Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Life Aboard a Boat > Liveaboard's Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-11-2007, 10:02   #1

Boat: Spencer 53 (Amazing Grace)
Question What do YOU do when it rains?

So an old friend came by the marina the other day who had not seen the boat yet and we talked at length catching up on the last ten years and wouldn't you know the "what do you do when it rains?" question gets asked right as he's leaving. I am now convinced that EVERY live aboard gets asked this question. Would you not figure that a boat would keep water out and not in? Just seems like the most common question for some reason.
spencer53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2007, 10:10   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Research vessel for a university, retired now.
I do what every normal person does when it rains...I strip off my clothes and go for a bike ride.

Life begins where land ends.
David M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2007, 10:13   #3

Way to funny!!
Old 11-11-2007, 12:21   #4
Senior Cruiser

Boat: 1980 Endeavour 43 (Ketch)
I would think that, depending on Latitude, you might just do that David. And, if you are out cruising, it is certainly a good time to shower, collect water, wash (clothing, boat, whatever), and then there is the ever popular --- snuggle with your main squeeze!
S/V Elusive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2007, 12:23   #5
Senior Cruiser

Boat: 1980 Endeavour 43 (Ketch)
BTW - yesterday, on my way to walking down to Margaritaville and took a side trip onto the public docks and out to the side finger next to those three fishing boat and oogled across at your boat - Amazing Grace. Nice!!!
S/V Elusive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2007, 12:56   #6

We have five leaks that I'm aware of:

- Butterfly hatch. In the forward section, some water drips through. I have some tape over the place where I know the water comes in, so no problems there.
- Forward hatch. No idea where this one comes from; my guess is a joint somewhere (not really the hatch).
- Mast step. Won't be able to address this till spring.
- Chainplates, starboard.
- Chainplates, port.

In a light drizzle, none of them are that bad. But if it's pouring for hours / days, then it becomes a little more tricky. If you have some tape and plastic, it's really worth taping over the leaks on the exterior. It looks like crap, but it's better than a wet boat.

I've managed to fix a lot of my leaks (had way more than the above list when I bought the boat), and it's really a great place to invest some time and money, because a wet boat really sucks.
rebel heart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2007, 17:18   #7

Boat: Dragonfly 1000 trimaran
Rebel Heart,

Back in the 80's and 90's we had a Lord Nelson 35 which is an offshoot of a Hans 33.
We had some leaks which seemed to take forever to find. They turned out to be in the INSIDE of the dorade boxes! The boxes are glassed onto the hull, but after the hull comes out of the mold.

The area where the box is mounted was routed through the gelcoat, and then the box was mounted. The gelcoat was filled on the outside but NOT on the inside. Rain or seas if driven into the dorade vent went into the hull and found its way inside the boat.
When I think about the fix, I can still feel the bruises in my forearm from finagling 3m5200 ing into those edges inside the dorade boxes even though it was ten years ago!

Just a thought.

Steve B.
senormechanico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2007, 18:11   #8

Things like that scare me so much. My technique for finding these remaining leaks (not so much the chain plates, because those make sense) is to take some plastic of where I *think* the leak is coming from. If it rains, and the plastic stopped the leak, then I'm pretty comfy the area under the plastic contains the hole.

That dorade box thing souds like a nightmare. My friend on a 40' Mariner had something like that. The water worked its way through about 10' of plywood before it got to the opening in the cabin. Drove him nuts for nearly a year.
rebel heart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2007, 21:21   #9

Boat: Dragonfly 1000 trimaran
rebel heart,

It's easy enough to test it. Put a plastic bag over the dorades for a day or so when it's raining.

Steve B.
senormechanico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-11-2007, 11:20   #10

Boat: S/V Nisus 36' Bayfield
When I first moved on board I used to worry everytime it rained and then one day it dawned on me--it's a BOAT!! It's suppose to get wet!! DUH!!
Now I say, the best time to liveaboard is when it's raining and the worse time to liveaboard is when it's raining.
The best is when you wake up and hear the rain on the hatches and don't have to get out of your berth or off the boat.
And the worse is when you wake up and hear the rain on the hatches and know you have to get up, get dressed and then have to leave the boat in the rain.
svnisus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-11-2007, 12:18   #11

Boat: Sceptre 41
Here is a good way to find leaks

Funny Stuff

Charlie

Between us there was, as I have already said somewhere, the bond of the sea. Besides holding our hearts together through long periods of separation, it had the effect of making us tolerant of each other's yarns -- and even convictions. Heart of Darkness
Joseph Conrad
Charlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-11-2007, 17:19   #12

Clever

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie View Post
Here is a good way to find leaks

Funny Stuff

Shoot, I would think that would make the boat watertight AND airtight!
Old 13-11-2007, 19:07   #13

Boat: No boat now. Wish I was still being paid to sail but she won't let me.
The Engineer would chase leaks the rest of the crew stood on deck and took showers and most of the time the paggengers would hide below.
Keeping in mind this was a sail/dive boat I never understood why the pax would run from the rain, even when they just got out from a dive!!!
Old 13-11-2007, 19:34   #14

Boat: Lancer 44 Motorsailer
Quote:
Originally Posted by spencer53 View Post
So an old friend came by the marina the other day who had not seen the boat yet and we talked at length catching up on the last ten years and wouldn't you know the "what do you do when it rains?" question gets asked right as he's leaving. I am now convinced that EVERY live aboard gets asked this question. Would you not figure that a boat would keep water out and not in? Just seems like the most common question for some reason.
Rain. In the PNW if you spend any time cruising between Sept and May you have to learn to enjoy it. Dry on the inside and wet on the outside. I don't have to go outside. If I do, then that is what rain gear is for. I have spent a lot of time dressed in rain gear. Love it. Living in a desert climate a good portion of the year makes me appreciate the rain when I am back home.
Old 13-11-2007, 23:20   #15

Great question.. I actually thought that all boats melted and the owner had to purchase another one before it rained again.. Please verify or deny this before I purchase my boat. Thanks.. LOL (just kidding) I actually can't believe that people do ask that question.. people amaze me everyday!?!?!
shadow is offline   Reply With Quote