Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 30-05-2018, 18:54   #1

Electric Blanket on Modified Sine Wave Inverter

Getting into a cold bed at night can be discomforting, so why put up with it?

On our V-berth, a double blanket is out of the question, so we got our old queen where one side only worked, and cut out the inoperative side.

We sewed on some tapes to tie around the mattress and what we have in effect is a single blanket -- for my wife's side because she feels the cold shock more.

In any case, my bare feet touch her heated side and that's good enough for me.

Two single blankets won't suit because at the narrow end they would have to go one on top of the other, which may produce safety issues.

To power it, we use the house 1500 amp modified sine wave inverter. Blankets with electronic controls with fancy LED displays will probably NOT work with a MSW in our experience.

But a simple old fashioned on/off 1-2-3 mechanical controller should. It's not the heating elements which are the problem --but the controllers.

So, about 20 to 30 minutes before bedtime, I power up the inverter, and switch on the blanket. By bedtime it's warm, and we switch off it first then the inverter.

The blanket is about 60 watts, so it draws about 5 amps (the equivalent of
2 1/2 12-volt cabin lights before led came along). But since it's not on for the full hour, the total draw is a very manageable 1.6 - 2.5 amps. That's about 1 hour's worth of TV viewing for the battery bank.

How do we keep warm until bedtime in winter? -- our 2 kw planar diesel air heater. Love it, but that's another thread:
<a href="http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/f115/planar-heater-purchase-and-installation-later-163934.html">click here</a>

Being on a boat, doesn't mean sacrificing basic comforts.
starcruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-05-2018, 19:46   #2

Boat: Schucker mini-trawler
Send a message via AIM to janice142 Send a message via MSN to janice142 Send a message via Yahoo to janice142 Send a message via Skype™ to janice142
Re: Electric Blanket on Modified Sine Wave Inverter

Aboard Seaweed I opted for a 12volt electric blanket. It uses 35watts and runs for either 30 or 45 minutes, depending upon the setting I chose.

This article has details.

Janice142 article As Winter Approaches

You're correct about not sacrificing starcruiser... Decadence makes a world of difference. Enjoy, and happy cruising.
Old 30-05-2018, 20:02   #3

I use an electric mattress pad. Electric blankets lose much of their heat to the air, but the pad is insulated by the blankets (and bodies) on top. Once the mattress is warm, power use drops to almost nothing. On a very cold night, we leave it on all night and the batteries are none the worse to wear in the morning.
CarlF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-05-2018, 09:38   #4

Send a message via Yahoo to bvimatelot Send a message via Skype™ to bvimatelot

Crikey!! What amazing decadence!! And here's Me crawling out of my bunk with my thermal sleeping bag, crawling through the cockpit to get the propane bottle, warm it up between my thighs (still in sleeping bag) until gas will flow to make my morning cuppa...how the other half live eh?!!
bvimatelot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-05-2018, 10:38   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

Last Winer we got an electric “throw” cheap and use it with the inverter. It uses about 10 or 12 amps, I think.
Used it long enough to get South of the cold. This year Plan is to leave earlier and avoid the cold, last Winter wife wanted to not leave until after Christmas.
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-05-2018, 10:45   #6

Boat: 1969 Rhodes 28'

Heated motorcycle clothing is not very expensive and is efficient with 12 volts.
TreblePlink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-05-2018, 23:14   #7

Might be warm on the road, but don't fancy sleeping in motorcycle clothing.....heated or not!
starcruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2018, 02:52   #8

Boat: Island Packet 40

If you can put up with the smell and don't mind the odd flee a couple of decent sized dogs will do a pretty good job.
RaymondR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2018, 03:08   #9

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaymondR View Post
If you can put up with the smell and don't mind the odd flee a couple of decent sized dogs will do a pretty good job.
Have you a good source for marine quality 12 volt dogs?

Jim
Old 01-06-2018, 04:40   #10

Boat: Endeavourcat Sailcat 44

Be careful using an electric blanket or mattress pad on a modified sine wave inverter. I thought I had a simple 123 button control on one I bought, but it turned out it was solid state internally. I turned it on to warm up the bed and in 10 minutes the controller was a smoking pile of burnt plastic. I suspect I caught it just before it burst into open flames. I later found a warning in the fine print of the care instructions to never use it on a modified sine wave inverter. Of course those instructions we not anywhere on the package.
Captain Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2018, 06:04   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Bill View Post
Be careful using an electric blanket or mattress pad on a modified sine wave inverter. I thought I had a simple 123 button control on one I bought, but it turned out it was solid state internally. I turned it on to warm up the bed and in 10 minutes the controller was a smoking pile of burnt plastic. I suspect I caught it just before it burst into open flames. I later found a warning in the fine print of the care instructions to never use it on a modified sine wave inverter. Of course those instructions we not anywhere on the package.
As they're only around 60watts, just get the smallest sinewave inverter you can. I have a 150w one that runs on 12v and is sine wave for the car.
Fuss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2018, 13:15   #12
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

There are 12 volt models, sold for RV and long haul truckers, both blankets and mattress pads. That eliminates any inverter issues.
hellosailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2018, 14:50   #13

Boat: Endeavourcat Sailcat 44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuss View Post
As they're only around 60watts, just get the smallest sinewave inverter you can. I have a 150w one that runs on 12v and is sine wave for the car.
This is not problem anymore as I have retired and if the weather even hints at me needing an electric blanket I move south.
Captain Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2018, 16:15   #14
Writing Full-Time Since 2014

Boat: PDQ Altair, 32/34

I would chose 2 fleece blankets and a nice comforter over an electric blanket any day. Amps don't matter, cost does not matter, the blanlets and comforter are simply... more comfortable. And I cruise through sub-freezing conditions. They are also more adoptable to other uses around the boat, through the seasons (retained heat cooking comes to mind).

I'm sorry, but is is simply a zero-value gadget to me. I wouldn't have one at home either. I've tried them and don't like them. Strangely, I like the cold bed. It feels fresh, and it only stays cold for a few moments.
Old 01-06-2018, 16:25   #15

Boat: Hallberg-Rassy 49

Worth every penny. And won't set your boat on fire.

You can actually order one to fit your V-berth.

Tags
electric, inverter