Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Destinations > Atlantic & the Caribbean
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 18-08-2011, 06:29   #1

Work Done in Grenada or Trinidad ?

Here's my dilema

I'm the Captain of a 585 Privilege (Privately owned Cat) I need to have some work done on engines, new Toilet system, New Dinghy, new sails, new Generator. I don't need to get hauled out for any of the work. So staying in a secure Marina would be fine.
If someone has any pro and cons for Grenada and Trinidad ..be great.
Price....Taxes.... Security.....Workforce... anything basicly

Thanks in advance
Patric
GoFree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-08-2011, 11:43   #2

Boat: Leopard 40 40 ft
Re: Work Done in Grenada or Trinidad ?

Straight Talk! I am discouraging anyone from having work done in Trinidad. If you can stay in the marina in Grenada and have your work done, Do It! I found the Yanmar Authorized shop in Chageromis (not spelled right) to be over charging, incompetent, NOT customer friendly (after they've got you), and VERY messey. Trinidad over all, in THIS boaters opinion is dirty, unsafe and full of opportunists that will tell you ANYTHING to get your $$$$. This includes the major yards. STAY AWAY.
Nauti-Nauti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-08-2011, 15:31   #3

Boat: Hunter 410
We are having a number of projects done in Trinidad (Chaguaramas) and are generally satisfied. Things are not especially cheap there, except when we compare prices w Annapolis or Lauderdale, our "home" ports, but with some attention and due diligence on our side, the mechanical, electrical and general maintenance work has been well executed. We are landside at the moment, and our "general contractor" has kept us well informed via phone and Internet - with photos.
jpsgirl96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-08-2011, 17:12   #4

Boat: CSY 44 Tall rig Sold!

My experience fixing things in Grenada end very bad, idk , from waiting for a 25 us dollars fuel pump for my perkins ending cost me 380 ec dollars and 3 weeks , to try to find parts for my yamaha outboard engine in the dealer , and finally order the parts in st marteen,.

I found almost all the products prices in budget marine or island waterworld costing between 10 or 15 % more from the other islands.

The big isue for you in Grenada maybe is the generator, idk what brand you looking for, but maybe you end ordering the generator overseas.

Labor in Grenada is young and inexperienced , labor in trinidad is better trained , but you need to be in guard in trinidad to. In fact in trinidad the way to go is dont pay in advance and be with the contractor as much as posible.

Security isues, Grenada is a very quiet place , you feel safe all the time, just the same safety precautions you take anywhere else, Trinidad is a bit diferent, here you are in a industrial place with lots of people , safety is a isue here, but if you take some precautions nothing happen.

Cheers.
neilpride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-08-2011, 06:22   #5
Long Range Cruiser

Location: Australian living on "Sea Life" currently in England.
Boat: Beneteau 393 "Sea Life"

Quote:
Originally Posted by neilpride View Post
My experience fixing things in Grenada end very bad,
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nauti-Nauti View Post
I am discouraging anyone from having work done in Trinidad.
I wouldn't have work done in either place.
If I wanted the sort of work done the OP is talking about I would be heading to St Martin (or Florida).

Grenada is very cute and I am enjoying it... but installing a new generator? Give it a break! Maybe let them do the toilet!

St Martin, on the other hand, has a full marine industry that you only find in a few places in the whole world. If it does cost you more the extra would be well spent.

Somalia Pirates and our Convoy
MarkJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-08-2011, 08:12   #6

Boat: SAnta Cruz 27

If you want the work done during hurricane season, Trinidad is the answer. I looked at both Grenada and Trinidad, and after finding out how hard it was to ship things into Grenada and how easy it was in Trinidad, I went with the latter and enjoyed my stay there.
donradcliffe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-08-2011, 08:40   #7

wow....thaks for all the replies it helped alot...
I decided on a half Grenada / half Trinidad solution.

We will hurricanise the boat at Port Luis Marina, (safety reasons) get the sails ordered and the minor stuff set up.. - go on holiday - come back get minor stuff done. Then Head to Trinidad to get Engines and Generator done.. i got some good contacts in both places now.

and about St. Martin: I got alot of work done in St. Martin. Always expensive ..unfortunately not always good. Also, bad time of year to have your boat up there... (Hope u'r all out of Irenes way)

Stay safe and have fun
Patric
GoFree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-08-2011, 08:30   #8

Boat: Gulfstar 53 - Osiris

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoFree View Post
wow....thaks for all the replies it helped alot...
I decided on a half Grenada / half Trinidad solution. . . . Patric
Actually, that is exactly what we did from 2004 to 2011, we hung out each H-season in Grenada because of the great people and secure feeling along with the opportunities to use the boat during the H-season to harbor hop the south coast or even go to Carriacou for a break.
- - We imported ourselves much of everything we needed for the boat unless it was a small item. But the "services" in Grenada are maturing rapidly as it is now the "major" location for waiting out the H-season.
- - When we needed major stuff we went to Trinidad. Trinidad is a major oil-gas industrial location and sort of like a Chicago versus Peoria kind of comparison.
- - For major stuff and access to big city opportunities Trinidad is the place. There is a huge amount of "service" outfits there and if you know where to go other than Chaguaramas Bay the prices are reasonable. But like any "big city" kind of place you can get "taken" real easy and need to be very cautious and careful who you deal with. Long-timers there can fill you in on who and where to get things done. It does vary over time.
osirissail is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
Grenada, grenada