south for the winter unless you like winter sports.

As John Steinbeck wrote in his famous book about his road trip around the USA titled: Travels with Charley in Search of America - "I’m in love with Montana. For other states I have admiration, respect, recognition, even some affection. But with Montana it is love. And it’s difficult to analyze love when you’re in it.”

And as President Abraham Lincoln wrote in 1864, [fully 25 years before Montana became a State] when signing the Montana Territory Act. "“My favorite State has not yet been invented. It will be called Montaña, and it will be perfect.”

All the best.
Old 07-05-2021, 10:48   #22

Boat: ‘01 Catana 401

Quote:
Originally Posted by Montanan View Post
As to Sales / Use taxation, the tax is established where the good is Sold [i.e., Sales tax] and / or where the good is Used [i.e., Use tax].

Unless the good, in this situation an Rv, is not sold into Montana or used in Montana, the State of Montana has situs with the good / RV. Unless you intend to reside in Montana one can forget about registration in Montana and forget about a Montana LLC. I live in 406 Country / Montana and own businesses in Montana. When I purchase goods or services in Montana there is no sales or use taxation. When my companies, purchase goods that are shipped into Montana or have services performed in Montana, the company incurs NO Sales or Use Taxation. If my company purchases goods or services that are shipped / performed outside of the Montana those goods and services are subject to the taxation of the State where the good or service is delivered.

There are others States that do not have sales or use taxation and there are States that do not have income taxation and there are States that do not have property taxation. Each State is unique. Sales / Use taxation is a modest cost typically only 6 to 8 percent of the sales price, much less than most countries VAT [GST/HST] taxation. Sales and use tax is a minor one time issue, don't over think it. If it is convenoient to purchase your RV in a State that does not have such taxation then make your purchase there, otherwise just pay the bill in the local where you desire to buy and begin your sojourning.

You will need "a place" that you call your physical address. Find one, then you are off and traveling. I know a person that uses a KOA campground as his physical address for his nomadic RV lifestyle. KOA campgrounds are all over the place and you likely will stay at them with your RV, along with staying in other public [State or Federal] and private campgrounds.

Reference to KOA:

https://koa.com/?gclid=659dccd72a4f1...%20Campgrounds

Then establish a separate mailing address. The UPS Stores have mailboxes one can rent. They will text you when something arrives. They can scan documents and forward to you electronically. They can forward your mail or parcels and of course you can have things drop shipped to UPS Stores for your pick up. I would suggest that you pick a campground for your physical residence location and then establish a mailing address in the same area so that the authorities and insurance companies and registration / licensing bureaus have no issues.

I am biased, but if you are going to travel in the USA, do come to Montaña, plan for between mid to late June through early September, the four seasons being June, July, August and Winter. A great place to avoid the summer heat and humidity of the southern States and the Eastern Coast and the Canadian Rockies beckons similarly. Go south for the winter unless you like winter sports.

As John Steinbeck wrote in his famous book about his road trip around the USA titled: Travels with Charley in Search of America - "I’m in love with Montana. For other states I have admiration, respect, recognition, even some affection. But with Montana it is love. And it’s difficult to analyze love when you’re in it.”

And as President Abraham Lincoln wrote in 1864, [fully 25 years before Montana became a State] when signing the Montana Territory Act. "“My favorite State has not yet been invented. It will be called Montaña, and it will be perfect.”

All the best.

You left out the part about the cost of keeping a vehicle registered in Montana...I had forgotten how high the price is.....until I was visiting my Father in Kalispell and saw his vehicle registration. Oooof.
Old 07-05-2021, 11:01   #23
always in motion is the future

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sundeer 64

Montana works, we did that. Call Benett Law for that. However, Montana has started taxing motorhomes like crazy. By that time we became “seasonal residents” of Florida so could register there. As we owned the motorhome (and car as well) longer than 6 months, this was tax free as well. But owning property in Florida means paying state tax (everything is part of property tax in FL). I don’t think a St Brendan Isle address will work...

Old 07-05-2021, 11:43   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailmonkey View Post
You left out the part about the cost of keeping a vehicle registered in Montana...I had forgotten how high the price is.....until I was visiting my Father in Kalispell and saw his vehicle registration. Oooof.
Kalispell, just up the road a short ways, north of Flathead Lake and gateway to Glacier N.P. We do a lot of shopping there.

Indeed, the annual cost is high.

Montana Code Annotated 2019
TITLE 61. MOTOR VEHICLES
CHAPTER 3. CERTIFICATES OF TITLE, REGISTRATION, AND TAXATION OF MOTOR VEHICLES
Part 3. Registration
Registration Fees Of Vehicles And Vessels -- Certain Vehicles Exempt From Registration Fees -- Disposition Of Fees -- Definition

(7) (a) Except as provided in subsection (7)(c), the annual registration fee for a motor home, based on the age of the motor home, is as follows:

(i) less than 2 years old, $282.50;

(ii) 2 years old and less than 5 years old, $224.25;

(iii) 5 years old and less than 8 years old, $132.50; and

(iv) 8 years old and older, $97.50.

(b) The owner of a motor home that is 11 years old or older and that is subject to the registration fee under this section may permanently register the motor home upon payment of:

(i) a one-time registration fee of $237.50;

(ii) unless a new set of license plates is being issued, an insurance verification fee of $5, which must be deposited in the account established under 61-6-158;

(iii) if applicable, five times the renewal fees for personalized license plates under 61-3-406; and

(iv) if applicable, the donation fee for a generic specialty license plate under 61-3-480 or a collegiate license plate under 61-3-465.

