Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 19-01-2009, 20:48   #16
CF Adviser
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadFish View Post
Hmmm, what's this w bench and who are these others? Avid golfers such as myself?
BF, try to get your hands on a copy of an old Arlo Guthrie album called Alices's Restaruant and listen to the "song" that covers all of Side B. Oh yeah, if you find yourself on the Group W bench, watch out for the father-rapers.

I ran the table in the NYTimes interactive NFL Playoffs bracket on the AFC side. On the NFC side, well, after picking Arizona in the first round, I didn't make one other correct pick. Still, out of 10976 I'm number 599 with 143 points. I got screwed out of 7 bonus points in the San Diego/Indianapolis game when they skipped the meaningless extra point after the Charger touchdown in OT. Those 7 points would probably move me into at least the top 200.

I can't move up now though, as I had picked the Giants to win the NFC and to beat the Steelers in the Super Bowl.

Having said all that, if I were a betting man (heh ), I'd take the Cardinals and the points. As I see it, it'll either be a pretty close game, or a blowout - with the Steelers likely to win a close game, and the Cardinals likely to win if it's a blowout.

As always, key injuries could play a huge role.

TaoJones
Old 19-01-2009, 21:16   #17

Boat: 1989 Carver Santego 3067 - BADFISH
Send a message via AIM to BadFish
Quote:
watch out for the father-rapers
Hahaha, still don't get it. So was he calling me a father-raper, or saying my father is going to get raped? My pops won't like that.

Tao, good pickin so far, no one could've picked the Cards and if they did they have a time machine or can see the future. We have been "blown out" twice in the past 36 games (12/9/2007 L to NE by 21, 12/21/2008 L to Tenn by 17). The game will most certainly be close, with the best O', IMHO, against the best D.

The safest bet, is to never bet against the greatest sports franchise in the history of existence.

Cheers

Bill
Old 19-01-2009, 21:36   #18
CF Adviser
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Hahaha, still don't get it. So was he calling me a father-raper, or saying my father is going to get raped? My pops won't like that.

Tao, good pickin so far, no one could've picked the Cards and if they did they have a time machine or can see the future. We have been "blown out" twice in the past 36 games (12/9/2007 L to NE by 21, 12/21/2008 L to Tenn by 17). The game will most certainly be close, with the best O', IMHO, against the best D.

The safest bet, is to never bet against the greatest sports franchise in the history of existence.

Cheers

Bill
Seriously, get hold of Alice's Restaurant and the whole Group W bench thing will become clear - and, if you're as twisted as I get the impression you are , you'll laugh your ass off.

Yes, it's hard to imagine the Steelers getting blown out, and D wins championships more often than not, but the Cards are on a hell of a roll right now and they have the ability to put up a lot of points in a hurry, so . . . who knows?

But "greatest sports franchise in the history of existence?" That may be just a teensy exageration. The Steelers were the red-headed stepchild of the NFL for a long time - a "down market" team. Their salvation was the merger of the old AFL and the NFL when they, along with the Cleveland Browns and Baltimore Colts, moved into the AFC to balance the number of teams in each Conference.

That proved to be like a super-dose of magic from Balco for the Steelers. Suddenly, they were no longer a doormat and actually showed some strength in the weaker AFC. Of course, that led to the Steelers domination of the 70s when you were what, a toddler? It must be hard to watch Terry Bradshaw on FOX and think "This buffoon was the quarterback of the best teams in Steelers' history?"

Anyway, I hope it's a good game - most Super Bowls don't live up to the hype.

TaoJones
Old 19-01-2009, 21:52   #19

Quote:
that led to the Steelers domination of the 70s when you were what, a toddler?
Hahaha, toddler? I wasn't even a gleam in me daddy's eye. '82 for me.

The Black n' Gold is a way of life round here, bred into ya from birth. Anyone raised around Western PA would say the same as me, greatest team EVER.

TB is no buffoon, he is a fun-lovin country boy. I hate people who take life too seriously, and yes I am pretty twisted. To me life's about havin a good time, and havin good stories to tell. Terry's the type of person I'd love to dock next to at the marina. We'd drink beer, tell stories, and play some dock golf.

Terry'd be game... WWTBD?

Cheers

Bill
Old 19-01-2009, 22:08   #20
CF Adviser
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
The Black n' Gold is a way of life round here, bred into ya from birth. Anyone raised around Western PA would say the same as me, greatest team EVER.
Well, off the top of my head I can think of four people who would probably disagree with you, and they're all from around Pittsburgh/western PA: Johnny Unitas, Joe Montana, Joe Namath and Dan Marino. Do their opinions count?

And yes, Bradshaw is a buffoon, but you're probably right that he'd be fun to hang with - for a little while. You're probably way too young to know who I mean when I mention Opie Taylor, but if Bradshaw doesn't look like Opie in his Louisiana Tech football picture on his Wikipedia page, I'll bet all of my money on the Steelers.

