Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Life Aboard a Boat > Liveaboard's Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

View Poll Results: Are marinas and docks wheelchair accessible?
Yes, all of them and everywhere! 1 5.88%
No, never! 0 0%
Yes, but only in the USA. 0 0%
Sometimes, but usually no. 16 94.12%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 17. You may not vote on this poll

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 13-06-2022, 06:26   #16

Re: Wheelchair-bound and living-aboard, is it possible?

Bernard, as with many things related to living with a handicap, YES, your dream is achievable albeit more challenging. The boat you have selected is a good choice with fewer steps. If you have the upper body strength to handle your weight, then she can be fitted with bars etc to move around. Keep the chair in the cockpit either lashed and covered or in a lazarette. You can use the boom and/or a dinghy motor hoist to move it into docks. Not all docks around the world are wheelchair accessible, but the boating part you can manage. Note that the 41 is a pretty big boat... Feel free to PM me if you want to chat.
JEB
Jebtrois is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-06-2022, 06:29   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjn68 View Post
I am currently looking at possibly buying a Jeanneau Sun Odyssey 410, since she seems to have most of the features I need on a boat, such as single hand/self-handling capability, i.e., with furling mast, self-tacking jib, electric windlass, electric winches, all controlled from the helm/cockpit by one-person, walk-in access to side decks and to walk around the boat without crossing any steps, flush deck hatches, - and no or minimum steps or door sills in the cabin/galley, berthing.

I think I could live without my wheelchairs when on the boat: I believe that with some extra grab bars around the companionway, I should be able to get up and down between the cockpit and the cabin. I also think I should be able to hop on one foot very short distances once in the cabin; on the main deck, I would just drag my rear around...
We've chartered a 41' Sun Odyssey. It seems to me that the companionway ladder - getting in and out of the cabin - might be a significant obstacle, depending on your capabilities. Like the others, I think a cat would be easier to manage and get around on, but of course they're wider and more expensive.

Marinas are all over the map in terms of accessibility and obstacles, but depending on how outgoing you are: keep a fridge full of beer, radio ahead to the marina, and you might have a group of new friends who can assist or handbomb you over any obstacles.

[edit] and yes, if it's just you aboard, consider a smaller boat - eg 30' to 36'. Less expensive (in just about every way), so more money for adaptations, and easier to handle.

Best wishes and we hope you get your dream.
Lake-Effect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-06-2022, 07:56   #18

Boat: Catalina 320

My wife narrowly avoided amputation of right leg below the knee due to traumatic injury so we spent some time dealing with obstacles most don't recognize.
The security gates are a pain I don't have an answer for. The ramp is best approached on a high tide, anything else is dangerously steep.
Getting onboard from side she'd sit on the deck then swing around and hand walk/drag herself into cockpit. We took some quads sailing by backing to dock with open transom, removing wheel and carrying them aboard. Took us a couple days to practice and still not ideal.
We'd intended getting a bigger boat but when we went abroad she couldn't deal with the smaller, steeper companionway stairs and a counter too close. Never even tried getting the chair abroad.
I've had smaller boats that seemed more ergonomically suitable to moving around with upper body, like a Capri 26 or Catalina 270. Lot less distance between stuff.
Calif.Ted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-06-2022, 08:35   #19

Boat: Tayana Vancouver 42
Wheelchair-bound and living-aboard, is it possible?

First, thank you for your military service. You and every vet deserve our gratitude and any support we can give.

The book Fore and Aft mentioned above is

https://www.amazon.com/Ocean-Cross-D.../dp/0071355049

Truly inspiring for all sailors and may give you some insights to what they adapted. Of course your abilities are not the same as theirs but these two paraplegic people built their boat and sailed from South Africa to America. They describe sail handling, dragging themselves around on deck and below without chairs and dealing with such issues as using the head in rough conditions.

I wish you success in fulfilling your quest to sail far and wide. Clearly, you have no disability of mind or spirit.
Tayana42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-06-2022, 10:56   #20

Boat: Leopard 48' Cat

I suggest you contact Deborah Mellen. The wheelchair bound owner of Impossible dream.
She can inform you of all the features of her boat that made it possible for the prior owner to sail trans Atlantic solo.
Possibly some of these features can be added to any boat you purchase.
Good luck and fair winds.
Prior post has her email.
Starblossom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-06-2022, 12:33   #21

Boat: Prout Event 34

Yes it is possible. A friend did it. He was one of the leaders with shake-a-leg.
A floating dock is a big help. So are wide side decks. He had a monohull, installed a chairlift to get below. Hope you do it.
john2445 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-06-2022, 16:15   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by john2445 View Post
Yes it is possible. A friend did it. He was one of the leaders with shake-a-leg.
A floating dock is a big help. So are wide side decks. He had a monohull, installed a chairlift to get below. Hope you do it.

Thank you about mentioning the floating dock while in a marina; of course, the rams won't be too steep there.

How did you installed a chairlift to get below? What type?

Right now, I honestly don't think I will need a chair lift to get below, just maybe a custom pulley system attached to a Bosun's chair.

