Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-06-2009, 20:27   #1

Any Sailors Under Thirty Out There ?

Just a little curious where all the younger sailors are. In my Clear Lake, Texas area there is only one other young sailboat owner, in my marina atleast. The bohemian, gypsy sail thing has got to be more attractive than just twin V-8's and thosands of dallors in fuel for all those dame cigarette boats going 60mph down the channel. Let me know how many of us there are out there.
Matt
s/v Gypsy
Irwin 32.5
Irwin325 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2009, 20:31   #2

Boat: 63 ft John Spencer Schooner
I used to be one, a long time ago.

dana-tenacity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2009, 21:24   #3

Soon to be soon to be. I'll be sailing lake lanier to learn and get some time under my belt. I'm 24
Sailnoob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2009, 21:57   #4

Boat: Privilege 39 Catamaran, Exit Only
My mind is eighteen years old, but my body is sixty.
maxingout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2009, 22:16   #5

Boat: Beneteau 393
Good luck bro, it seems like we are always the youngest couple around (now 32). Good thing sailors of all ages like to drink beer and hang out on the water! Yep, seems the only thing harder than finding younger folks on the water is finding single girls on the water...THAT was impossible for me.
GeoPowers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2009, 22:18   #6

Boat: Looking for a new boat
Hey Matt, I am twenty eight. I had a similar thread last year where I took a poll you should be able to search for it.

I am always amazed at the lack of people our age out on sailboats. It seems like the ultimate chick magnet and the ultimate in an alternative lifestyle. I was in a band before I owned a boat: same mindset for me but apparently it's not the most rock star thing to do. My marina usually resembles a nursing home on the weekends. I'm pretty sure it has something to do with the fact that boating is wicked expensive and that bohemians, for all of their good qualities, do not tend to be rich people.
unbusted67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2009, 22:29   #7

Unbusted I agree its mad expensive but I have to say all that money going to my sailing habit is better than it going to my college coke habit.
Noob don't let the lake sailing get you down thats where I started and learned alot, just watch out for the jetski's.
Matt
Old 05-06-2009, 01:15   #8

Boat: Chiquita 46 - Libertalia
29.5!
idpnd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2009, 04:31   #9

Boat: Cal 39, Karma
Like...I love sailing. Like...look at those old people. Like hey dude aren't we cool. Like man...this bores me.
jim
jimking100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2009, 08:57   #10

Boat: Looking for a new boat
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimking100 View Post
Like...I love sailing. Like...look at those old people. Like hey dude aren't we cool. Like man...this bores me.
jim
Yikes, Sorry if I offended anyone there. It was not intended. I think this is a worthwhile conversation though so please don't mock it, or the way anyone speaks.
unbusted67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2009, 09:43   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by unbusted67 View Post
I think this is a worthwhile conversation though so please don't mock it, or the way anyone speaks.
I agree. But, I think it is also probably worthwhile to make, or at least be aware of, a distinction among young people who sail but don't own sailboats; young people who own Hobie Cats, or small racers, or other trailer-sailors; young people who own cruiser class boats but don't live on them, and young people who are cruising on sailboats.

By its terms the original post 'seemed' to be confined to young people who own a sailboat which they keep in a marina.

Kenneth Grahame, The Wind in the Willows (River Rat to Mole)
slomotion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2009, 09:55   #12

As OP I don't care what you sail. I've had two diffrent lil' cats before I bought my larger boat with the intention of casting off for the Carribean within the near future and living on her until I do. Allthough I did originaly post to make sure I wasnt one of only few of us out there. Who cares what boat you have. Unless you have to sneak away from the dock/mooring/boat ramp so your dad doesnt see you taking his boat. Then maybe I wasnt talking about them.
Old 05-06-2009, 11:13   #13

Boat: 1974 Columbia 41
Im 28 and my wife is 26 and we own a 41 foot sailboat all paid up. Not in perfect condition, but we are working hard to make her ready for blue water, though is fully functional and comfortable. Ive got to take a little offense at Jim King's earlier post implying that young people are mere babes that dont know squat and deserve to be mocked. I think it has more to do with the number of miles under your belt, training recieved, and motivation. An older person is not automatically experienced and a young person is not automatically inexperienced. Lets treat each other with respect and not make hasty judgements.
stoupidmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2009, 11:44   #14
CF Adviser
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 380, now sold
We welcome boaters of all ages, nationalities, and persuasions here, and it doesn't matter how one expresses oneself.

We do insist on maintaining a polite and friendly atmosphere, however. Belittling comments are not welcome, reflect poorly on the poster, and tend to de-rail good discussions.
Old 08-06-2009, 01:49   #15

Boat: warwick 44
average age of boaties at the two clubs i am involved with would be 50+
boris is offline   Reply With Quote