Cruisers Forum

Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-01-2013, 17:08   #61

Boat: Fisher pilothouse sloop 32'
Re: I ain't no expert

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ex-Calif View Post
I am an expert at identifying the bullshitters.

(PS - What's an expert?)
I do believe that x is a mathematical term for an unknown, spert is a plumbing term for a drip under pressere therefore an expert must be an unknown drip under pressure !!
And with that I bid thee farewell

Life is 10% the cards you are dealt, 90% how you play em
Old 06-01-2013, 17:13   #62

Boat: 40' Silverton Aftcabin with twin Crusaders

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Lucas View Post
Just as a note, I'm not looking/trolling for any type of praise etc.

If some people like reading my "stuff" that is great if others don't I'm sorry and just put me on your ignore list if I've gotten to that point.

But I'm still no expert! But I'm also not an idiot!

Chin up Don, you've been a good sport though all this. In an odd way we share similar likes purchasing the worlds best sailboats.... so we must be displaying some smarts and expertise along the way. Only your Hunter is larger than my disposed Hunter.

Foggy
Old 06-01-2013, 17:14   #63

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 400

Saucy
Sorry, did not mean to offend anyone with my comments, and certainly not you. I myself find that I will spend perhaps quite a bit of time on this forum. My wife says to much time on the forum. There ARE alot of folks on this forum that are extremly helpful, then there are others that will put something, anything, out there for god knows what reason.

To all out there, keep posting, and having fun. I enjoy a good helpful post, and I skip over many folks, that seem to have little if anything to say.
Old 06-01-2013, 17:22   #64
Nearly an old salt

Boat: Bavaria 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocketman
Don I have always enjoyed reading your posts, and you have been helpful to me personally, so Thank you.

Now, to your topic, there are a lot of us here that seem to do nothing all day but read and reply to people on the CF. Maybe it is there goal in life to contrubute to something before they die, who knows. When I see that someone who has thousands of posts, it makes me wonder, when do they do anything, but post on CF. Do they actually sail, eat, or sleep?
I do see your point however, there are times when subtle humor is used to make a point that may be taken as fact by a person who is trying to learn. Hopefully they will not take such information and use it to harm themselfs.
I have over 5000 posts since my new login in 2009. I'm in IT so I tend to use my iPhone or iPad app and I find CF is easy on poor quality 3G , so often ill post here , because little else is getting through. I also am not much of a sleeper and I often post at 1-3 am here on this side of the pond. It's still only about 3 posts a day. I generate for work about 10 times that in emails and 2-3 times that in other voluntary work.

I don't think high posters have less ( or more) to contribute. I divide my posting into three areas. Frivolous, interested , opinionated. Where I have a strong opinion, based more commonly on personal experience, I do try to argue this ( because I like debate) , but of course to others all they are are unverified opinions. Where I'm interested , I ask questions and form opinions, where its frivolous, say like guns threads or semi-political I just contribute anything from nuggets to hand grenades. ( I usually do that on sailnet mind you)

Learning anything from CF , is like all forums, sifting what's important to you from the chaff. I also find I get quite a few PMs which sometimes takes a bit of time to research.

I don't think its a division between fools and experts or between quantity over quality. It's an Internet forum, A virtual bar room conversation.

Dave
Old 06-01-2013, 17:27   #65

Boat: 40' Silverton Aftcabin with twin Crusaders

Dave--

Sometimes the sifting is not though chaff
Old 06-01-2013, 18:10   #66

I think there are a lot of people with a lot of experience and a lot of knowledge on this forum. But it seems to me that as soon as someone fancies themselves an "expert", they know all there is to know and stop learning. Being an expert seems like a great way to get stuck in time.
Old 06-01-2013, 18:13   #67

Boat: Able 50

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ex-Calif View Post
I am an expert at identifying the bullshitters.

