Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Flotsam & Sailing Miscellany
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 15-06-2009, 13:24   #61

Boat: 1974 Columbia 34'
Count me in for a year more, I'll be 29 next month.
Finding Id is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-06-2009, 13:52   #62
CF Adviser
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 380, now sold
I was curious, so I did a search in our membership database for members with birth dates after 15 June, 1979. We currently have 1,891 members in that category, or 8.4% of our total membership.
Old 15-06-2009, 14:10   #63

Boat: 44 footer
21 here.

Getting my Triton ready to go, but have some commitments in the way slowing me down. (I don't have the self control to have a boat ready to go and not head off... so dragging my feet and saving money while working on her!)

Zach
Zach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-06-2009, 23:12   #64

Boat: Pacific Seacraft a Crealock 34
I moved this from the other thread, I didn't want to butt into their conversation.

Irwin325,
I'm sorry! I was just joking around really. Thanks for the sailing invite sounds great. Please be assured I was just kidding

I got into sailing when I was 19. If you think your "one of the few", imagine a 19 year old girl- 20 years ago. There was just a handful of us girl sailors in all of clear lake. The up side we got a lot of help. My first bottom job, the haul out workers "showed" me how to scrape, then "showed" me how to sand-you get the point. Whats really funny is the person who hired me to do the bottom job always arrived when they were demonstrating how to do something. I think he felt he should of paid the yard guys instead
Sometimes its good to be girl.
Erika

One time "Tiny" a yard worker came up behind me while I was grinding a keel and tapped hard in my shoulder to get my attention. Well it almost knocked me over with the big grinder in my hand. I whipped around to see who the heck it was , threw off my respirator (I'm in a snow suit too) and demanded what he was doing. He was so shocked it was a "girl" grinding a keel, then he asked me to marry him. It was funny-the look on his face...priceless
Ocean Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-06-2009, 00:10   #65

Boat: Looking for a new boat
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimking100 View Post
Paraphrasing Leonard Cohen, we are always 25 in our minds eye. Though my body says 62 (ouch), I still think of myself as 25. Cohen also said we "don't get invited to play anymore." I think that is where the pain comes in. I think I'll take a previous posters offer to help grind my winches and pull night watches but the important thing is I'll be out there.
jim
Love leonard Cohen, Don't feel left out though, when we moved out here we left a bunch of flyers up around the marina offering to help people get off the dock if they were feeling a little to crotchety to do it themselves. No takers though. I try to be friendly to the sixty somethings in our marina but alas I sense a void.
unbusted67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-06-2009, 00:46   #66

Boat: Skookum 53'
unbusted67,
My reaction to your saying it bummed you out, is due to the fact that,when I was at your age, there were a lot of nay sayers, when I was going about doing things on my boat. And something that I have learned over the years is that there are always a lot of people around to say how you "can't " do something, no matter the endeavor. Those are the people who will always be left behind while you explore the far shores. They are the ones I meet in other places that tell me "When I was young, I wanted to go to Alaska, but then I got married, had kids, and got old and never went." Now they are just husks waiting to fall over. You will find there are those of us out here, whom will gladly give you positive encouragement, and lend a hand if you want it. Sail on and don't look back.
Old 18-06-2009, 00:58   #67

Ocean Girl I didnt take any hurt feelings at all from your comments. I did know that the thread "Anyone under thirty out there" would bend a few minds but just had to know who was out there. As not just being young I'm fairly well tattooed and a selfemployed young man(I get those looks and comments about where I got the money for my boat). But to my dock mates I can still say they have delt me a great deal of help and insight.
And Capt58 just had to say I agree 100%.
OG I would still like to go for a sail, maybe in your boat for a first sail.
Matt
Irwin325 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-06-2009, 06:23   #68

Yeah, Captain58sailin is right, and for every doubtful/odd look there are a hundred saying to themselves- Wow what a amazing person.
Irwin325, my baby is not sailable but would be glad to show you the boat and the million projects. When I get my bowsprit fixed, which will be in the next few months, you are invited on her maiden sail, as long as you don't mind going with a boat full of nurses
Erika
Old 18-06-2009, 17:05   #69

Boat: Looking for a new boat
Quote:
Originally Posted by captain58sailin View Post
unbusted67,
My reaction to your saying it bummed you out, is due to the fact that,when I was at your age, there were a lot of nay sayers, when I was going about doing things on my boat. And something that I have learned over the years is that there are always a lot of people around to say how you "can't " do something, no matter the endeavor. Those are the people who will always be left behind while you explore the far shores. They are the ones I meet in other places that tell me "When I was young, I wanted to go to Alaska, but then I got married, had kids, and got old and never went." Now they are just husks waiting to fall over. You will find there are those of us out here, whom will gladly give you positive encouragement, and lend a hand if you want it. Sail on and don't look back.
Amen to that and thanks. Keep being the yes man you are. And do stay young at heart.
unbusted67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-06-2009, 18:23   #70

Boat: Skookum 53'
Anytime
Old 20-06-2009, 15:42   #71

Irwin325
What about starting a social group for "Anyone under thirty out there"
Old 18-10-2010, 09:07   #72

Boat: Westsail 32 - Soon to be renamed RodeTrip
Still under 30

I'm only 28, and my wife is 27. We just bought our boat this summer, but we are still in the process of saving and preparing to depart. We're looking to depart in 2012, so I am trying to be ready to go at 30.
RodeTrip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-10-2010, 09:12   #73

32 (me), 31 (wife), 3 months (daughter).
rebel heart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-10-2010, 09:37   #74

I'm 24, don't have a boat and won't for a long time. It's just too expensive.

I mostly sail with a friend whose club charters a couple of beaten 20-feet trotters. I've sailed with a couple of acquaintances a couple of times, but it's always the same: when I can they can't, when they can I can't.

My old man always says, If you want a plan to come to fruition you have to plan everything yourself. It's harsh, but true.
Old 18-10-2010, 09:39   #75

Boat: 1974 Paceship PY23
25 here, girlfriend is 23.