Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Life Aboard a Boat > Liveaboard's Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-01-2023, 20:01   #16

Boat: Beebe Passagemaker 50'
Re: Who is using an electric blanket?

Quote:
Originally Posted by NSboatman View Post
+1 for the electric mattress pad. It’s a game changer. Seriously.
Once you’ve tried it, you won’t go back.

Actually, we've tried an electric mattress pad, . . . . and we went back to an electric blanket. Maybe it was just the brand we had, but it was . . . well, pretty anemic. Would barely get lukewarm. Whereas our electric blanket . . . well, that's another story. We turn it on 20 minutes or so before we go to bed, and it's nice and toasty! Of course, the three cats have figured that out as well, and we have gently displace them before getting into bed, so as to prevent being punctured!
BlueH2Obound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2023, 20:02   #17
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Woods Vardo 34 Cat

So the mattress warmer goes under the cushions?
Boatguy30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2023, 21:14   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boatguy30 View Post
A mattress pad goes on top of the mattress, and under you.
SailingHarmonie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2023, 14:06   #19

Boat: Compromis 888 (29ft)

We have a ‘mattrass pad’ on board also. It is a 230V model (the blanked itself is low voltage DC of course), so can be used when we are hooked to shorepower only. But what a treat on a cold night. Even with the boat heater on all night the bed can be quite chilly. Absolutely recommended!
Old 12-01-2023, 15:08   #20

Boat: 50ft Custom Fast Catamaran

It’s about to go down to 40 here in Florida.

High only in the 50s during the day.

Very excited about my electric blanket.
Chotu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-01-2023, 06:02   #21

I found a line designed for home use that converts mains power to 16-18Vdc for safety, but also very energy efficient.

Unfortunately discontinued manufacture so have price alerts set for remaining NOS sales.

Use cloth-adhesive tape to bond to underquilt blanket material for both comfort and durability, use them with hammocks as well as sleeping mats running off a battery bank.

Have slept in a snowstorm, woke up with inches accumulated all around, but a big oval of bare ground under and around me.

Heating the airspace and walls all night is very wasteful, even in a S&B home.
PaulCrawhorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-01-2023, 07:07   #22

Boat: 2013 Nautitech 542

The BEST thing for warming a bed is a rice-bag. It’s simply a small cotton bag filled with 1-3 lbs of uncooked rice. Pop the bag in the microwave for a couple minutes and then toss it under the sheets for the best warm bed ever.

Also good as a source of warmth whenever you’re chilled.
gsuescum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-01-2023, 07:37   #23

Exclamation Re: Who is using an electric blanket?

Three or 4 years ago I did the Ten Tom Waterway in winter from the start in Tennessee to Mobile Bay. I was in the V Berth and it was cold at night. I would put the electric blanket on top of sheets and a blanket. Then I would sleep on top with a sheet and warm blanket over me. About 30 minutes before bed I would crank it up till my bunk was actually hot. Then climb in. It worked great. Due to a small battery system the heater in the boat was turned off. I would great. The only problem was getting out of bed into high 30 or low 40 cabin. Brrrr!
Happ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-01-2023, 09:10   #24

Boat: Bruce Roberts 44 Ofshore

i lived aboard a 27 foot sloop for several years and had only a 1kw space heater for heat, and my electric blanky for sleeping. My electric, under an unzipped rectangle sleeping bag in lieu of a comforter, kept me sleeping comfortably even down to freezing, which is rare in New Orleans but does occur typically once or twice a year. I never tried a DC blanket but at sea I could have used my inverter, as I had a 10.5 kwhr EP propulsion bank to draw from. But in my slip, yeah it was great, barely registered on my electric bill which was usually only the minimum $11+ or later, $13+. Only in summertime did I pay a premium, for using my air conditioner.

Tried using an electric blanket recently in the house. Mrs. Monster cocoons up in it and I barely get even a corner of it. I had hoped to be able to turn the thermostat down a bit using that for sleeping. I guess I would have to get a second one for my own use.
Old 23-01-2023, 09:53   #25

Boat: O'Day 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boatguy30 View Post
We're in very cold water and have the mattress heater underneath the foam mattress.
In warm weather we turn it on for a couple of hours in the morning to dry out the mattress and bedding.
In cold weather we turn it on before bed to have a warmish bed to get into and in really cold weather it stays on all night at a low setting.
Old 23-01-2023, 10:07   #26

Boat: Island Packet, Packet Cat 35

Living on the Columbia river in wintertime with temps in los 30's staying warm is a thing. I have a 12 v chinese diesel heater that keeps the side I live on and main cabin quite toasyt on my catamaran. However, diesel was running $6 per gallon. I bought an electric blanket and now turn off the diesel heater when going to bed. Keeps me plenty warm and a lot cheaper to operte plus I don't have to worry about filling fuel tank
Cpt Mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-01-2023, 10:20   #27

Boat: DeFever Passage Maker 34

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatpoker View Post
Got one of these rechargable heating pads, about two hours on high - too hot, about 4 hours on med - just right.

Got it for my chronic broken back pain but it certainly helps on a cold night or even a cold winter walk.
I have the same back issues. Found the one in your excellent photo, and have it on order. Many thanks.
skyline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-01-2023, 06:20   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chotu View Post
I got this one. No complaints. Not 12v

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B0133...b_b_asin_title

Chotu,

Glad it works for you. I use similar Sunbeam products at home, but the manual warns not to use it with an inverter, power bar, or extension cord. I tried it with my inverter and sure enough, it does not work, at least not with my inverter.

Nomad
Nomad57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-01-2023, 06:43   #29

Boat: Chris Craft 381 Catalina

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomad57 View Post
Chotu,

Glad it works for you. I use similar Sunbeam products at home, but the manual warns not to use it with an inverter, power bar, or extension cord. I tried it with my inverter and sure enough, it does not work, at least not with my inverter.

Nomad

Many electric blankets with electronic controllers won't work on a modified sine wave inverter or an inverter that's configured to go into a low power mode at idle. But on a pure sine wave inverter with no power saving mode (so it's producing a proper sine wave no matter how low the load gets) they work fine.
rslifkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-01-2023, 07:05   #30

Boat: 50ft Custom Fast Catamaran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomad57 View Post
Chotu,

Nomad
I’m guessing you might not have a pure sine inverter?

That was a must on my boat so that everything would work.
Chotu is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
electric