TaoJones

PS: What Would Tom Brady Do? I'd guess the same thing anyone else who was tight with Gisele Bundchen would do - "sleep" in as often as possible!
Old 20-01-2009, 02:19   #21
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Now boatless :-(
Bad Fish - You must be younger than I guessed.

It was a song by Arlo Guthrie and became a hippy movie.

THe group W bench refers to them getting busted for littering. Later he has to report for the draft and gets stuck on the group w bench with all the "real" bad criminals, like father stabbers and even father rapers...

He's calling you a bad boy I think...

Check this out -

Ex-Calif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-01-2009, 02:42   #22
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
LYRICS - Alice's Restaurant

Alice's Restaurant ~ By Arlo Guthrie

This song is called Alice's Restaurant, and it's about Alice, and the
restaurant, but Alice's Restaurant is not the name of the restaurant, that's just the name of the song, and that's why I called the song Alice's Restaurant...

... And I, I walked over to the, to the bench there, and there is, Group W's where they put you if you may not be moral enough to join the army after committing your special crime, and there was all kinds of mean nasty ugly looking people on the bench there. Mother rapers. Father stabbers. Father rapers! Father rapers sitting right there on the bench next to me! And
they was mean and nasty and ugly and horrible crime-type guys sitting on the bench next to me. And the meanest, ugliest, nastiest one, the meanest father raper of them all, was coming over to me and he was mean 'n' ugly 'n' nasty 'n' horrible and all kind of things and he sat down next to me and said, "Kid, whad'ya get?" I said, "I didn't get nothing, I had to pay
$50 and pick up the garbage." He said, "What were you arrested for, kid?" And I said, "Littering." And they all moved away from me on the bench there, and the hairy eyeball and all kinds of mean nasty things, till I said, "And creating a nuisance." And they all came back, shook my hand, and we had a great time on the bench, talkin about crime, mother stabbing, father raping, all kinds of groovy things that we was talking about on the bench. And everything was fine, we was smoking cigarettes and all kinds of things, until the Sargeant came over, had some paper in his hand, held it up and said...

Complete Lyrics: LYRICS - Alice's Restaurant

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-01-2009, 08:22   #23

Ahhh, now I see

Hahaha, crazy hippies... Great stuff.

Maybe I should write a song about this, eh?

Cheers

Bill
Old 20-01-2009, 08:56   #24
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Research vessel for a university, retired now.
Most newer golf balls have an outer cover called Surlyn. Dupont Surlyn is a plastic. Of course its illegal to dump plastics in the water.

The older technology for golf balls is a balata cover. Balata is made from the milky substance from the bully tree (Manilkara bidentata)...therefore it is a natural substance. I guess if you are far enough offshore it would be legal to hit old balata balls?

I am an avid golfer myself. I have thought about driving a few balls off the after deck of my boat...(its a perfectly flat aluminum deck with an open transom and would work great). I have not done it so far because it is illegal...but boy would that be fun! I may still sneak a few one day when I am out there by myself and nobody is looking. Maybe it will help me get over my fear of water hazards?

Life begins where land ends.
David M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-01-2009, 09:28   #25

Quote:
Maybe it will help me get over my fear of water hazards?
Ha, Brilliant!

Check this out, I want one!

Tow it behind the ol' boat, maybe?

Cheers

Bill
Old 20-01-2009, 09:36   #26
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Research vessel for a university, retired now.
Hah...that's great! It's probably not a USGA approved ball but who cares if all your doing out there is having fun. Wouldn't it be fun to have contests to see who could land the most balls in the raft?

Life begins where land ends.
David M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-01-2009, 12:23   #27

Boat: PETERSON 44
Quote:
Hahaha, crazy hippies... Great stuff.

Maybe I should write a song about this, eh?

Cheers

Bill
Wasn't trying to call you a bad boy and hadn't realized I was getting old.
It Just seemed that a little thing like hitting golf balls was starting to escalate to a federal level and that song popped /flashed in my memory. Didn't realize we were allowed to use the phrase father raper or I may have gone on. You should write a song.
Here I was hitting golf balls on the dock and Officer Omally You remember officer Omaley don't you any way here he comes strollin down the dock and he says boy boy do you know what ya done... you write the rest.
Have fun golfing
sabray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-01-2009, 13:59   #28

Boat: tartan 33 soon
Send a message via AIM to no mas
pirate

Quote:
Originally Posted by martinworswick View Post
golf balls must cheap over there, i could never afford such an extravagant hobby!
sneak onto a golf course at night and hit the lakes... have pulled up many lbs of hitting materials... though dont tell the courses this... as its illegal in these parts....and dont mind the alligators... they usually asleep after sunset...