Cruisers Forum

View Poll Results: Have you ever seen a Flying Saucer when sailing?
Nope, never seen nothing. 38 42.70%
Seen some weird stuff, but it wasn't aliens 27 30.34%
Yes 9 10.11%
Yes, and I was abducted and probed too 15 16.85%
Voters: 89. You may not vote on this poll

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 22-10-2008, 14:57   #1

Boat: Nantucket Island 33
Flying Saucers and Sailing

Couple of UFO stories floating around on the news at the moment. Although I have to confess I am in two minds as to whether UFOs originating from other worlds exist or not, I was reading about the Fred Valentich incident that happened over the Bass Straight 30 years ago and the transcript of his radio conversation with air traffic control raised the hairs on the back of my neck (link).

Anyway, this got me thinking that when it comes to spotting UFOs and other weird stuff, being on a boat would have to be the ideal platform to catch a glimpse of these things, especially during those night watches under clear, dark skies.

So let's have it. Seen anything really weird in the skies while out at sea?
Reefmagnet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-10-2008, 15:30   #2
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
If we have no idea WHAT they are, how could we have any opinion of WHENCE they come?
UFO = UNIDENTIFIED Flying Object

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-10-2008, 16:00   #3
Kai Nui

I thought they were aliens, but it turned out, they were just locals. Some STRANGE people out there
Old 22-10-2008, 16:13   #4

Boat: Beneteau First 42
On our return from our Key West cruise last June, my wife awakened me at o'dark thirty during her watch with a report that she was seeing a UFO. She reported a rapidly approaching light and confirmed it on our radar and insisted I check. (And I'm supposed to do what...?)

It was a plane on the approach pattern for Naples Airport! Evidently they flicked on their landing lights just before passing over us in the Gulf!

With that I took an early watch ("just to be sure!"...Of?)

s/v HyLyte
"It is not so much for its beauty that the Sea makes a claim upon men's hearts, as for that subtle something, that quality of air, that emanation from the waves, that so wonderfully renews a weary spirit."
svHyLyte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-10-2008, 17:40   #5

Boat: Far From Turtle: 1980 Pearson 424 cutter rigged ketch
For those who want to believe, I'm told that there are regular sightings off the coast at Gulf Breeze Florida. Just google Gulf Breeze Florida UFO sightings for some entertainment if you have time to waste.

If you go, let me know if you see anything besides aircraft landing on your stern - ;=>
First Mate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-10-2008, 17:44   #6

Boat: Catalina 34 - "Points North"
Read Bill Brysons', "A Brief History of Nearly Everything". He makes a good point of how extremely improbable it is that Aliens are travelling gazillions of miles in order to make crop circles, etc... He does, however, allow that they might have teenagers...
Old 22-10-2008, 17:45   #7
Obsfucator, Second Class

Boat: 1982 Sea Ray SRV360
I read a book (Sorry, can't remember the title) that proclaimed itself to be the definitive book proving the existence of UFO's, (Yes, Gord, they should have said proving the existence of alien visits ). At one point they stated that 90% of the sightings can be explained. Their claim is that 10% not explained is proof of existance. I figure if only 10% of the sightings can't be explained, that goes a long way towards convincing me that they don't exist. We can't explain 10% of anything, much less optical illusions in the sky.

But I only say "not proven to exist", I don't say "proven not to exist". Of course it is possible. (And I'm only addressing that one statistic here, not other "proofs".)

Having said all that, I'm still interested in hearing anybody's stories.

-dan
dacust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-10-2008, 17:48   #8
Eternal Member

Boat: Ericson 27 & 18' Herrmann Catboat
I don't beLIEve in aliens in UFOS.

Given the megaproliferation of various photo devices, phones etc.....all we get is blurry grainy photos.

And there is no space program that doesn't lose a spacecraft or part.....we got nothin
Chief Engineer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-10-2008, 18:26   #9

Great question. I would love to hear what people have seen out in the seas. I would think that being out on a passage with no man made light pollution, you would see tons of detail on a clear night. On my voyages, I would see tons of stars very clearly as well as even some satellites if you look closely.

Can't say I've seen UFO's, but I have seen passing Satellites, planes, meteor showers, etc.. I would LOVE to see a UFO moving with intelligent control. Who knows, perhaps some day.
shadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-10-2008, 18:27   #10

Boat: 47' Olympic Adventure
I answered Yes, but it was just a light - not necessarily a flying saucer. Middle watch, middle of the Pacific; I was out on the bridge wing checking on the lookout and both of us saw a strange light. It was bright and twinkled - we discussed what it could be. I figured it was a planet, so I told the lookout I would check the nautical almanac. Before I could do so, we both saw this until-then stationary light suddenly shoot across the sky and out of sight. We decided to keep it between ourselves - even now I have no idea what it could have been, but I don't rule out the possibility it was a man-made or entirely natural phenomenon.
Lodesman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-10-2008, 21:54   #11

Boat: inspiration 10 - 10.5 mtrs capricorn magic
On a solo trip from Wollongong Hbr to Sydney hbr, Aust. in the late 80s I was aware of a extremley fast light going the horizon north to south a mile out to sea from me but it was a bit cloudy and the light was reflecting on the clouds. It was too fast for a jet and with no noise. I couldn't explain it to myself let alone anybody else.
lolanreg@smartc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-10-2008, 21:55   #12

Boat: Panda/Baba 40
The laws of physics and physiology can make some VERY strange and interesting phenomena. Couple that with being perpetually exhausted on night watch and well... I'd frankly be suprised if NOBODY ever occasionally saw little green men.
anotherT34C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-10-2008, 01:24   #13
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Now boatless :-(
I see UFOs all the time.

By definition any object flying in the sky that you have not identified is a Unidentified Flying Object.

- From the files of Kapitan Obvious
Ex-Calif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-10-2008, 04:24   #14
CF Adviser

Boat: Van Helleman Schooner 65ft StarGazer
Strange things happen

We have seen a few flying saucers in our day …….but the worst was a watermelon that flew out of the deep galley sink and shot across the boat to explode just above my head where I was sleeping in the pilot berth.

I woke up in the dark, the boat on it's beam ends, with that red sticky stuff all over my face and I thought it was my brains!

The owner of a Swan I was delivering decided to sail out of the lee where I had put him right into a full Tehuantepecker that blew us about 180nm out to sea for 2 hellish days.

I was certainly contemplating giving him an anal probe with the business end of my foot!

WINDS: Publications: Gulf of Tehuantepec
Pelagic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-10-2008, 05:32   #15
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
Avrocar built by Avro Canada for the US military:
http://www.virtuallystrange.net/ufo/...o/avrocar.html
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	avrocar-2.jpg
Views:	196