Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-10-2011, 19:14   #61

Boat: Hunter Cherubini 25'
Yep...same thing Don...same thing. Sometimes it's just not worth it. LoL!
BareFtGrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2011, 19:25   #62

Boat: Camano Troll 31'
Re: Grrrrrr!! Work Rant !

che sarà sarà
Old 02-10-2011, 19:31   #63
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41

grl--ye will do good... you are sooo close---- get a speed bag and some gloves and work it out---does wonders to have a way to spend flustration and aggravation--kayak, speed bag, bicycle, whatever does it for ye.....
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2011, 19:43   #64

Boat: Looking for a new boat

Quote:
Originally Posted by BareFtGrl View Post
Anyone else feel this way?
Yes, quit and get a job in a bar/ music venue. You will meet all of the people who are just like you and who have had enough of the BS and actually done something about it. Working at night is great fun. People still suck in night clubs and bars but they suck in a way that is almost comical. And the beauty of it is if you don't like them you can tell them to F off or have the bouncer drag them out. Can you imagine at Walgreen's if one of your customers was bugging you and you told them to screw and then had the power to have them physically removed from the premises? Very satisfying. The bar industry has the added benefit of being recession proof. When the economy took a dive I watched all of my "responsible" friends one by one get canned from their nine to fives while I was raking it in at my "unstable" and frivolous nightclub job. Have fun, make money, sleep in, and sail during the day? Where's the drawback?

I think it is easy to idealize working on the water. What is the old adage about not turning your passion into your job lest it feel like a job? Coming from someone who has done both I wouldn't recommend it. It has a way of taking away from the true peace you find when you are off of the clock and on the boat. Good luck and don't give up hope. What about finding a pharmacy position at a mom and pop drug store instead of working for the man?
unbusted67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2011, 19:51   #65

Boat: It’s in French Polynesia now

Quote:
Originally Posted by osirissail View Post
Having returned to live inside the USA after a decade living outside, I can see where the feelings of stress, paranoia, and a general feeling of futility with life is pervasive or has swept up the population. Interestingly, I just read the latest BoatUS newsrag and they had an article about President Cleveland back in the 1890's and how back then conditions were not much better than what exists now.
- - So what makes living on a cruising boat away from here so much different - probably a few glaring things and lots of little things. One is cable TV, it doesn't exist on most cruising sailboats. Another is a car or land vehicle, they don't float very well.
- - Then the biggy, real food instead of manufactured and/or genetically altered foods. Along with that is the bathroom cabinet full of dozens of drugs and medicines that folks here consume each day to try to chemically escape the aches and pains of daily life along with the psychological stresses of having to deal with the reality of living inside this huge crazy house.
- - It all boils down to the absence of the barrage of negative and paranoia inducing news and media feeds trying to get your attention so their advertising can suck away your money. When you are "outside" that does not exist.
- - But there are lessons learned from living "outside" that can help with living when back inside the "asylum." Probably best summed up by an ancient character known as "Alfred E Neuman" and his "What - Me Worry?" attitude. See: Alfred E. Neuman Quotes
- - You need to learn to ignore the hype and not sweat what you cannot change or affect. History and humor goes a long way to relieve stress, so much of what is happening has happened before many times and the antics of the present "players" repeating history gets downright funny (otherwise you might cry). You can't change it anymore than you can stop the tides of the oceans. But you can divorce the crap from your own personal concerns.
- - And get rid of the modern fantasies that your working life is supposed to be fun, fulfilling and rewarding financially. Look to history and you will see that such things have never existed except for a very, very few folks with incredible good luck and/or circumstances. For the rest of the world, work sucks except for a few rare brief periods of time. If it didn't suck they wouldn't have to pay you to do it.
- - What putting up and dealing with the crap does do is that it enables you to build toward a future of being able to set sail and cruise and get away from the craziness/asylum. Keep focused on that goal and the reality that life is not all about working/job but what working can do to make your dreams of cruising become a reality.

Excellant post!

I up and quit my job over a year ago and still have no regrets. Everything is paid off. The only money needed is for taxes, insurance, utilities, fuel and food. And more then half of that will go away when I sell off the house and other stuff.

There are other jobs out there for Pharmacist. Have you considered nursing/assisted living homes or drug manufacturers themselves.

