Cruisers Forum

Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-01-2009, 20:00   #121
CF Adviser

Boat: 14 meter sloop
sheesh!

Quote:
Originally Posted by GordMay View Post
Crossed fingers are nice - but as one of the Mods, I'd appreciate constructive advice as to the solution(s) to these kind of issues, as would (I'm certain) the other Mods.
Every third post in this thread offers constructive advice, even prior to the above request. I refer you to Acoustic's suggestion that you become lest restrictive in terms of editing.

You have trouble here.
It's systemic.
Learn from your mistakes.
Old 05-01-2009, 20:27   #122
Eternal Member

Boat: Ericson 27 & 18' Herrmann Catboat
And remember

In doG we trust, evil=live pirates=parties

Quote:
Originally Posted by bstreep View Post
Aoccdrnig to a rscheearch at Cmabrigde Uinervtisy, it deosn’t mttaer in waht oredr the ltteers in a wrod are, the olny iprmoetnt tihng is taht the frist and lsat ltteer be at the rghit pclae. The rset can be a total mses and you can sitll raed it wouthit a porbelm. Tihs is bcuseae the huamn mnid deos not raed ervey lteter by istlef, but the wrod as a wlohe. Amzanig huh?

The above is an urban legend, but still fun...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stillraining View Post
And here all theas years we have been worried about dyslexia...now proven another false health concern...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanani View Post
Thank you for bringing sanity to this thread.........

BTW.....I'M quitting too.....I will never visit this thread again. Nothing..anyone can say will make me return to this thread.....and that's final.

Good-bye all..........
Old 05-01-2009, 21:06   #123
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Now boatless :-(
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acoustic View Post

OPEN UP editing and I'll gladly post a LOT more here so that I can correct my spelling and grammatical errors I did not catch the first time or within the first half hour. There is a reason I have shared thousands of posts on other forums and only a few hundred here.
Here is probably the definitive thread on editing in Cruiser Forum. We open this issue up for discussion periodically as well.

http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...sts-19905.html

My humble opinion is that other sailing sites may have more posts but we have more useful posts.

On (some) other sites I have to make sure my wife and son are not in the room because I have absolutely no idea what will show up on my screen on any particular subject.

Quote:
Originally Posted by defjef View Post

I don't think that moderation has added one positive thing to any discussion forum except to remove the ad hominem and nastiness if that comes out in a docussion. The threads here seem rather tame and frankly boring.

Suffering the censorship is the price "members pay" to have access to information and exchange of ideas. There's no reason why it can't be less autocratic because X,Y & Z "own this portal".

<snip>

Why would anyone want to be a moderator in the first place? Any shrinks on board?
If every single sailing website on the net were the same there would only be a need for one. This site is different than a lot of other sites.

That's a good thing.

(Being a moderator gets us a bigger Avatar, our name in bold letters and a huge salary!)

Quote:
BTW.....I'M quitting too.....I will never visit this thread again. Nothing..anyone can say will make me return to this thread.....and that's final.
Please come back to this thread. I miss you. I'll come over and clean your boat's hull for 6 months, I'll varnish your boat's bright work, I will clean your anchor chain.

Please, please, please come back. This thread cannot survive without you.
Old 05-01-2009, 21:16   #124

Quote:
Originally Posted by bashful View Post
Every third post in this thread offers constructive advice, even prior to the above request. I refer you to Acoustic's suggestion that you become lest restrictive in terms of editing.
What is to stop one editing their post BEFORE they submit it .

One then gets a bit of time if you notice a typo after posting for correction. If one change ones mind as to what was wanted to say sometime after that one can only assume that one didn't know what they were talking about or didn't really want to say what they said - which then raises the question as to why they bothered posting it in the first place.

If one makes a genuine error in giving advice, one can always correct it in a subsequent post - well, that is what I do (on the very rare occasion I make a genuine error ) but I can understand others would like to just quietly correct themselves a day later and hope no one notices . If one makes some silly post after being on the turps for too long, well that's what the moderators are for and will give the rest of us a giggle until they notice it .

In the end we're none of us (I hope) thinking we are writing an encyclopedia or a paper worthy of a Nobel Prize here so what the hell if something is not quite right. Maybe some take it all (and maybe themselves) too seriously.
Old 05-01-2009, 21:23   #125
CF Adviser
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:

Good-bye all..........
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ex-Calif View Post
Please come back to this thread. I miss you. I'll come over and clean your boat's hull for 6 months, I'll varnish your boat's bright work, I will clean your anchor chain.

Please, please, please come back. This thread cannot survive without you.
Heh. You're the best, Dan.

TaoJones
Old 06-01-2009, 05:55   #126
Eternal Member

Boat: Simpson, Catamaran, 46ft. IMAGINE
I am wondering if Chuck has any idea of the pot he stirred? If he does he's probably ROFL with a stomache ache!.....i2f
Old 06-01-2009, 06:33   #127

Boat: Catalina 34 - "Points North"
Quote:
Originally Posted by MidLandOne View Post
What is to stop one editing their post BEFORE they submit it .

