Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Multihull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 18-08-2011, 06:31   #1

Work Done in Grenada or Trinidad ?

Here's my dilema

I'm the Captain of a 585 Privilege (Privately owned Cat) I need to have some work done on engines, new Toilet system, New Dinghy, new sails, new Generator. I don't need to get hauled out for any of the work. So staying in a secure Marina would be fine.
If someone has any pro and cons for Grenada and Trinidad ..be great.
Price....Taxes.... Security.....Workforce... anything basicly

Thanks in advance
Patric
GoFree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-08-2011, 07:00   #2

Boat: Gulfstar 53 - Osiris
Re: Work done in Grenada or Trinidad?

I am sure you will get a wide variety of answers but to summarize the differences based on my many years of being in both places, here goes . . .
- - Grenada is more "family like" type of place. Trinidad is more indifferent and business like. Both have good and bad aspects.
- - Purchasing new equipment/sails/generator in Grenada is pretty much a job of shopping Island Water World or Budget Marine or the two or three sail lofts and mechanical shops clustered around the two boatyards - Grenada Marine in St Davids and Spice Island Marine in Prickly Bay. There are a few "other" places to get things but there are not many.
- - In any case I would suggest thoroughly researching each items you need to determine the best "bang for the buck" of this brand/model or that brand/model. This is normally done on the internet by checking out the main marine sources in the USA and other countries. With the knowledge of what your chosen item "normally" costs then you can compare the Grenada quoted prices to see if they are competitive.
- - You need to figure in the cost of shipping to Grenada and dealing with Customs Brokers. But Grenada is reasonable in that it does recognize "boat in transit" when it comes to Customs duties. Still unless the item is "big ticket" you may find the cost differential small enough to make getting it locally viable. However, it is not necessary to ship everything into Grenada via "airfreight" - there are very economical sea freight options that are a fraction of the cost.
- - During my time there in Grenada I "imported" a lot of parts and stuff from the USA for my boat and saved significant money.
- - Trinidad is somewhat similar to Grenada on sourcing things but they have an outfit named "Marine Warehouse" which can bring in large or heavy boat stuff at the same or better prices than doing it yourself. Trinidad also has - as a major/large city anywhere has - local sources outside the main Marine trades location in Chaguaramas Bay where things can be purchased at quite good prices.
- - Trinidad boatyard operations and marine parts supply stores/shops can pretty much supply you with anything you need but normally at a rather high price unless you know how and where to go to find "deals."
- - Quality of work is - IMHO - the same in each place with the caveat that with more places available in Trinidad there are more opportunities for you to get shafted. Grenada having only a few competitors and a much smaller population and faster traveling "grapevines" that results in a tendency to be more "honest" or satisfying to you. Of course, your attitude in dealing with the "shop/store/supplier" can make a world of difference in how much effort they put into doing your job well.
- - Grenada has the advantage of smallness so you can ask around to other boaters to find the "currently" best shop/store/craftsperson to do your needed work. It is more difficult in Trinidad since there are half a dozen of any particular shop/store/craft to sort through to find the good ones.
- - So as with all thing boat related, there is a onus upon you to research carefully unless you have significant financial resources and can afford to buy blind.
- - Specific recommendations are available but they do tend to change over time as business shifts to one "highly recommended" place and away from the other. I have noticed over the years that they tend to swap "good/bad" reputations yearly or every couple of years. So you need to ask cruisers currently there who is the "good" place this year.
osirissail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-08-2011, 07:03   #3

Boat: CSY 44 Tall rig Sold!

Hi Patric, i can speak from my experience in both places, for all the work you get in your list i consider trinidad,

Price .Grenada is expensive , i see in your list you have a generator, dingy, engines, any part not in stock in grenada is a pain in the ass , in st davis the boatyard quote me last year in Grenada a perkins lift fuel pump for 387 Ec dollars , almost all the money is gone in fees, broker fee, boatyard fee, customs fees. etc...

For Security reasons, Grenada is a quiet place, I mean you feel safer, but again , i be 3 seasons in Trinidad and never have a problem, you never know, but Grenada yes, is nice in security terms.

Workforce; both places you need to be there ,with the guy in question, it also depend what kind of workforce you looking for, expensive technicians or cheap sanding labor,..Trinidad have a long list of experienced Technicians and Grenada dont, like shaft and propellers work, repicht, bronze work etc...

This is my short opinion. hope you get a idea.
Cheers..
neilpride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2011, 07:38   #4

Boat: Lagoon 410, 41 ft

Good morning Pat, you might want to get in touch with a friend of mine, Ton Koole, at: antoonkoole@hotmail.com, for in St-Maarten, got new starboard motor in by PROFESSIONALS! and had to get the job checked by another mech. long story short, he had to do some work so the dam new motor would last longer, even if only tieing down wires, tightening bolts etc, I asked Pro. to check the cooling system on the port motor, he looked at the exhaust and said(no problem it will be ok) even if I told him to me there was less water comming out of the exhaust then the new motor. Ton took a couple of minutes and bang, water exchanger clogged!!! Get my drift. Pro. 80$us hr and Ton 30$ushr Ever since I have been introduced to him by many other satisfied clients, never, if possible, will anyone else work on my motors. He's also good with electricity. At this moment he is actually in your area, for he needs to do his bottom job. Believe me you will be very happy in meeting this person. Just tell him I reffered you to him, who know, maybe I'll get a discount next time hehe!!
raphaella is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
Grenada, grenada