Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Flotsam & Sailing Miscellany
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 27-10-2019, 11:12   #1

Does Anyone Have The Breitling Emergency II?

As the title say, wondering if anyone has the Breitling Emergency II (or any other emergency beacon watch). Hopefully you never had to use it, but just wondering if it's a worth while investment if you plan on owning a boat?

GateKeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-10-2019, 12:02   #2
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
Re: Does Anyone Have The Breitling Emergency II?

Greetings and welcome aboard the CF, Gatekeeper.

Absolutely! No potential boat owner should even consider going without one for every potential crew/passenger.
https://www.chrono24.ca/breitling/em...mod21.htm#gref

GordMay is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 27-10-2019, 12:06   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

Trying to remember the very wealthy, famous person that crashed I believe the borrowed Bellanca and was apparently eventually eaten by bears. It seems that the watch didn’t work for him.
Fossett?
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-10-2019, 12:13   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Gord, I believe they can be had for only 3 or 4K US used, but I wouldn’t want to bet that tiny transmitter would actually be received.
On Edit, I’m not even a fan of a PLB unless you already have an EPIRB due of battery size and other factors, but a watch? How much power can a watches battery push into a transmitter?
You know how rumors are, but I had heard through a bush pilot group that Fosset had activated his, and no one received it.
Too bad cause maybe if the Hilton’s had put a “real” 406 ELT in the airplane he might not have become a bears lunch, now I’m sure he was likely dead before he was eaten.
Remains were found a half mile from the airplane. Official report I believe says a bear likely drug him there, but the local Ranger who you would have to assume knows bears says he doesn’t believe it, bears are too lazy to do that, and why would they? It was the middle of nowhere no need to drag the body off.
Old 27-10-2019, 12:55   #5

That is a very interesting piece of technology, would not rely on it as a primary emergency device.. but as a redundant piece of equipment for emergencies.. why not.. aside from price lol.

RR
TheRailRoader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-10-2019, 13:01   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by GordMay View Post
Greetings and welcome aboard the CF, Gatekeeper.

Absolutely! No potential boat owner should even consider going without one for every potential crew/passenger.
https://www.chrono24.ca/breitling/em...mod21.htm#gref

Hi Gord, Thanks!

I wasn't really sure if these watches were gimmicks or not. The link provided has quite the selection, will defiantly check them out.
Old 27-10-2019, 13:04   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by a64pilot View Post
Trying to remember the very wealthy, famous person that crashed I believe the borrowed Bellanca and was apparently eventually eaten by bears. It seems that the watch didn’t work for him.
Fossett?

That was my fear, was not sure how reliable these type of watches are. I mean for the price I would hope they would be iron clad as far functionality/reliability.
Old 27-10-2019, 13:23   #8
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

I know it’s the Modern digital world and all, and I’m an analog guy and some stuff is just magic, sort of a pig looking at a wrist watch.
However even magic can’t I don’t think pull enough power from a wrist watch battery to power a true EPIRB type of device, and then we have the issue of an effective antenna.

To me this smells of the Solar powered car.

Tags
emergency, enc