Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Life Aboard a Boat > Liveaboard's Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 26-11-2015, 17:57   #61

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop
Re: Young(er) cruisers who sold everything

Young, old, now, later, big, small, fast or slow,
..... there is no right or wrong time to go!

Lovely little poem, Hudson!

I would also like to thank 4Arch for his comments. It is very difficult to take the "outsider" position in this world.

Neither being the outsider nor being a full time cruiser is not for everyone. Bulawayo wrote that you made weak excuses, with the implication that it was to yourselves. Be that as it may, you chose what you thought would be best for yourself and your family, and that's "good" in my book.
Old 26-11-2015, 18:00   #62

My poem I wrote while cruising at the end of the 20th century:

How simple, yet complex
The sailboat is
Each part essential
Time tested solutions
To the problems
Of how to go
From here to there
With wings of cloth
Flying through the air
Yet swimming too
With fins of metal
Across vast oceans blue
Touching and caressing
Each land
On our planet Earth
Afloat in a vast
Heavenly sea of stars
Men of all times
Looked to the heavens
to find their way
Knowing the signs
Placed skyward
To guide them
Over infinite waves
Disappearing into the horizon
Where all dreams lay
Now electrons too small
For senses to know
Carry the messages
From man made stars
Too insignificant to shine
A matrix of ideas
Dividing the earth
Into precise little squares
As addresses
In a metropolis
For all to know
With the need to go
From here to there
Sandero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-11-2015, 00:36   #63

Boat: Hunter 44ds

We both turned 30, sold everything, downsized, gave up the insanely expensive pacific heights apartment in San Francisco, and moved aboard.

We cast off in a year, and are saving up by living frugally and preparing ourselves and the boat.

We figure we can always get jobs, and we should take this chance to live our dream before we settle down (or never settle down?)

Our situation is straightforward though, we both have families to fallback on, a decent kitty, no kids, no debt, and we both work in-demand jobs. So we chose to go now!

Oh wouldn't you know it, we also have a blog/YouTube and all that. That's what we're supposed to do right?

Sail All Day

If you can do it, then go! Fair winds

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum

http://Sailallday.com
SailAllDay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2015, 04:08   #64

Boat: Lagoon 440 OV

We did it 2 years ago, had planned on doing it one day (never) and then life threw us a curve ball and suddenly the cruising door was opened. We stepped through it in a blur of OMG's and WTF's....

We sold the house, the business, the cars, my golf clubs, our beloved weekend motorboat, and bought a sailing boat.

All I can say is that this life is amazing but it is nothing like I / WE imagined it would be and at the end of the first year we very nearly jacked it all in as we were totally disillusioned, tired and burning money. But we stuck it out and the 2nd year was truly amazing.

I think the biggest mistake we made was making the change from land to sea really quickly and trying to take to much of our land life with us. We also had way to many guests out to stay in the first year and spent a lot of time chasing our tails trying to pick and drop off friends and family near airports. This is tiring, and expensive as bet your bottom dollar the wind will be all wrong so you will end up motoring and then having to tie up in a marina.

This last season we made a rule which was guests can choose the place, or the time but not both. If they want to come in that week, no problem we let them know where we will be a couple of weeks beforehand and if they want to sail in a specific location, no problem we will let them know a few weeks before we will be there.

We will also not guarantee getting close to the airport or even to the same island so suggest guest fly in during the morning so they have time to catch a ferry to us...

Trust me many will moan about the added costs to them, but my response it that they are coming onto a yacht, with a skipper (me) for a very cheap weeks sailing, so a little bit of added hassle is worth it.

Would I go back - no way. Will we have to go back, one day probably.

Tags
cruise, cruiser