Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-07-2016, 14:41   #31
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Islander 34
Re: The hook of Sausalito!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vancefish View Post
I live in Colorado. My boat lives in the bay. I want to live on my boat, in a slip. Nobody will let me.

So this thread is about me leaving my NON live aboard marina and dropping the hook in Sausalito.

I've called every marina in the bay over and over again. They all say the same thing with varying degrees of nasty.

NO live aboard slips are available!!

Is there something people are not saying? Maybe I CAN live aboard, but not mention it, or risk being evicted for doing it illegally?
All marina's will say no liveaboards, if you call. You have to show up in a clean, well appointed boat for a day or two and then ask about a slip and liveaboard options.

Marina Bay in Richmond use to always have liveaboard slips open, but for one dog only. I think the two dogs is going to be the big show stopper. But you have to show up in person to ask.

You might try Vallejo too.

You can also just pay the transient daily rate and stay at a marine for a month or three. sometimes for 6 months. Then move to another. for a month or so. Might cost a bit more then slip and liveaboard fee, but probably doable. Plus it lets the harbormaster see if you fit in to their marina environment.
sailorchic34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2016, 14:43   #32

Boat: Peterson, Sloop, 34'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schooner Chandlery View Post
I just saw your other post about the move you'll be making on the 5th--and understand the new marina has nixed you saying "no dogs" or whatever. Sorry about that. In the other thread you mention bottom fouling, etc. With your move from CO, it sounds like you'd be well served to just haul out and get the bottom work done (or DIY) and then you will have the freedom to leave your trapped area where ever you are now. You can DIY at Berkeley Boatyard and there's also a yard south side of San Francisco (can't recall the name) as well as ones further up in the Delta.

What sort of work do you do in CO and what will you be looking for in the Bay area work-wise while you sort out the boat?

PS to folks asking about safety, dingy theft etc. It happens almost everywhere there are cruisers cruising and it can be other cruisers just as easily as locals doing the theft. Richardson Bay is a very "special" place with a lot of other problems/issues but you do always have to keep an eye on the dink.
This is actually exactly why this is becoming such a huge problem. I DO need to haul the boat. I would surely re-do the bottom myself. I've spoken to Napa marina / Boat yard about it more then once.

However, Not having anywhere to live out there (including MY boat) means I've held my Colorado job, and run out there on vacations to beat feet on one project or another,.. before rushing back to work. There has not been enough time for me to do the larger projects such as hauling the boat, or replacing my standing rigging. Which I can likely do one cable at a time, each pay check if I were there to do it.

As for what I do for a living now. I have been building Solar controllers for over twelve years. Stuffing and soldering electronic boards together. I'm proficient in both through hole and surface mount. Making small modifications such as trace cuts or jump wires for older software/hardware versions. Wiring and layout of MDR backpanels and breaker wiring. Some machining and testing of the components.

I can do many other jobs however. I've worked in Customer service, Tech support, Warehousing and inventory. I grew up driving a Forklift, so a certification for California and that's an option. I'm also really good with animals. So dog walking, or day care could be a good short term answer while I find something a bit higher paying.
Vancefish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2016, 14:58   #33

Boat: M/V Carquinez Coot

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailorchic34 View Post

You might try Vallejo too. ...
It has high vacancy, and they've just now increased marina fees substantially. Week-end service was eliminated a couple of years ago.

Old 02-07-2016, 15:01   #34

Boat: Condor Trimaran 30 foot

Vance, as SailorC stated, check out Vallejo. But I am not sure they will let you stay on the boat fulltime. I know they let you stay for the weekends. Bay area liveaboards, as you are beginning to understand are pretty hard to come by. The marinas are bound legally to only allow X % of slips to liveaboards. People wait many years to get such a slip. Good luck to you. The Pacific northwest might be a little easier but the wind and rain can be another drama.
alansmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2016, 15:09   #35

If you claim to be in "transit," living aboard is possible for months. Boat repair and health issues will help.
Old 02-07-2016, 15:12   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by alansmith View Post
Vance, as SailorC stated, check out Vallejo. But I am not sure they will let you stay on the boat fulltime. I know they let you stay for the weekends. Bay area liveaboards, as you are beginning to understand are pretty hard to come by. The marinas are bound legally to only allow X % of slips to liveaboards. People wait many years to get such a slip. Good luck to you. The Pacific northwest might be a little easier but the wind and rain can be another drama.
Beginning?? I have been fighting to live out there for two and a half years! It's virtually impossible! I can't imagine that anywhere else in the world is so difficult!