(c) For a motor home with a manufacturer's suggested retail price of more than $300,000 that is 10 years old or less, the annual registration fee is the amount provided in subsection (7)(a) plus $800.
Old 07-05-2021, 11:50   #25

Boat: Tartan 3800

::shrug::

The broader point that is being lost here is that the OP's situation is no different from that of US citizen without a permanent in-country address.

Much has been written elsewhere about the difficulties posed of having no permanent address, and the solutions.
Old 07-05-2021, 11:57   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Montanan View Post
TITLE 61. MOTOR VEHICLES
Part 3. Registration
Registration Fees Of Vehicles And Vessels -- Certain Vehicles Exempt From Registration Fees -- Disposition Of Fees -- Definition

(7) (a) Except as provided in subsection (7)(c), the annual registration fee for a motor home, based on the age of the motor home, is as follows:

(b) The owner of a motor home that is 11 years old or older and that is subject to the registration fee under this section may permanently register the motor home upon payment of:

(i) a one-time registration fee of $237.50;

I love the idea of a one-time registration fee. Do they require residency within the state for that? Any annual inspection or testing requirements?
Old 07-05-2021, 12:59   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevenhigbee View Post
I love the idea of a one-time registration fee. Do they require residency within the state for that? Any annual inspection or testing requirements?
Yes, in Montana, it is customary for older vehicles to pay a one time, modest "permanent" registration fee for their vehicles and vessels instead of continuing to pay even more modest annual registrations. All three of my boats in Montana are permanently registered as are the trailers and one of my many vehicles. Once and done simplifies life not having to go down to the county court house to renew each and every separate individual registrations annually all of which expire with different months.

Residency of the person is not a factor, rather what the domicile of the vessel / vehicle is the determinate factor. If the vessel / vehicle does not have situs in a specific county it can not be validly registered in that specific Montana county. If the vehicle or vessel is in Montana then it needs to registered in Montana, the owner can be from elsewhere.

Montana's laws as to determining residency is similar to most all States.

TITLE 1. GENERAL LAWS AND DEFINITIONS
CHAPTER 1. GENERAL PROVISIONS
Part 2. General Definitions of Terms Used in Code

Residence -- Rules For Determining

1-1-215. Residence -- rules for determining. Every person has, in law, a residence. In determining the place of residence, the following rules are to be observed:

(1) It is the place where a person remains when not called elsewhere for labor or other special or temporary purpose and to which the person returns in seasons of repose.

(2) There may be only one residence. If a person claims a residence within Montana for any purpose, then that location is the person's residence for all purposes unless there is a specific statutory exception.

(3) A residence cannot be lost until another is gained.

I own multiple homes in which I reside but I select one to be my primary residence for a period of time so as to establish local obligations and rights, e.g. to allow my child to attend a public school, to vote, to use city and county services, parks, landfill dump access, etc.

One can forget about registering in Montana for vehicles or vessels not domiciled in Montana, i.e., determine where it is garaged, docked, stored.

Specifically, getting into the weeds.

TITLE 61. MOTOR VEHICLES
Part 3. Registration
Registration -- License Plate Required -- Display
61-3-301. Registration -- license plate required -- display.

(2) A person may not purchase or display on a motor vehicle, trailer, semitrailer, pole trailer, or travel trailer a license plate bearing the number assigned to any county, as provided in 61-3-332, other than the county where the vehicle is domiciled or the county where the trailer, semitrailer, pole trailer, or travel trailer is domiciled at the time of application for registration.

This language is a bit dated because just recently the State license numbering no longer begins with two numbers associated with a specific county which pretty much everyone dislikes because it was always convenient to read a license number and know whether they were locals or out of county and it is easy to learn which number is associated with which county, the ordering of the numbers was established long ago and was in order of population of the county decades ago. The standing joke is that if someone had a license number with the first two numbers being in the fifties, was that you were to ask them if they remembered to turn the lights off in the county when they left, given that some counties have very few residents, e.g. Petroleum County has 513.

TITLE 61. MOTOR VEHICLES
CHAPTER 5. DRIVER'S LICENSES
Part 1. Licensing Provisions
Residency Requirement

61-5-103. Residency requirement. (1) A person who has resided in Montana for more than 60 consecutive days is considered to be a resident for the purpose of being licensed to operate a motor vehicle and must be licensed under the laws of Montana before operating a motor vehicle.

(2) A person who has resided in Montana for more than 30 consecutive days:

(a) is considered to be a resident for the purpose of being licensed to operate a commercial motor vehicle; and

(b) must be licensed under the laws of Montana before operating any commercial motor vehicle.

(3) The department may issue a commercial driver's license to a person who is not a resident of Montana or domiciled in Montana only if:

(a) the person is domiciled in a foreign country with commercial driver's license standards, as determined by the federal motor carrier safety administration of the department of transportation, that are not similar to the testing and licensing standards provided in 49 CFR, part 383, subparts F, G, and H;
or

(b) the person is domiciled in a state that is prohibited by the federal motor carrier safety administration from issuing commercial driver's licenses under 49 CFR 384.405.
Old 07-05-2021, 16:39   #28

Boat: C&C 27 Mk III

Instead of asking here about rv’s why not check out family motor home association FMCA
They have lots of members and info for people that live full time in their motor homes / rv’s
Old 07-05-2021, 16:59   #29

A lot of full time on the road RVers register their boats in South Dakota. Cheap registration, low insurance rates, no income tax. There are company's that provide an address and mail forwarding. I would join some of the facebook RV groups for specifics. A google search may work just as well.
Old 07-05-2021, 17:13   #30
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Wheeler Shipyard 83' ex USCG

You can buy anything in the US, even politicians. And you don't need to be a citizen or even a legal resident.
Closed Thread