Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Life Aboard a Boat > Liveaboard's Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 19-06-2017, 12:57   #16

Boat: Jeanneau 54 DS
Re: Which CatI& Year will replace my house.

I would look at the websites for Horizon, Moorings, Sunsail etc to get a used boat out of charter. They have been fully depreciated and you will get maximum bang for your $300k.
It will be up to the surveyor to help you assess how well used. if you buy in the BVI you will avoid the 5 - 6 % sales tax which is 10-15 k. I got my Jeanneau 54 DS for much less and could not be happier living in the BVI. Cheers and good luck.
bjymd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-06-2017, 13:13   #17

Boat: Hunnter Legend 37.5

Joe,

I am in a similar spot as you are. I have a monohull I love, but for long term cruising with my wife, a cat will be our next. I have sailed Leopard 48, leapord 46, FountAin pajot 50. I have been on a leopard 45, as well. The L45 was perfect. Protected helm on starboard side. Forward facing galley, tankage and storage equal to the 48, and plenty of holding tank, fuel, and water for more than two weeks. The FP have the winches separated from the cockpit so they are not reachable from the helm, so I ruled them out.

Ben
bensolomon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-06-2017, 13:16   #18

Boat: Hunnter Legend 37.5

I forgot to mention that if you're cruising the Caribbean, there are mornings bases everywhere to get the leopard serviced should it be necessary or spare parts.
bensolomon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-06-2017, 07:29   #19

Boat: Leopard 39

We were considering buying a 444 a few years ago and I talked with a Captain who had just delivered a brand new one to theBVI from m South Africa where they are built. He was very pleased with the way the boat performed and said it would be a good cruising boat if that was our intent. We've had the boat in moderate seas with big water over the fore deck and she behaved well. Don't know how she would handle Green water that dumped into the "porch" recess but that would be some pretty serious conditions.
Nani Kai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-06-2017, 09:28   #20

Boat: Lagoon 420 Cat 42'

Easy access to leopard service centers is something I hadn't considered. The L43 & 45 are looking better all the time.
joesail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-06-2017, 05:56   #21

Boat: Wildcat 35, Hobie 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by joesail View Post
Easy access to leopard service centers is something I hadn't considered. The L43 & 45 are looking better all the time.
While those in the charter biz are generally helpful, bear in mind that Moorings/Sunsail bases aren't in the business of being "service centers" for private boats.
belizesailor is offline   Reply With Quote