Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Life Aboard a Boat > Liveaboard's Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 27-03-2016, 09:00   #31

Boat: Bristol 35.5 1978
Re: What's the best boat you've ever owned?

Have owned 2 boats, a Catalina 27 and now 1978 Bristol 35.5...love the Bristol as has been noted by previous responses...solidly built, w/ centerbrd up draws only 3'10"...sails very well altho a bit of a challenge going to windward...but still learning about her as this is year 2 of ownership. Felt completely secure when single-handing her in small craft advisories last season on long island sound.
thnks
dave
PS Planning on sailing to 50th Bristol reunion in Rhode Islnd this June
Hoodsail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-03-2016, 17:31   #32

Boat: Perry 47 Ketch 1981
Send a message via Skype™ to surazo

Indeed ,every of us have their own needs but after a 40' wooden boat and a Van Destatd 54 ,finally get a Perry 47 ,center cockpit .ketch .It have sailing around the world two times and at present Im restoring for another voyage .Really must be considerer in an boat election .Several of the sailboat mentionedpreviosly have been design by Bob Perry under the Perry concept .Take in account .Regards
surazo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-03-2016, 23:49   #33

Thanks to all of you for your replies!

You've all offer some great stuff for me to look into and consider it is much appreciated!

Zephyrcat229 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-03-2016, 06:48   #34

Boat: Oday 25

I've had 9 boats.
Best all around one, if you want to travel, was an Ericson 35. Had wonderful interior arrangement that was very easy to use, including a great shower stall. Was a bit short on storage cabinets for long trips but had no other vices. Sailed well in all conditions. Quite fast also. The only change I would have made was a slightly larger engine as the 24 HP Universal was just not enough when punching into higher wind and slop. Speed dropped down to 3K or less when the going got rough under engine. With an autopilot and Dutchman main system, it could easily be single handed. It's old age and $ that keep my current boat down to 25' or less.
ebsail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-03-2016, 23:02   #35

Boat: Currently Shopping, & Heavily in LUST!

I had a recent event jog my memory, regarding methods for contacting owners:
If a boat's truly of interest, then send the owner's a note/contract request via the marina office. So that then the owner can decide if they are up for chatting with you.
It's a way to pretty definitively ensure that your message gets to them. And a few people have used said method to reach me, over the years.

So, it's fairly failsafe.

The Uncommon Thing, The Hard Thing, The Important Thing (in Life): Making Promises to Yourself, And Keeping Them.
UNCIVILIZED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-05-2016, 10:45   #36

Boat: 81 Hunter Cherubini 27

OK, Don't hate on me for this one (I'm a power to sail convert...praise the Lord and pass the plate...to me!) 1965 NJ Eastern Sea Skiff...and old Clinker built power boat that I literally bought off the bottom of Willoughby Bay in Norfolk, Va way back in 1988. Raised and restored her. Named her "Handyman's Nightmare". That boat got me back into boating. Next boat, a 1950's 40-foot Matthews power cruiser that I bought for $500, live on for 3-months doing a lot of work and sold her for a bit more than $6000 (for a young kid in the US Navy that was a Sh#tload of money. Then, bought my first sailboat....O'Day 21. What a lovely little beginner boat...still my favorite sailboat even after I upgraded to a Columbia 27. The C27 was nice, but was a bit more than I needed and the wife hated it....Although the ex-wife apparently adored it during the divorce (I got to keep the O'Day). Waiting on a survey for an 81 Hunter Cherubini 27....somehow I feel that the two of us will be a good fit. So, for now....favorite sailboat, 21' O'Day.
Teknishn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-05-2016, 10:57   #37
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Lived aboard & cruised for 45 years,- now on a chair in my walk-in closet.
Boat: Morgan OI 413 1973 - Aythya

Early in this thread I mentioned my "best boat" as my foot long wooden toy that I pulled by a string when I was six, but I should list my best big boy boat.

I've lived on three boats, the first for one year and the second for 13 years, but my Morgan 41 ketch has been my home for 31 years and is definitely my best.

Old 01-11-2016, 22:44   #38

Boat: Currently Shopping, & Heavily in LUST!

Guys, this one's old, I know. But in that it seems like a lot of folks new to sailing/boat ownership are asking the question of "what boat should I buy", more, & more of late. I thought that reviving this would perhaps help a few of them. Since it's tough to figure out what you really want in a boat (& don't) until you've owned a few. Understandably so. Thus this thread's reanimation.

Plus it's always fun to hear what people love boat wise. So have at it. Again

The Uncommon Thing, The Hard Thing, The Important Thing (in Life): Making Promises to Yourself, And Keeping Them.
UNCIVILIZED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2016, 06:01   #39

Boat: a sailing boat

Yeah ...

Boats I cannot afford but I do dig. So, what is the best boat I have not owned?

Well.

Our neighbour now could be one: an alloy copy of an early IMOCA (very much like of Aquitaine Innovations, think 1995) built into be a cruising dream machine and now owned by an Australian couple taking her to the Pacific and back home to the downunder.

I can't take a pic as it is a private and inhabited boat but it looks very much like this. (attachment)

I may grab the opportunity and look at her up close and catch a glimpse inside hopefully too. I will report again if this happens.

I know that one of the mods is the keel blade that is shorter and beefier. Also her rig is not an outrigged one but rather plain vanilla spreader layout.

Have a fine day,
b.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	dream_boat.jpg
Views:	379
Size:	112.9 KB
ID:	134674  
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2016, 06:14   #40
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: What's the best boat you've ever owned?

Whereas I go in the opposite direction to Barni.. this would be my Euro Millions custom built boat..
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	4779287_20140806053447483_1_XLARGE.jpg
Views:	196
Size:	167.3 KB
ID:	134676   Click image for larger version

Name:	4779287_20140806053439394_1_XLARGE.jpg
Views:	171
Size:	138.7 KB
ID:	134677  

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
boatman61 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2016, 06:58   #41

Boat: a sailing boat

Looks a Cheoy Lee. 48 perhaps?

A beauty!

I agree, dream BIG!

b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2016, 07:49   #42
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41

my best small sloop was a 26 islander. 1979 build
my best 35 ft sloop was my ericson 35mII. 1979 build
my best powerboat was--oops i had 2--h ah aha chris craft commander 38, and a chris craft cavalier 35. both awesome. 1968, 1965, respectively.
my best cruising boat is the one in which i am currently cruising, formosa 41 yankee clipper. 1976 build.
my favorite sailing boat is one i did not own( my uncle--now his daughters own it)...1903 clinton crane designed raceabout, currently undergoing restoration in the hudson river valley, in the sleepy hollow area. .

boaty that looks like a fuji and is goooorgeous!
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2016, 08:00   #43

Boat: Cheoy Lee Offshore 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatman61 View Post
Whereas I go in the opposite direction to Barni.. this would be my Euro Millions custom built boat..
Sexy boat Boatie!