I've noticed that most of the chain drug stores here in the US now have mostly immigrants working behind the counters. It's a bit like going to Mc Donalds, one has trouble communicating with them. I can understand your frustration.
Old 02-10-2011, 20:20   #66

Boat: Looking for a new boat

Quote:
Originally Posted by osirissail View Post
Having returned to live inside the USA after a decade living outside, I can see where the feelings of stress, paranoia, and a general feeling of futility with life is pervasive or has swept up the population. Interestingly, I just read the latest BoatUS newsrag and they had an article about President Cleveland back in the 1890's and how back then conditions were not much better than what exists now.
- - So what makes living on a cruising boat away from here so much different - probably a few glaring things and lots of little things. One is cable TV, it doesn't exist on most cruising sailboats. Another is a car or land vehicle, they don't float very well.
- - Then the biggy, real food instead of manufactured and/or genetically altered foods. Along with that is the bathroom cabinet full of dozens of drugs and medicines that folks here consume each day to try to chemically escape the aches and pains of daily life along with the psychological stresses of having to deal with the reality of living inside this huge crazy house.
- - It all boils down to the absence of the barrage of negative and paranoia inducing news and media feeds trying to get your attention so their advertising can suck away your money. When you are "outside" that does not exist.
- - But there are lessons learned from living "outside" that can help with living when back inside the "asylum." Probably best summed up by an ancient character known as "Alfred E Neuman" and his "What - Me Worry?" attitude. See: Alfred E. Neuman Quotes
- - You need to learn to ignore the hype and not sweat what you cannot change or affect. History and humor goes a long way to relieve stress, so much of what is happening has happened before many times and the antics of the present "players" repeating history gets downright funny (otherwise you might cry). You can't change it anymore than you can stop the tides of the oceans. But you can divorce the crap from your own personal concerns.
- - And get rid of the modern fantasies that your working life is supposed to be fun, fulfilling and rewarding financially. Look to history and you will see that such things have never existed except for a very, very few folks with incredible good luck and/or circumstances. For the rest of the world, work sucks except for a few rare brief periods of time. If it didn't suck they wouldn't have to pay you to do it.
- - What putting up and dealing with the crap does do is that it enables you to build toward a future of being able to set sail and cruise and get away from the craziness/asylum. Keep focused on that goal and the reality that life is not all about working/job but what working can do to make your dreams of cruising become a reality.
Yeah man very nice, I like the part about referencing history to try and calm your nerves. All of your worries and concerns have been felt a million times before by a million other people.

A note on being away form the media. I lived in Boston for 6 years before moving aboard. I am a liberal and Boston is a very liberal town. I lived there during the Bush years and there was a lot of anger surrounding him and his policies. When I moved aboard a boat without a tv all of that anger and stress just went away. No more tv, no more Bush because really this stuff does not affect you in your every day life, it is invented drama to keep you and your eyes glued to the tv set and buying the products they are selling between rants.

People kill each other over this stuff. Humans are unbelievable, they can get so worked up over just an idea, not even a thing, just an idea.
unbusted67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2011, 09:54   #67

Boat: a sailing boat

Quote:
Originally Posted by BareFtGrl View Post
Twice I had to cancel my reply because it was another burst of frustration. Ever done that?
You are one step ahead of me in the subtle art of not sharing.

To burst is human.

Hugs,
b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2011, 10:20   #68

Boat: Prior boats: Transpac 49; DeFever 54

BareFtGirl... at some point you will look back at your life and laugh because you allowed such minor issues which at the time seemed insurmountable to stress you out and suck out all the goodness you've got inside you.
Don't dispair! Those of us who have more years on our hides than we care to admit sympathize with your predicament. We have lived through the same or worse and are still standing, perhaps not straight, but upright.
The sea is a great elixir, it heals just about anything because it causes you to focus on her rather than any outside BS that is thrown at you.
You are bright, healthy, well educated and enthusiastic... with all that going for you, don't let others poor behavior, manners or negativity drag you down.
Go for it, girl! Feast on life and don't let anyone else sit at your table who doesn't share your values and goals... cheers, Capt Phil
Capt Phil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2011, 10:32   #69

Boat: Hunter Cherubini 25'
Capt. Phil, that's just the pep talk I was needing! Now...off to sail around the gulf for a few hours today! Yay!
BareFtGrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2011, 10:34   #70

Boat: Prior boats: Transpac 49; DeFever 54

You go girl! CP
Capt Phil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2011, 11:11   #71

Boat: C&C Newport 41

they do call it work for a reason ya know...

when you have zero debt and no less than 25K in the bank, come back and ask me again and, i am quite sure, i will tell u to quit and make a go of it.

if u can barely afford food or slip fees and insurance you will hate your situation as much as u hate work.

at 41 i have zero debt, own the house and cars (and everything else) outright and have 2 years of cash in the bank.

personally, i decided to buy a total refit for pennies on the dollar and put 50+K into her instead of spending 100k on a vessel.

anyone who suggests you should just quit and sail away is NOT doing you any favors. make a plan, set a timeline and make it happen.

