Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-10-2011, 10:15   #76
Armchair Bucketeer

Re: Grrrrrr!! Work Rant !

It's quite impressive really. Debt Bondage sold as a lifestyle to aspire to.

You couldn't make it up...........
David_Old_Jersey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2011, 10:41   #77

Boat: It’s in French Polynesia now

Quote:
Originally Posted by David_Old_Jersey View Post
Debt Bondage sold as a lifestyle to aspire to.
That would make a great bumper sticker for all to read on their way to work/home each day.

Or, the credit card companies could use it for advertising.

Any Bankers here?
Old 04-10-2011, 10:53   #78
Armchair Bucketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by delmarrey View Post
That would make a great bumper sticker for all to read on their way to work/home each day.

Or, the credit card companies could use it for advertising.
Another Classic! It's not a Credit Card, it's a Debt Card!

(remember how the "Credit Cards" were issued many years before the debit cards, these things don't happen by accident!)
David_Old_Jersey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2011, 11:00   #79

Boat: Camano Troll 31'

A. what are your total annual expenses
B. what are your anticipated monthly living expenses
C. what are your estimated personal / entertainment expenses
D. what is your monthly sailing budget (where do you expect to sail and the associated fees and taxes, maintenance costs, slip fees while cruising).
E. what $$ do you need to invest in your boat b4 you can sail away

now... do some arithmetic:

(A*20) +( B*240) + (C*240) + (D*240)= [CASH IN THE BANK TODAY*]

E= separate pile of cash for the purchase and retrofit.

*budget for 20 years without income. Now add a pention (not big) and SS (whatever that will be)

This was my formula, and I met it. Also the "E" is above and beyond my savings for living.
Old 05-10-2011, 19:16   #80

Boat: Hunter Cherubini 25'

“Your time is limited, so don’t waste it living someone else’s life. Don’t be trapped by dogma — which is living with the results of other people’s thinking. Don’t let the noise of others’ opinions drown out your own inner voice. And most important, have the courage to follow your heart and intuition. They somehow already know what you truly want to become. Everything else is secondary." ~ Steve Jobs
BareFtGrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2011, 20:00   #81

Boat: Beneteau 393

I understand and am right there with you. One of our dear friends sold his company and ready to retire after 40 years of hard work and in 8 months was gone from us in an instant. I dont want to go to that point. work till I am sore and tired and then leave the spoils to the children to fight over it...........But how do you know that you have planned ahead far enough and saved enough and that the pension will be enough? If you release the ropes as soon as your debt free, do you need $50,000.00 readily available of is 20,000 enough...........how do you know?
got seashells? is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2011, 20:15   #82

On Dec 25, 2009 My wife and I enjoyed a wonderful Christmas with our daughter and her family, On December 26 my wife was a vegetable for all intents and purposes due to brain cancer that was not even diagnosed until February. I will take a 200 grain lead pill before I let that happen to me. And I will spend every cent I have to do what I want to do.
Old 05-10-2011, 20:26   #83

Boat: Gulfstar 53 - Osiris

Quote:
Originally Posted by got seashells? View Post
. . . But how do you know that you have planned ahead far enough and saved enough and that the pension will be enough? If you release the ropes as soon as your debt free, do you need $50,000.00 readily available of is 20,000 enough...........how do you know?
The current "rule of thumb" is does your retirement and investment income equal more than one third of your total land living costs. Then you can get rid of everything "land-based" and go cruising.
- - So since everybody has a different standard of living, you cannot really attach a dollar number to the question. You have to know how "basic" you want to live while cruising.
- - If you want to survive your land "friends" you should have led a life of basic natural foods and some exercise. Couch potatoes don't last very long after retiring from work.
- - Everything is so individualistic that only you know what level of medical insurance and other medical support stuff you need. It is different for everybody.
osirissail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2011, 20:47   #84

I need a complete change to exit my previous life ashore. As I did when I quit smoking. I quit my job, moved 800 miles and started a new job, haven't smoked in 20 years. I was able to quit cold turkey. This change will start a new life style that will be what I want it to be.
Old 05-10-2011, 23:53   #85

Boat: It’s in French Polynesia now

Quote:
Originally Posted by BareFtGrl View Post
“Your time is limited, so don’t waste it living someone else’s life. Don’t be trapped by dogma — which is living with the results of other people’s thinking. Don’t let the noise of others’ opinions drown out your own inner voice. And most important, have the courage to follow your heart and intuition. They somehow already know what you truly want to become. Everything else is secondary." ~ Steve Jobs
BTW Who happened to pass away today.

Steve Jobs, Apple founder, dies - CNN.com
Old 06-10-2011, 00:48   #86

Boat: 1981 Nor'sea 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by delmarrey View Post
BTW Who happened to pass away today.

Steve Jobs, Apple founder, dies - CNN.com
Surprised me!

I didn't know until reading different articles that he was fighting cancer. I never got any Apple products but I sure do have a lot of respect for the guy.
Rhapsody-NS27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2011, 01:03   #87

Boat: 1981 Nor'sea 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by BareFtGrl View Post
That really is a nice quote. Even though I'm in Germany at the moment, I almost want to go ahead and buy a boat in TX for whenever I return to the US before someone trys talking me out of it any longer. With all the stuff going on at work, I feel like I need to get out on the water, have a peaceful sail and de-stress from everything. Whenever I finally retire, I'm thinking of taking at least a year off and go cruising, traveling or anything else that doesn't involve WORK!
Rhapsody-NS27 is offline   Reply With Quote