Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Life Aboard a Boat > Liveaboard's Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-12-2015, 11:29   #1

Boat: 1995 Privilege 51
Closest Marina to Portland with > 65 Mast?

What is the closest marina I could get to Portland, Oregon (Lake Oswego in particular), with a catamaran with a mast height that is NOT ICW friendly? Or would I be limited to out by Astoria near the Pacific?

This is far fetched and unlikely scenario, but my current company corporate HQ is in Lake Oswego, and we are looking at living aboard a catamaran. I work remotely now, but who in the future, so just looking at options.

Thanks in advance,
~ Following Cs ~
FollowingCs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2015, 18:03   #2

Boat: Nordic 44
Re: Closest Marina to Portland with > 65 Mast?

FC,
We took delivery of Odyssey (mast 62') from Hayden Island and moored at Tomahawk Island for a month or two. The Interstate 205 bridge will be as far up the Columbia you will have access. Going down the Columbia , there is an operable rail bridge that took 30 minutes to traverse. Hayden and Tomahawk Is. have marinas, shoreside communities and floating home developments. The downside is PDX is a neighbor. The I-5 bridge is operable and is very close for 64', depends on pool and tide levels in the closed position.

The Willamette River would get you closer to Lake Oswego and make the surface commute reasonable. Not knowledgeable of bridge clearances on this channel.
Enjoyed our stay at Tomahawk and the liveaboard community there. We had different objectives.

Sounds like an interesting concep, good luck.
John

Sent from my HTC6500LVW using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
japarker11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2015, 06:31   #3

Boat: 1995 Privilege 51

Thanks John.

I think my best best is to just call around the marinas near Portland and ask. They would know if a non-ICW mast height can get to them from the Pacific or not. The Williamette does look to be the best commute if I had to. My secondary thought would be to stay out near Astoria and commute 1 or 2 days a week and work from the boat the rest of the week. This 'should' work out if need be.

We'd much prefer to be on the east coast, and work from the boat full time, just not sure if corporate is prepared for that. May be job seeking in the future anyways. Maybe a Manhattan or DC or Baltimore.

~ Following Cs ~
FollowingCs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2015, 07:37   #4

Boat: Selene 47

Fc,

I'm moored on Hayden Island and several tall mast Sailboats are at Salpare bay as well as Tomahawk. As noted above, you are somewhat restricted up river of the interstate 5. Plenty of available slips in many of the marinas surrounding the Island. And the slip rates are some of the cheapest on the entire west coast. And it's fresh water.
The only drawback to the Area is the noise from aircraft because we're under the flight path of the airport.
The tax advantage of Oregon are hard to beat. Lots of Marinas downstream also. Wind and current effects in the Astoria area need to be takin into account.
Good luck on your decision.
John
Mvpairadice.blogspot.com
CrustyChief is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
mast, portland