Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Life Aboard a Boat > Liveaboard's Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 17-06-2017, 15:50   #1

Boat: Lagoon 420 Cat 42'
Which CatI& Year will replace my house.

OK Everyone. I see plenty of will this work and will that work request on this forum. I'm a land locked sailor looking to trade up from a 43' mono to a 40+ cat so that I can make the leap to permanent live aboard.

I love my mono and I could keep my house and live aboard the mono for a certain amount of time. However, If I am going to sell my house and move aboard for the rest of my life I need the Cat to provide the comfort of home.

My requirements are simple once we get past a the serviceability of the vessel.

1. Budget of 300k of less USD
2. Queen of better size master birth (wife and I need room)
3. Separate shower
4. Decent galley with good storage
5. Decent size fridge and freezer for 2 weeks supply runs
6. Comfortable salon
7. Dedicated nav station
8. Plenty of storage (I like everything stowed in its place. maybe a little OCD)
9. Space for washer/dryer
10. Air conditioning
11. Room for generator
12. I want some character too. Not all plastic.

So I'm basically I'm looking to find the models that suit our live-aboard accommodations and then I'll search to find ones that are mechanically sound and with the sailing setups that meet our need. First task is to find something we wont regret living in forst.

I'm looking for your experience with makes and models that make live-aboard life feel as comfortable as home. In my mono I always feel like I'm maneuvering around something, stepping over, or climbing.

I've been looking at the Leapord 43, lagoon 44 & 450, and fountain Pajot Belize 43 and storage looks ok but I think I may have to go slightly larger to get the open spaces I'm looking for.

What are your thoughts.
joesail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-06-2017, 19:16   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Lived aboard & cruised for 45 years,- now on a chair in my walk-in closet.
Boat: Morgan OI 413 1973 - Aythya
Re: Which CatI& Year will replace my house.

Quote:
Originally Posted by joesail View Post
............. but I think I may have to go slightly larger to get the open spaces I'm looking for.

What are your thoughts.
What's this "open space"? I didn't see that on your list. ...Ballroom dancing? Waltzing about out of reach of a hand rail?
Old 17-06-2017, 20:06   #3

No dancing. Just want to be able to move. On my mono no 2 people can move below at the same time. Need more than 2 feet of cabin sole
Old 18-06-2017, 04:51   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Lived aboard & cruised for 45 years,- now on a chair in my walk-in closet.
Boat: Morgan OI 413 1973 - Aythya

Quote:
Originally Posted by joesail View Post
No dancing. Just want to be able to move. On my mono no 2 people can move below at the same time. Need more than 2 feet of cabin sole
I understand,- 'sounds like a wise choice and not the attempt that many, new to the dream, look for by trying to replicate the space of a house in a boat. Of course you already have the monohull, so your coming from experience.
Old 18-06-2017, 10:08   #5

Boat: Wildcat 35, Hobie 33

In today's used Cat market there are a lot of boats that could meet your criteria.

The "character" requirement is of course not the strong suit of most modern cats in that price range.
belizesailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-06-2017, 10:54   #6

Anyone have long term experience with the lagoon 440 owners version. I spentered 8 days on a 450 and found it to be very comfortable but ieread that the 440 models actual had better layout and storage. The 450 is the only cat I've spent any length of time on so I do t have anything to compare too.
Old 18-06-2017, 11:07   #7

Boat: Wildcat 35, Hobie 33

Ive run the Lagoon 44 with owenr's cabin a number of times. Good boat and good layout in general, and there are some owners on here. Room for the amenities you want. I like the flybridge and I think most do, but not everyone.

Also recently ran a Leopard 47 with lots of amenities which was recently sold for $250K, that would also fullfil your list (though the washing machine install was a bit goofy in the stb fwd cabin). It has washing machine, gen set, full AC, ice maker, good sized fridge and seperate freezer, etc. Also a good boat, but I prefer the bridge deck clearance/tunnel of the Lagoons. However, guests really like the low transom area of the Leapord.
belizesailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-06-2017, 15:54   #8

Boat: Union cutter 33

I.d like to have ur boat you have now if i did i would be living aboard...
rosatte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-06-2017, 16:06   #9

Boat: Leopard 39

We have chartered a Leopard 444 multiple times and I like this boat a lot. Plenty of room, lots of storage space, easy entry/exit from the water, large galley area and sails well. One of the forward heads could be converted to a laundry room. Aft cabins are comfortable and spacious. I prefer the Leopard series of Cats because of the unobstructed cabin walk through and line of sight from the aft deck to the tramp. Forward sight lines from the helm are also excellent in the 444, not as good in the 400 and 390. Not as fast as the Lagoons but much more light inside, better layout IMO and you gotta love the front porch. Great place to watch the world at anchor with the breeze in your face and a cold rum drink at your side.
Nani Kai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-06-2017, 19:06   #10

Boat: CT 54... for our sins!

That front porch has always struck me as a great feature at anchor and not a problem for short hops between islands. I'd be worried doing ocean crossings.

www.windwanderer.weebly.com
VirtualVagabond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-06-2017, 23:59   #11

Boat: Montevideo 43

I know exactly what you are saying. I have a 43'. That means that a 26 ft Dean Cat is spacious. USD300k wil go quite a way. Not all you requirements may be met. Not sure if you are alone. If you have a wife.........six months later your Cat dance floor is filled.
Jannie Radiance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-06-2017, 03:53   #12

Boat: 45ft Ketch

1. Cruisers often say annual running cost is 10% of boat value.

2. If annual funding is limited then a mono is usually better value.

3. A lot of cruisers maintain their lifestyle by having a land based rental.
DumnMad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-06-2017, 11:55   #13

Yes. My wife and I don't dance but we might if we had more sole. Pun intended.
Old 19-06-2017, 12:04   #14

I could live aboard my mono if I had to. I know my wife though. I project she would last maybe 6 months before she would want a house to stretch out in. She iloves to sail but she doeant like to rough it in any way. My long term cruising plans depend on her happiness and comfort. I just have to come up with 300k I guess to live the long term dream in a cat.
Old 19-06-2017, 12:56   #15

Boat: Jeanneau 54 DS

I would look at the websites for Horizon, Moorings, Sunsail etc to get a used boat out of charter. They have been fully depreciated and you will get maximum bang for your $300k.
It will be up to the surveyor to help you assess how well used. if you buy in the BVI you will avoid the 5 - 6 % sales tax which is 10-15 k. I got my Jeanneau 54 DS for much less and could not be happier living in the BVI. Cheers and good luck.
bjymd is offline   Reply With Quote