What if I sailed in with bad rigging? Needed to fix it, before I could move on. But needed to work a bit to afford it? In the bay it seems they want to see you loose everything. Rent an apartment for $3000 a month!!?? WTH??? At my pay rate, I'd have to sell the boat to afford the rent alone. It's ludicrous!

I'd LOVE to sail her out of that retched bay! I have nothing against the people, or the beautiful land and outdoors. It's only the bureaucracy, taxes and rules. They are nearly forcing me to sail into the Pacific in an unsafe boat, bad rigging and NO real experience in a boat this size.

They tread me like I'm a criminal who should live in a tent. Instead of a guy who's invested three years of pay into a sailing yacht.
Old 02-07-2016, 15:15   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by markpierce View Post
If you claim to be in "transit," living aboard is possible for months. Boat repair and health issues will help.
I want to go to Seattle or Mexico. However this boats standing rigging was installed in 1982!! I can't leave until I replace it.
Old 02-07-2016, 15:25   #38

Quote:
Beginning?? I have been fighting to live out there for two and a half years! It's virtually impossible! I can't imagine that anywhere else in the world is so difficult!
What makes you so unwantable?
Old 02-07-2016, 15:25   #39

Boat: Seafarer36c

Go to the down town San Rafael marina. You can haul your boat and stay on one of the other boats there. Ask for Paul. he has a 36' wooden sailboat he is not using. .. Did you say you had a 7'draft?, the creek would be tricky
model 10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2016, 15:28   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailorchic34 View Post
All marina's will say no liveaboards, if you call. You have to show up in a clean, well appointed boat for a day or two and then ask about a slip and liveaboard options.

Marina Bay in Richmond use to always have liveaboard slips open, but for one dog only. I think the two dogs is going to be the big show stopper. But you have to show up in person to ask.

You might try Vallejo too.

You can also just pay the transient daily rate and stay at a marine for a month or three. sometimes for 6 months. Then move to another. for a month or so. Might cost a bit more then slip and liveaboard fee, but probably doable. Plus it lets the harbormaster see if you fit in to their marina environment.
Quote:
It has high vacancy, and they've just now increased marina fees substantially. Week-end service was eliminated a couple of years ago.

Vallejo and Martinez were both to shallow. My keel is 6 foot 5 inches. both of those marinas told me 5 foot depth at low tide. Vallejo said they might not be able to even get me in!

However that pic looks a lot like dredging. When did that happen? I last called them about a year ago.
Old 02-07-2016, 15:31   #41

When I go to a boatyard for repair/maintenance, docking is free while work is done. (Nevertheless, I continue to pay for a vacant berth at home port.)

Old 02-07-2016, 15:32   #42
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Islander 34

Quote:
They tread me like I'm a criminal who should live in a tent. Instead of a guy who's invested three years of pay into a sailing yacht.
Welcome to the bay area. Apartment rents are getting really crazy all over the bay and north bay area. I've lived on a boat here for 9 years. The last 6 years with $500-$600/ month income.

Most liveaboards NEVER take the boat out. If you take your boat out, which harbor masters like to see, your a full time cruiser, at least in their eyes.

Pretty sure Vallejo will take you, Just rent a slip and don't say the word liveaboard, say full time cruiser instead. The thing is, almost all marina's have some liveaboards in them. The TV satellite dishes on the docks, give it away.

Some of the marinas in the delta have a pretty low daily transient rate. That is monthly transient fee is no higher then slip and liveaboard fee at marina bay for example.

Calling about a liveaboard slip NEVER works.
sailorchic34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2016, 15:35   #43

If I drop anchor "in" Richardson Bay? It will be in the most Southern area. Somewhere near to Cone rock. Simply because my draft is 6.7 feet. I can't go in deeper, just due to depth.

I'd think that might help theft a little. Simply because I'll be farther out then the bulk of boats anchored out there.

It also means I'll be much more exposed!!
Old 02-07-2016, 15:38   #44

Quote:

However that pic looks a lot like dredging. When did that happen? I last called them about a year ago.
Not so long ago. You should make it into K dock during most tidal conditions. Supposedly, J dock will be taken care of sometime soon.
Old 02-07-2016, 15:49   #45

Quote:
What makes you so unwantable?
It sounds like you guys think I'm coming BACK to California, after moving to Colorado. When the truth is, I'm going against the flow!