(PS - What's an expert?)
A retired pert ? Of course that begs the question " At what age should perts retire ? " I hear that perting is a tough business.
Old 06-01-2013, 18:54   #68

Boat: Solaris Sunstar 36' catamaran

Those that can, do.
Those that can't do, teach.
Those that can't teach, supervise.
Those that can't do any of that ---
well, here I am on the internet.
Old 06-01-2013, 20:10   #69

Boat: O'Day 28
pirate Re: I ain't no expert

Quote:
Originally Posted by goboatingnow View Post
...It's an Internet forum, A virtual bar room conversation. Dave
That's how I look at this stuff. It can be informative and fun. Particularly since it's turned out a whole bunch of us are oldster-ish, and share much in common. Do I spent too much time here? Hell yes. Fun is where you find it. And there are females here.

I stay out of serious discussions, generally because I don't know jack about the topic. I have lots of experience but no expertise. And blow me down if I ever start a post with "I haven't done what you're asking but my opinion is ...".

In the interests of full disclosure: I did not, even for a minute, think Don was an expert. I came up from prams. Don didn't. He doesn't ******** about it. What I do like is that he said recently that he was likely the most active sailor in his marina. Couple of years ago he commented that he was not good at bringing the boat into the dock. Gotta appreciate the honesty. I don't think he's ever acted like an expert.
Old 06-01-2013, 23:26   #70

“An expert is someone who knows some of the worst mistakes that can be made in his subject and who manage to avoid them.”
Heisenberg, Werner
But I find that some mistakes give so much fun that you need to do them more than once, and if you go somethings alot you become EXPERT.

Bavaria 50 Cruiser
Old 07-01-2013, 00:14   #71

Boat: Citation 34' Center Cockpit (Australian design and build)

The only contributor to this forum that I consider an expert (my opinion only through observation) is Gord. I have never before had the pleasure of watching someone with the search engine skills that this man has. How many times have we all seen posts like "I need a manual for a 1967 model ... blah blah blah ... I've looked everywhere but can't find it." It takes Gord usually about 5 minutes to respond with a link or two. In my humble opinion Gord could almost drop the "r" from his name, but I'm no expert on such things or anything for that matter. The only thing I know is that when it comes to internet searches Gord rules.
Old 07-01-2013, 00:17   #72

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Jeanneau Sun Fast 40.3

Hell Don,

We're pretty much alike. I am an expert and proud to admit it (well modesty is one of my stronger points). Just ask my wife. According to her, I'm an expert at being a lazy, no-good, opinionated uncouth lout of a husband whose only redeeming value is that I'm also a nice guy, who's the best amateur cook she's ever run across. She will, when pressured also admit that I am moderately intelligent, although she also claims I never use what little I have.

So there you have it. No use arguing my expertise with the final authority in the universe, also known as my admiral. She has proclaimed me an expert and that's all there is to it.

As a very wise man once told me, the two most important words for a man to know in a marriage are: "yes, dear". Others such as "whatever you say dear" can be substituted when "yes dear" is said too many times in a row.

There are true experts on CF and thank you all of you. I learn from you every day. And you do it for free.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/s?k=carsten...ref=nb_sb_noss

Our books have gotten 5 star reviews on Amazon. Several readers have written "I never thought I would go on a circumnavigation, but when I read these books, I was right there in the cockpit with Vinni and Carsten"
Old 07-01-2013, 03:59   #73
Armchair Bucketeer

I don't actually recall anyone claiming Expert status on CF! (and that includes those whose day jobs involve the subject, and who IMO clearly are!).........on some subjects folks are worth at least listening to, some not so much. No one on everything! But even a post whose content is worth no more than a thread bump can sometimes help!

One of the ironies is that most folks on CF not being experts is part of the attraction - especially to newbies, if only to demonstrate "if that fuggin idjut can do it then so can I".
Old 07-01-2013, 05:57   #74
CLOD

Boat: none

Being an ex-Navy nuclear qualified plant operator on submarines it sometimes amazes me just complex people can make their sailboats sound! I mean it is just a freakin sailboat!

PS - it was pointed out by another thread that I don't really understand how a nuclear reactor works. Which just proves my point: I ain't no expert!
Old 07-01-2013, 05:58   #75
Nearly an old salt

Boat: Bavaria 36

Quote:
PS - it was pointed out by another thread that I don't really understand how a nuclear reactor works. Which just proves my point: I ain't no expert!
of course , when you need them there arnt any around,

Dave