I already made myself (based on a small office chair) (email me at bjn68@yahoo.com and I can send you a photo of it) a small narrow wheelchair that I could leave all the time in the cabin. In the cockpit, I could use the regular seats.

It's just when I will need to go ashore that I will need my regular wheelchairs.
bjn68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-06-2022, 17:04   #23

Boat: Homebuilt schooner 64 ft. Sold.

My only suggestion would be to find a sailing partner for a myriad of reasons. Safety being at the top of the list.
captlloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-06-2022, 17:08   #24

Boat: Chris Craft 381 Catalina

Quote:
Originally Posted by captlloyd View Post
My only suggestion would be to find a sailing partner for a myriad of reasons. Safety being at the top of the list.
I would tend to agree. This whole idea is definitely possible, but not going to be easy. Having a second person on board will make some things easier and safer, but may also allow you to go more places (including ones with less optimal dock arrangements where getting on and off the boat will be more challenging).
rslifkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-06-2022, 20:33   #25

Boat: EDELCAT33

As you mentioned you are on a budget,
Is you do not want to build a plywood catamaran modified to be all in one level surface and a cuddy cabin for easy acces - plywood and epoxy is going to be much cheaper than an used monohull of the length you are looking.

I see my EDELCAT33 and is demountable so in theory you can modify it to be all same level and have access to pass in either side while being safe. The rest is to have a modified ramp to access docks or even your own dinghy.
carlosproa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-06-2022, 05:05   #26

Boat: 1968 Columbia 50

Definitely possible, and doable. it takes adapting, persistence, and a great mental outlook, but it can be done, and done well.

A friend of many on the Eastern US seaboard, Cliff Kyle, did what you are thinking of doing, for many years. His positivity was infectious, and thusly, people would join in on projects that he could not do, or needed a hand doing.

Here is just one story about him from a few years ago:
https://towndock.net/shippingnews/abby-normal

Here is a link to his FB page, just read his posts, and people commenting years after he passed..he was beloved by many.

https://www.facebook.com/cliff.kyle.3
Old 14-06-2022, 15:17   #27

Boat: 1962 Columbia 29 MK 1 #37

I could be wrong but I think Bernard is hoping for specific answers to the questions he posted.
1962 Columbia 29 MKI #37
Don C L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-06-2022, 16:30   #28

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

Hello, Bernard,

I'll take a stab at your question about stowing the land wheelchair. I was thinking you could modify a car top carrier and have it on the cabin top with its opening facing outboard. Then you could get out of the chair, and put it in. The cartop carrier would have to be secured permanently to the cabin top (through bolted), and you would want to make sure the opening was waterproof (perhaps a tarp over all), as well. If it has batteries, you'd probably want to stow them below, low in the boat, but in a dry location. [Boats sometimes discover new ways to leak on you -- we had an under-the-hatch-frame leak open on a mid hatch mid passage, once.]

Something you may not yet have thought of is something like a seatbelt or a net, to keep you in your berth when/if your boat suffers a knockdown or a rolldown or even (we hope not) a rollover. Not only yourself, but all your stores and all your batteries should should be protected against such events, to prevent your getting beaned by a toolbox's contents, or some such.

Good luck with your efforts. It isn't going to be easy, but I think you knew that already; and some parts of the journey will be most rewarding. Just keep on top of the 6 P's.

Ann
Old 15-06-2022, 11:22   #29

Boat: Prout Event 34

Sorry, a couple of misunderstandings. This was a friend, not me. When I said "chair lift" it wasn't for his wheelchair. That wasn't used aboard. I think the wheelchair folded to get in car and on boat. The chair lift was a seat he could ride up and down the companionway. If yours is vertical enough a bosuns chair would be simpler.

He had all his limbs, just that his legs didn't work. He sat on his ass and dragged himself backwards all over the boat. Hence the wide decks.

Best wishes.
john2445 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-06-2022, 11:43   #30

Hi John2445!

Thank you for the message. My wheelchairs fold too. I am probably somewhat in the same situation as your friend. I have one leg missing (amputee way above the knee), my other leg is my "bad leg". I can hop on it for a few seconds or stand on it for a few minutes, that's it. I was told that the companionway' slope on the Jeanneau SO 410 (still the boat #1 on my wish list - she has wide decks with everything flush and no obstruction) is about 40 degrees, therefore I think that I should be able to use it on my rear, the same way I go up and down stairs right now.

I don't plan to actually use my wheelchairs while on the boat, just when transferring to a dock and when ashore. I still didn't find a ramp (to use between the boat and a dock) wide enough to be wheelchair friendly (at least 36" wide), strong enough to support 300 lbs, water/rust/weather resistant, and light enough so I can carry and move it by myself (I have spinal and a left shoulder injuries too that prevent me to carry anything heavy...).

As someone else suggested it, I am looking to see if a car roof cargo box (Thule style) could be secured somewhere on the weather deck (easy access) wherein I could stow my [folded] wheelchair once I am on the boat and don't need it.

Thank you for the ideas and information.
Have a great rest of the day.
V/r,

Bernard
bjn68 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
wheel