Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-02-2016, 17:40   #1

Very curious...

Hey guys and gals,
I am in the about to stage of looking for a 26-47 ft boat to live aboard and hopefully travel the Greater Loop and the Caribbean on. I really like the diesel engine boats,(being an ex truck driver for the past 30 years) but at the same time I like outboard engines. I've thought about getting a shallow draft twin keel sailboat and putting one or two electric engines on the back and also a 150 hp outboard as backup plus the sails. I've never sailed or even been on the ocean for more than a few hours in a decent sized boat. I don't mind learning to sail but I want to be able to get to safety should the weather go to getting a bit nasty. I've also thought of a sailboat and putting outboards on the back maybe 200-300hp but most sailors get nervous when the boat gets upwards of 15 knots. I've also been looking at single engine boats but if something happens to the engine out to sea I'm stuck. I know a lot of the Greater Loopers are on single engine boats but like I said I'd like to travel as far as Puerto Rico. Is it safe to do so on a single engine boat say like a trawler. I know some or most say they are for long distance cruising but the single engine and speed thing bothers me. I'm not wealthy or have a bit of money as I'm on disability.
Any insight you have to share would be greatly appreciated, Thankz.
Johnyo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2016, 17:46   #2

Re: Very curious...

SA troll?

Great question, though.
Catalina 34 #224 (1986) C34IA Secretary
Cowichan Bay, BC, SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)
Stu Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2016, 18:03   #3

I'm a bit lost... What does SA Troll mean?
Old 02-02-2016, 18:16   #4

Boat: 78 Pearson323 Four Winds

John, sometimes experienced cruisers have forgotten they once lacked that experience, as you do currently.

SA is another forum that delights in coming here posting as a new sailor and asking apparently uninformed questions. Just to see if they can fool anyone into believing they are for real. Trolling for entertainment if you will.

To address just one of your ideas, for example, you can't put 300 ponies on a sailboat and go fast. Doesn't work like that.

If you're a troll, then you just scored a win at my expense. Big deal.
Old 02-02-2016, 18:27   #5
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

Johnny, the only flaw in your plan is the need for a power source that can power your electric motors for 48 hours straight, making way against storm winds and waters. That's the typical fuel requirement for boats in offshore events.

A small strontium pile (the USSR mislaid about 2000 of them, used to power remote aeronautical beacons and such), an infinite-point source, or a very large diesel generator and fuel tank might fit the bill.

Like an 18-wheeler with gingerbread doors, there are reasons why things just ain't done that way.
hellosailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2016, 18:29   #6

Thank you for the clarification. I'm not a troll at least I hope not. I've seen where some are putting electric or solar powered motors on but they are not very fast I think about 12 knots mostly. Do you know much about Trawlers. I can only find so much info on them and when I google specifications on them I end up running in circles.
Old 02-02-2016, 18:41   #7

Twelve knots is actually pretty fast, for most sailboats and trawlers as well. They are both displacement hulls. You stated 26-47 feet. So the mid range of that, 35 feet, would have a hull speed limit of around 8 knots. They won't go much faster no matter the extra power applied, the stern will just squat. Fuel wasted and bellows of black smoke out the back.

On what I believe your livaboard budget would be a displacement hull is the only viable hull type for you.

Cruising at 6-8 knots will get you anywhere you want to go.

Your concern for engine redundancy may fade as you learn more about cruising.
Old 02-02-2016, 18:43   #8

Thank You for the reply HelloSailor.
I'm a work in progress. The only ocean fairing boat I've been on was a long time ago 20 years or so in California. I went offshore fishing with my Grandparents,we were on a 50 Viking. I was so amazed and since then have always wanted one but that is just a dream.
Old 02-02-2016, 18:46   #9

Boat: Privilege 39 Catamaran, Exit Only

My favorite trawler is a catamaran that has two diesels. No heeling, and it also does a good job of sailing. I always turned on one engine when the speed dropped below four knots. That's the trawler side of me at work.
maxingout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2016, 18:59   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnyo View Post
Thank You for the reply HelloSailor.
I'm a work in progress. The only ocean fairing boat I've been on was a long time ago 20 years or so in California. I went offshore fishing with my Grandparents,we were on a 50 Viking. I was so amazed and since then have always wanted one but that is just a dream.
Did he mention how much fuel it took to take that bad boy offshore that day?

Helped deliver a 42' M/V with two big Cats from Tampa to Mobile. Nice ride, 27 knot tops and cruised at 18 knots. Fuel bill was around $4000.
Old 02-02-2016, 19:10   #11

Thanks Fourwinds, I'll be looking more into the Trawlers now. I'll just have to keep a keener eye on the weather when I get out in the Gulf. Newer and more modern equipment should make decisions a bit simpler. I'm not wanting to run balls to the wall as I'll usually be single engine cruising most of the time anyway. But getting to an island before dark, I know. Planning. Thank you .
Old 02-02-2016, 19:14   #12

Maxingout,
Thanks for the response. I'd love to have a cat or a trimaran but not on my bugget. They are beautiful for sure.
Old 02-02-2016, 19:23   #13

I never even thought to ask back then. I was just blown away. That cost would take at least 5 months to save up for me. I'm single with only a few bills that will be paid off in a few months,July to be exact. I'll have about a $1000 a month to work with then.
Old 02-02-2016, 19:29   #14

One can have a good life on the water for a grand a month. I do on less.

I see you in a classic older trawler one day.

This one would make a great looper boat. Certainly coastal US, too. Maybe Bahamas and Carribean as well but not sure about that.

1973 Grand Banks Trawler Power Boat For Sale - www.yachtworld.com
Old 02-02-2016, 22:59   #15

Thanks for the reference to 1973 Grand Banks.It is a beauty and thanks for reminding me about YachtWorld. I'd forgotten about looking for awhile.I've been checking out the boats on Boats.com and ebay and a couple others too. 49,000 is out of my price range for now. I've been looking for a boat in the range of 12000-22000. Don't want to spend all my money to buy the boat and not be able to repair what needs she has. And I'm real leery about buying a wood boat. I'm almost done repairing and remodeling a 17 footer with floor damage so I get to replace the runners and seal them better than before and fiberglass the newly replaced floor. Now I just have to replace the seat and front cushions and replace the controls cables and finish up the motor rebuild and she is done.The motor is a 85 hp Mercury. If it was a cuddy cabin type I'd try her out on the Great Loop but I think she a bit small for the eastern coastline or gulf part. But then again I don't know. I know some 24 footers have done it no problem.
Thank You again for all your input and advice. I hope we do meet out there some day I'll buy you a beer or drink of Rum.