Cruisers Forum

Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-01-2009, 15:28   #106

I don't know about the specific issues that have led others to leave on their own free will. I assume that they were given a hobson-like choice and chose to depart. I believe those who do leave perceive the moderation as censorship and "intrusive" to a free and open discussion. Frankly I agree. I think that adults don't need to have moderated discussions and can "self police".

The same can be said for "foul" language which all adults hear and many use and no one is going to suffer from hearing it or reading it, yet the FCC and many boards forbid this type of language. Frankly that's dumb too.

Off topic discussion like politics and religion and taste in music should not be moderated and will clearly be passionate. Who cares? People with no opinions probably won't be interested and those with opinions won't be changing them, but like to rattle of their points. Who cares?

What isn't acceptable is ad hominem attacks which are just dumb.

I had a post pulled and was taken to the wood shed by a few mods who were completely wrong. Why? because I was "there" and what I stated was a matter of public record in the State of Connecticut, City of Norwalk court records. It was not hearsay or opinion or defamation of character or libelous. I stated facts. Yet my post was pulled and I was "silenced" and I was not able to use this forum to "alert" others. Lovely.

I don't think that moderation has added one positive thing to any discussion forum except to remove the ad hominem and nastiness if that comes out in a docussion. The threads here seem rather tame and frankly boring.

Suffering the censorship is the price "members pay" to have access to information and exchange of ideas. There's no reason why it can't be less autocratic because X,Y & Z "own this portal". I suspect that, but don't know, that this either makes money or breaks even so perhaps sponsors don't want to support some sort of anarchical madhouse when it's supposed to be discussions about sailing amongst adults.

When experienced and mature people leave because the feel "infantialized" then there's something wrong here. And the here is not the members but the moderation of content.

We need more free speech not less. We need more democracy not less.

Why would anyone want to be a moderator in the first place? Any shrinks on board?
Old 05-01-2009, 15:28   #107

Boat: Challenger Anacapa 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stillraining View Post
I hope I have half this many people show up to my funeral....
Even if they do, I bet they wont look at ya 3956 times!

Here's to swimmin' with bowlegged women!
Old 05-01-2009, 15:32   #108

Unhappy Nothing will ever be the same

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stillraining View Post
I hope I have half this many people show up to my funeral....
Very, very funny!!

Kind of reminds me of when the Beatles broke up. Anyone remember that?

LOL
Old 05-01-2009, 15:36   #109

Boat: De Kleer Fraser 30
Isn't there something to be considered when we lose Sully, Chuck and Wheels in 12 months?

If this was my business I would be seriously wondering where the Brain was Draining to.

Perhaps we should have a purgatorical off-site part of CF where divisive threads can be sent and only accessed by those who want to continue following them? Then when the Mods feel they have done what they need to the offending Poster can be restored to full access, rather than thinking they have to take their considerable talent elsewhere?

Patrick
Old 05-01-2009, 16:01   #110

Boat: Knysna 480
I hate long goodbyes............and this one is definitely getting long!
Old 05-01-2009, 16:04   #111
cruiser

Boat: Catalac Catamaran
Quote:
Originally Posted by rjrendemd View Post
I hate long goodbyes............and this one is definitely getting long!
Actually this is about average for this type of issue here.
Old 05-01-2009, 16:07   #112
Now on the Dark Side: Stink Potter.

Boat: Sea Hunt 234 Ultra
Quote:
It is just as if American Airlines all of a sudden started loosing premier pilots...no matter what they do, they would loose traffic...
Hmm, not so sure: I am a pilot for American Airlines and I hope we loose the senior pilots (Not premier, whatever that is) so I would move up in seniority and get more days off for more money.

Perhaps that is the same with this board? We loose senior guys and the junior ones move up a notch...?

As for Chuck and Sully and them guys leaving town, yeah they are already missed as a familiar face is always comforting: You know who ya are dealing with and it feels good to be among old friends.

Moderators:

Tend to take the job too seriously...Live and let live and don't kill the guys who keeps the bord rolling.
Old 05-01-2009, 16:20   #113
Eternal Member

Boat: Ericson 27 & 18' Herrmann Catboat
Unlimited Editing of psts, becuase somteimes we am posting and dnt ketch our speling errers.....O rmaybe we want to tone down the stridency of our meesage
Old 05-01-2009, 16:29   #114

Boat: Was - Passport 45 Ketch
HOLLY CRAP!!!!!
Old 05-01-2009, 16:35   #115
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1990 Macintosh 47, "Merlin"
Aoccdrnig to a rscheearch at Cmabrigde Uinervtisy, it deosn’t mttaer in waht oredr the ltteers in a wrod are, the olny iprmoetnt tihng is taht the frist and lsat ltteer be at the rghit pclae. The rset can be a total mses and you can sitll raed it wouthit a porbelm. Tihs is bcuseae the huamn mnid deos not raed ervey lteter by istlef, but the wrod as a wlohe. Amzanig huh?

The above is an urban legend, but still fun...
Old 05-01-2009, 16:42   #116

Boat: Irwin 41 CC Ketch
And here all theas years we have been worried about dyslexia...now proven another false health concern...

Relationships are everything to me...everything else in life is just a tool to enhance them.
Old 05-01-2009, 17:30   #117

Boat: Was - Passport 45 Ketch
Quote:
Originally Posted by bstreep View Post
Aoccdrnig to a rscheearch at Cmabrigde Uinervtisy, it deosn’t mttaer in waht oredr the ltteers in a wrod are, the olny iprmoetnt tihng is taht the frist and lsat ltteer be at the rghit pclae. The rset can be a total mses and you can sitll raed it wouthit a porbelm. Tihs is bcuseae the huamn mnid deos not raed ervey lteter by istlef, but the wrod as a wlohe. Amzanig huh?

The above is an urban legend, but still fun...
Thank you for bringing sanity to this thread.........

BTW.....I'M quitting too.....I will never visit this thread again. Nothing..anyone can say will make me return to this thread.....and that's final.

Good-bye all..........
Old 05-01-2009, 17:35   #118

Boat: Allied Princess, 36-Scallywag
Chuck,
If the number of posts does not move you nothing will. Your posts are repected by a number of participants. Your views might not be but that is not the questionj. All views are appreciated by me, even though I might dissagree.........Please stay in touch. I know I have made some big flubs.....
John
Old 05-01-2009, 17:56   #119

Boat: PETERSON 44
and on it goes

Sorry to drag this on
I have been subject to intervention by the moderators. I was puzzled most times as the topic was controversial to begin with and I refrain from using insulting or degrading descriptions. I do however enjoy stirring the pot at times. I have never moderated a forum and hope never to so its hard to be judgmental while some fellow sailor wrecks, needs a tow, or finds himself in need of assistance posters are allowed without knowledge of circumstance to slander or classify stupid the skipper on speculation. See (if you head off shore in the winter) There was some good speculation and disscussion in the thread without insult while others in controversial fashion used names that may or may not be correct were insulting. hopefully in the new year consistency and success will prevail. perhaps the insulted will return the thick of skin will be perceptive and opinions will be heard and (moderation not needed?)
Old 05-01-2009, 18:59   #120

Quote:
Originally Posted by psteele235 View Post
Isn't there something to be considered when we lose Sully, Chuck and Wheels in 12 months?
WHAT!!!

I've been gone a few months off. I just start reading the forum again to find my favorite posters are gone?? What the heck....???