One then gets a bit of time if you notice a typo after posting for correction. If one change ones mind as to what was wanted to say sometime after that one can only assume that one didn't know what they were talking about or didn't really want to say what they said - which then raises the question as to why they bothered posting it in the first place.

If one makes a genuine error in giving advice, one can always correct it in a subsequent post - well, that is what I do (on the very rare occasion I make a genuine error ) but I can understand others would like to just quietly correct themselves a day later and hope no one notices . If one makes some silly post after being on the turps for too long, well that's what the moderators are for and will give the rest of us a giggle until they notice it .

In the end we're none of us (I hope) thinking we are writing an encyclopedia or a paper worthy of a Nobel Prize here so what the hell if something is not quite right. Maybe some take it all (and maybe themselves) too seriously.
Agree totally! A few simple rules; Never post while drunk, angry or exhausted. The editing issue will probably go away. (What will we do with the other 23 hours?)
Old 06-01-2009, 06:40   #128

Boat: William Atkin Cutter, 35'
We be leaving this forum too. Too much police work here for us. We, the members, are totally capable of self policeing and ignoring those post and members who offend us. They would be weeded out by the membership in time if they were just ignored and not responded to.

That said, the adm. must be respected and run the forum as they see fit. Let the chips fall where they may! Time will tell.

Maybe this forum has gotten too big and too formal.

This has been a difficult decision for us as we have received much more than we have provided to others.

Myrna and Earl
S/V "ROSA"
bambookey@hotmail.com
Old 06-01-2009, 07:20   #129

Boat: William Atkin Cutter, 35'
Since I was not allowed to edit this post, I will edit it here!

Spelling corrections and errors.

FIRST SENTENCE, (We will be leaving this forum to.)
Old 06-01-2009, 07:40   #130

Boat: Panda/Baba 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave the Canuck View Post
Agree totally! A few simple rules; Never post while drunk, angry or exhausted. The editing issue will probably go away. (What will we do with the other 23 hours?)
Hello? Sailors? Not drunk, angry, or exhausted? Do we know how to BE anything else?
Old 06-01-2009, 07:42   #131

Boat: 2009 West Wight Potter 19, Pyewacket
I am new to this Forum and I have to say I had no idea so many children owned boats! Amazing. Chuck has had his 15 minutes -- can't we move on?

This is perfectly ridiculous -- he is not the only knowledgeable poster so let's respect the rules of road here and say a QUICK goodbye to those who don't like these rules. There are plenty of other forums for their voices.

Yikes!
Old 06-01-2009, 08:07   #132
Back to the game

Boat: Pearson Countess 44 wannabe
MatildaMouse

I can tell you are new to the forum, I don´t think that referring to other members as "children owning boats" shows respect for other cruisers and sailors.

Chuck is an asset not only to the CF.com but for the entire sailing community and I personally don´t find proper that a newcomer expresses such a radical opinion without sufficient knowledge of this community.

Best regards
Old 06-01-2009, 08:10   #133
Back to the game

Boat: Pearson Countess 44 wannabe
i2fro Chuck really stirred a big pot here lol

Well done Chuck
Old 06-01-2009, 08:28   #134
CF Adviser

Boat: Van Helleman Schooner 65ft StarGazer
Welcome Matilda…..you have sailed into a post with some strong feelings from many frequent contributors to CF about perceived heavy handedness in moderating conflicting points of view. (I hate wholesale deletions of posts)

So in reality, this is more than just about Chuck! I know that Andy and Janet are monitoring this thread, getting a sense of what the majority feel and considering a few good suggestions put forth.

After over 5000 hits and 130 posts I hope there will be a formal comment by them soon on whether there will be any changes.

Bear with us while we wash our laundry in public!
Old 06-01-2009, 08:31   #135
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Research vessel for a university, retired now.
I tend to agree with Dan in the sense that a forum does need moderation so that the subject matter does stay on topic. Thread after thread about things which have to do with the forum itself or things that do not relate to cruising are a waste of time for people who are looking up information about a specific boating topic.

Moderators act as necessary filters for those who do not want to have to wade through irrelevant topics and peoples personal off topic rants.

Ask yourself, which type of forum you would rather visit? One that has a heavy concentration of relevant information or something that requires quite a bit wading through irrelevant information in order to get to what you are looking for? For most people, their time is quite valuable.

Efforts are made to keep this place from becoming a soap opera between different personalities. Other boating websites dwell on that. Its your choice on which type of site you prefer to visit.

As has already been stated, there are plenty of other boating related websites with a high percentage of peoples commenting about things that have absolutely nothing to do with boating. Nobody is stopping you from visiting websites that are more chaotic and off topic.

I think that trying to stay focused on boats in an atmosphere of politeness is the correct course to take. To achieve this, sometimes a little prodding by the moderators to get back on course is a necessary thing.

Next time you see someones post either eliminated or modified, take note that it probably had absolutely nothing directly to do with boating. Chances are it had something to do with keeping this forum a civil environment or on topic environment. I think that says a lot.

Life begins where land ends.
Closed Thread