Cruisers Forum

Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-01-2013, 06:34   #76

Boat: Heritage 35
Red face Re: I ain't no expert

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkJ View Post
I must be an expert. I've been round the world. But this morning I was doing one of my least favorite tasks, changing the oil with a hand pump (I can't afford the $95 lickerty-split one from West marine) and I found an easier way! Leave the engine on for half an hour instead of 15 minutes. Get the oil real hot and it comes out easier! I saved 3/4 of the time I normally spend on sucking that crap out.

At school the mantra was you're not learning it unless you write it down. So when an opinon pops out of me (rarely!) I am usually doing it in some learning, or discussing type of way. Or just trying to help out so others don't make the same mistakes I've already made there's a continuing stream of them.

So Don, keep it going! After a while you will know you can never win an argument on an Internet forum no matter how right you are. But sometimes the discussions can help you learn even more.

Mark
PS I think a Manatee farted in my sea strainer
Ha! an easier way is to break an oil line. It takes no time to get it out then! have done that three times before I learned my lesson.
Old 07-01-2013, 06:55   #77

Re: I ain't no expert

The expert think and the appeal to authority argument are not the BASIS for reliable information.

Experience is important and we all have our personal experience to offer. I for one enjoy reading and benefit from the collective wisdom of those who generously share their knowledge. MarkJ was sleeping in class when they explained that heating makes fluids less viscous (less thick)... So he learned from the school of hard knocks. And this shows what a clever lad he is!

I wouldn't be swayed by those who demand/expect their opinions are the best BECAUSE they self describe as an expert. Take all with a grain of salt.

And for sailors... it's up to you and your boat. You world... just don't drags others down with poor decisions.

The oil change device is well worth it and you STILL want to have the oil hot to remove it!
Old 07-01-2013, 08:14   #78
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Now boatless :-(
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dockhead View Post

A really important thing to remember is that we are all amateurs here, with very few exceptions. What does it mean, to be an amateur? It's not a dirty word, on the contrary. An amateur is someone who does something because he loves it, not because he needs to to make money.
Now you're talking amateur vs. professional.

A professional is someone who is paid to make mistakes...
Old 07-01-2013, 12:52   #79

Boat: 15 foot Canoe

Hey Don,

Have you figured out how to install a nuclear reactor aboard your boat? My last cruiser was nuclear powered and we had two. Didn't use much fuel and we were always underway while the fossil fuelers were stuck in port visiting the local bars and taking in the local scenary. Hmmm? Maybe I should have spent more time on fossil fuelers.
Old 07-01-2013, 13:31   #80
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sunmaid 20, John Welsford Navigator

Quote:
Originally Posted by David_Old_Jersey View Post
I don't actually recall anyone claiming Expert status on CF! (and that includes those whose day jobs involve the subject, and who IMO clearly are!)
Here you go then DOJ. The ONLY time i have seen this claim on here, except in fun. That's why i remembered it, i thought it was a rather grandiose claim to make. Was on the "pilothouse" thread,

"I guess that you may never have seen a Corbin 39, most people would never have guess it is a pilothouse boat. I do not consider myself an expert on yacht design but I am an expert in automobile design. asthetics applies to most products."

Coops.
Old 07-01-2013, 13:47   #81
CF Adviser

Location: Wherever our boat is; Playa Zaragoza, Isla Margarita
Boat: 1994 Solaris Sunstream 40

Like Don, I do not claim to be an expert at anything, nor do I expect to receive free opinions from experts when I am seeking advice on this site. Nevertheless, I have certainly received helpful advice from fellow members who, although not experts, have experienced a problem similar to one that is vexing me and found a way to diagnose and deal with it. On occasion I'd like to believe that I have also been of help to others for similar reasons.

Ultimately, one doesn't have to an expert to be able to provide helpful information. In that regard I have to agree with Ausieman - while he claims no particular expertise, nobody is as helpful in finding and posting useful links and pertinent information and commentary than Gord. More than a mere expert, he has been a virtual welcoming committee and resource center for all of us. Who needs experts when you have Gord!

Brad
Old 07-01-2013, 16:22   #82
Armchair Bucketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coops View Post
Here you go then DOJ. The ONLY time i have seen this claim on here, except in fun. That's why i remembered it, i thought it was a rather grandiose claim to make. Was on the "pilothouse" thread,

"I guess that you may never have seen a Corbin 39, most people would never have guess it is a pilothouse boat. I do not consider myself an expert on yacht design but I am an expert in automobile design. asthetics applies to most products."

Coops.
Ok, yer got me there . In my defence, I don't read all of CF - honest .
Old 24-01-2021, 14:38   #83

Boat: Catalina 22 Sport

A version of the previously cited Heisenberg definition that is not infrequently cited in scientific circles:
"An expert is a person who has made all possible mistakes in very small area of inquiry"
Kind of does and doesn't work for sailing. I like it because it validates the idea that experience is an outstanding teacher. But it kind of doesn't work for sailing because in many ways sailing is a broad activity. The array of skills and knowledge one needs is intimidating. Of course, the other problem in sailing is that experience can be harsh - you may not survive your mistakes at sea.

I learn a lot on CF from people who give some version of "I did this wrong and here's what I learned from it".
Old 24-01-2021, 15:49   #84
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: I ain't no expert

Wow.. A real blast from the past..
DOJ.. Where is he now..???

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
Old 24-01-2021, 16:03   #85

Boat: ‘01 Catana 401

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatman61 View Post
Wow.. A real blast from the past..

DOJ.. Where is he now..???

Has he taken his goat out to pasture?

It’s hard on a goat to solo rtw.
Old 24-01-2021, 16:15   #86
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailmonkey View Post
Has he taken his goat out to pasture?

It’s hard on a goat to solo rtw.

Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
Old 24-01-2021, 16:31   #87
CLOD

Boat: none

Bet not that many get the goat thing
Old 24-01-2021, 16:46   #88
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailorboy1 View Post
Bet not that many get the goat thing
There's few of us left mate..

Closed Thread