Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Life Aboard a Boat > Liveaboard's Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-09-2020, 02:09   #61

Location: Aground in the Yorkshire Dales, awaiting a very high tide.
Re: Using a generator while on the hook?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mitiempo View Post
I remember reading about someone who did that in the Bahamas a few years ago. When morning came they found the generator quiet as it had been sabotaged.
A similar fate befell the one in Greece - not at my hand I hasten to add. I believe it was found one morning to have inexplicably 'fallen' out of his dinghy during the night.
Old 03-09-2020, 02:27   #62

Boat: Milkraft 60 ex trawler

We have a genset but rarely need to use it due to large solar array.

If we do need to use it the most annoying sound is the splosh of water from the exhaust, you can't actually hear the 7.5kva genset

Because the boat was well thought out and has plenty of overhangs and ventilation, we have no air con or want for want for air con even though we are usually based on the same latitude as Florida, now we are even closer to the equator, still no need for a/c.
Simi 60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2020, 04:34   #63

Quote:
Originally Posted by David B View Post
Depending on the installation. With most these days, the cooling water is discharged below the waterline, and if the syphon break is the version without a telltale, then there is no water from that either.

Those are the ones you don't notice and curse - perhaps there are too many archaic generators set ups around?
chasfgr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2020, 21:07   #64

Boat: Beneteau, Oceanis 50 G5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simi 60 View Post
We have a genset but rarely need to use it due to large solar array.

If we do need to use it the most annoying sound is the splosh of water from the exhaust, you can't actually hear the 7.5kva genset

Because the boat was well thought out and has plenty of overhangs and ventilation, we have no air con or want for want for air con even though we are usually based on the same latitude as Florida, now we are even closer to the equator, still no need for a/c.
All you need do is install a water trap with the water discharged below the waterline. Very quick and simple.
David B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2020, 21:10   #65

Boat: Beneteau, Oceanis 50 G5

Quote:
Originally Posted by chasfgr View Post
Those are the ones you don't notice and curse - perhaps there are too many archaic generators set ups around?
I would say so, but not hard (or expensive) to change the exhaust to dry, with the water from the water trap/muffler, being discharged below.
David B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2020, 22:50   #66

Boat: Milkraft 60 ex trawler

Quote:
All you need do is install a water trap with the water discharged below the waterline. Very quick and simple.
Why would I waste time and money doing that when its not an issue?
Not to mention putting a 3rd hole below the waterline - no thanks.
Simi 60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2020, 04:35   #67

Boat: Chris Craft 381 Catalina

Quote:
Those water separators suck up a good bit of space. I've thought of adding one, but I can't think of how to do it without hurting access to the outboard side of the generator.
rslifkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2020, 06:57   #68

Boat: Simpson 11m Catamaran

Let me tell you a secret. There is a thing called a solar panel. Fantastic technology. Completely silent. No smoke, no fumes.Cost nothing to run, doesn't f#ck up the environment.

Or of course you could just be a dick and run a noisy, smelly poluting gen set and be THAT GUY in the anchorage.

If you think you can't live without air conditioners, electric water heaters, electric cook tops etc etc, then you are probably missing the point of boating.If you need all the creature comforts of home, perhaps you should stay at home and not annoy the rest of us who are just trying to enjoy a bit of peace and quiet.

Just sayin'.....
Cliffhanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2020, 07:27   #69

Boat: Chris Craft 381 Catalina

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cliffhanger View Post
Let me tell you a secret. There is a thing called a solar panel. Fantastic technology. Completely silent. No smoke, no fumes.Cost nothing to run, doesn't f#ck up the environment.

Or of course you could just be a dick and run a noisy, smelly poluting gen set and be THAT GUY in the anchorage.

If you think you can't live without air conditioners, electric water heaters, electric cook tops etc etc, then you are probably missing the point of boating.If you need all the creature comforts of home, perhaps you should stay at home and not annoy the rest of us who are just trying to enjoy a bit of peace and quiet.