A. what are your total annual expenses
B. what are your anticipated monthly living expenses
C. what are your estimated personal / entertainment expenses
D. what is your monthly sailing budget (where do you expect to sail and the associated fees and taxes, maintenance costs, slip fees while cruising).
E. what $$ do you need to invest in your boat b4 you can sail away

now... do some arithmetic:

(A*2) +( B*12) + (C*6) + (D*6) + E = [CASH IN THE BANK TODAY*]

*budget for 6 months without income.

dont be short sighted because i am pretty sure you dont want to wake up 6 without health insurance and nothing salted away for your retirement. i am also sure you dont want to b 40 and dipping into your retirement funds so you can afford to eat.

if you hate your job so badly, every possible penny should be saved. within 3 months of saving, you should be able to project out exactly how long you need to continue working before you can quit and raise your sails.

i do concede that there are some wise investments that can be made today (delaying the savings plan) that will help you while cruising (if you are interested): get a dive cert / experience so you can do bottom cleaning for income while cruising, get a captains license so you can do deliveries / charters etc, learn to weld or paint or diesel mechanics etc.

if you want to discuss how to budget / plan or whatever, PM me.

good luck!

-the voice of reason
ssanzone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2011, 11:26   #72

Boat: O'Day 37 Center Cockpit "Namaste"

BareFTGirl, is it just the place you're at now, or having to work at all? Mayhbe I missed something, but perhaps you could find another job (same work or another) for a time being to mitigate your current angst. A new job will eventually bring on the same crap, but at least it would likely be new enough in the short run. Then work on the escape plan. 25 ft is a bit cramped (I've had four boats, working up from a Hobie 14, then an Islander 24, an Ericson 29 and now an O'Day 37. For living, unless you're really special and have that special mate, 25 ft is cramped. There are plenty of boats 30 to 35 ft that aren't that expensive, and having a little extra space can really make a difference and are still manageable.

The downsizing is going on everywhere, and will likely continue. I worked in the health care world in a county hospital for several years, and back then my gf was a Pharm Tech (before becoming an RN). There are always options, and it's good policy not to get too ranted up so that you can't see possible options. Best of luck.
lorenzo123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2011, 11:30   #73

Boat: grampian 26

Quote:
Originally Posted by RTB View Post
I'm not sure "scam" is the right word.

I do suppose living in debt is the American Way, these days. One day, you wake up and realize what a hole you have dug for yourself. Then, it's a long, hard, slog, to dig yourself out.
I think the term "scam" would depend on what side of the financial equation you are on.
perchance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2011, 12:41   #74
RTB

Boat: Hunter 36

Quote:
Originally Posted by perchance View Post
I think the term "scam" would depend on what side of the financial equation you are on.
I'm digging my way out of debt, myself. I put myself there. No one made me borrow the money, and a grade schooler can figure out how much the finance charges are if you mulitiply the payments X the months.

The consumer just pictures themselves driving that new car, living in that beautiful home, watching that big screen tv, or listening to that surround sound, whatever they are financing. I don't see this as a scam, whichever side of the financial equation you are on. If you don't have the money, someone is there to lend it, and they expect to be paid back (only fair, don't you think?), at an agreed upon interest rate. One has the choice to pass, and save until they can buy what they want.
RTB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2011, 13:42   #75

Boat: Still have the 33yo Jon boat. But now a CATAMARAN. Nice little 18' Bay Cat.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RTB View Post
I'm digging my way out of debt, myself. I put myself there. No one made me borrow the money, and a grade schooler can figure out how much the finance charges are if you mulitiply the payments X the months.

The consumer just pictures themselves driving that new car, living in that beautiful home, watching that big screen tv, or listening to that surround sound, whatever they are financing. I don't see this as a scam, whichever side of the financial equation you are on. If you don't have the money, someone is there to lend it, and they expect to be paid back (only fair, don't you think?), at an agreed upon interest rate. One has the choice to pass, and save until they can buy what they want.
And most cannot resist. From the poor who buy tattoos and bling wheels all the way up to our esteemed leaders and those of other countries. (not just the west either ).