Just sayin'.....
Solar is wonderful and in my plans to add, although not critical for my recent boating, as I haven't stayed put without shore power long enough to need to run the generator just for battery charging. I'll also be adding an inverter so I don't need the generator to make coffee. And I absolutely despise running a generator to charge batteries.

But running it for an hour in the evening to cook dinner and let the water heater warm up for showers is not a big deal. I have no desire to add propane to my boat and no good place for a proper propane locker anyway.

As far as the noise disturbing people, I generally prefer quiet, non crowded anchorages anyway, so I'm rarely on top of anyone. On a town dock with no power, I try to be down wind and always dock with the generator exhaust on the non dock side. Plus, it's louder inside than out and I don't like listening to the thing, so it only runs as long as I need it for something and then it's shut down. If it's hot and humid enough that I feel the need to run ac for a bit in the evening, I almost always see someone doing the same before I've decided to do it.
rslifkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2020, 07:44   #70

Boat: 50ft Custom Fast Catamaran

Quote:

Just sayin'.....
Anyone with this much anger *is* “that guy”. Lol
Chotu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2020, 07:51   #71

Boat: X442

Quote:

Just sayin'.....
I don't like these kinds of secrets. The essence of what you're saying I agree with but if the idea is to convince people to try something else then this is wholly counter productive. Which is a pity, missed opportunity.
HeinSdL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2020, 07:57   #72

Boat: Ian Ross design ketch 63'

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeinSdL View Post
I don't like these kinds of secrets. The essence of what you're saying I agree with but if the idea is to convince people to try something else then this is wholly counter productive. Which is a pity, missed opportunity.

Hein - the idea was never to "convince people to try something else". Unfortunately, the idea was to prove how superior some people are to others.
Old 04-09-2020, 08:14   #73

Boat: sabre 28

I have a Honda on my boat. Use it a couple of times a year when cloudy days won't let the solar catch up or I need a good charge in my propulsion battery bank. I'm glad I have it but as annoying as it may be to someone else in an anchorage, it's very annoying to me....
Old 04-09-2020, 09:05   #74

Boat: Rafiki 37

I get why people use and even need to run generators. I own one of those gas generators (1000 watt Yamaha) and do use it on occasion. Most of the time my solar (400 watts) and wind (400 watt Silentwind ... not silent, but pretty quiet) keeps up with my electrical demands. Last season I didn't use it at all. Two seasons ago we had to use it two or three times for a few hours to charge batteries. This was over three months of being at the same anchor (so never running the big diesel).

When we do pull it out, it is always when we are far away, or more likely alone, in the anchorage. I would never consider running it early in the morning or late through the night, but I certainly understand the need.

The point is not to say no generators, never. The point is that we can use them while respecting those around us. It's heartening to see most people here use this approach. It is the tiny few dyck-heads who don't give a damn about anyone else which mess it up for everyone.
Old 04-09-2020, 13:17   #75

Boat: Beebe Passagemaker 50'

Quote:
Just sayin'.....

Cliffhanger: Here's a "secret" (not really a secret to the informed) you might want to research before you make another post about solar power.

Solar Power IS Green! However MAKING solar power cells and batteries IS NOT!

Fabricating the solar panels often requires caustic chemicals such as sodium hydroxide and hydrofluoric acid, and most processes uses large quantities of fresh water and electricity, often generated by not so green process, and high temperatures, up to 2000 degrees, obtained through the use of fossil fuels, which in turn produces/emits greenhouse gases.

Your post reminds me of a neighbor of mine who looks down his nose at me for using a fossil fuel burning car (BAD for the environment) while he uses an ELECTRIC car (GOOD for the environment), but won't even discuss where the electricity to charge his car comes from, or how environmentally damaging the processes of making his batteries (which require periodic replacement over the lifetime of his car) are.

Not saying that Solar Power isn't nice, and shouldn't be pursued more, but perhaps people should at least become educated, and at least be open to the facts of the matter before spouting off.
BlueH2Obound is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
generator