Cruisers & Sailing Forums (https://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/)
-   Liveaboard's Forum (https://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/f74/)
-   -   The hook of Sausalito! (https://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/f74/the-hook-of-sausalito-168777.html)

Vancefish 30-06-2016 18:38

The hook of Sausalito!
 
So,.. I've know about this anchorage for a while. Both abandoned and boats filled with less then savory souls. Meandering eyes checking out your spoils, as they row past your way.

As I have just been denied my Live aboard slip, based on an unread statement. I have already packed my stuff, ready to move to my boat. Can't go back, and can't sail to the planned destination. I'm thinking that my hook needs to see mud.

The questions are,.. Where do I tie my dinghy, without loosing my outboard? Where can I park my Truck, while on my boat?

Mostly though,... HOW do I get an address, so I can get a job??:peace:

gamayun 30-06-2016 23:23

Re: The hook of Sausalito!
 
Sorry about your situation. As to an address, get a post office box and ask them for the street address for deliveries. If someone needs an address for work, that's all they should need. With two dogs, unfortunately, your options are limited around here. They're really clamping down at the marinas. Good luck!

fstbttms 01-07-2016 06:10

Re: The hook of Sausalito!
 
The Post Office will not accept deliveries requiring a signature. The UPS Store (or similar) is a much better solution. Not only does it provide you with a legitimate address and mailbox, but they will accept even palletized shipments and have computers, copiers, faxes etc., on site.

As far as parking your dinghy in a secure location while you're at work? All I can say is that you'd better hope your oars don't get stolen along with the outboard. :rolleyes:

Vancefish 01-07-2016 14:44

Re: The hook of Sausalito!
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by fstbttms (Post 2156931)
The Post Office will not accept deliveries requiring a signature. The UPS Store (or similar) is a much better solution. Not only does it provide you with a legitimate address and mailbox, but they will accept even palletized shipments and have computers, copiers, faxes etc., on site.

As far as parking your dinghy in a secure location while you're at work? All I can say is that you'd better hope your oars don't get stolen along with the outboard. :rolleyes:

Yea,.. Pretty much what I've been thinking was the case. :banghead:

UNCIVILIZED 01-07-2016 15:18

Re: The hook of Sausalito!
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by fstbttms (Post 2156931)
The Post Office will not accept deliveries requiring a signature. The UPS Store (or similar) is a much better solution. Not only does it provide you with a legitimate address and mailbox, but they will accept even palletized shipments and have computers, copiers, faxes etc., on site.

As far as parking your dinghy in a secure location while you're at work? All I can say is that you'd better hope your oars don't get stolen along with the outboard. :rolleyes:

As of last check, a year or two ago, places like The UPS Store wanted the same proof that you are truly a legit. local, just like the Post Office does. Meaning; a Driver's Liscense w. addy, Utility Bill, etc.

So you'll need to check & see what hoops they want you to jump through in order to "get an address" there. IE; the insanity of needing an address in order to get one...
And yeah, major pain in the rear. But please let us know what you find out.

For the dinghy, when living on a mooring, I quickly found a new home for the outboard & inflatable. And switched to a couple of beater, hard dinghies & oars. It's either that, or the high $ dink & OB will grow legs.
2 dinks, if you can manage it, affords you a spare. And there are times when such is more than a luxury. Like when one's down for repairs, or your neighbor's is... The same neighbor who watches out for your & your stuff, & vice versa.

Each dink got a cable & lock, plus a hole through each oar blade large enough to let the end of the locking cable fit through. Also, either permanently affix your oarlocks to the oars, or carry them with you in your daily travels.
It's an 'adjustment'

My wheels were a reliable, but older, unobtrusive car. Which, fortunately, I had a good spot to park. And it was pretty much visible from the boat. Albeit a 10min+ row away, unless I was up for climbing the rocky seawall right in front of the car, & letting the dink beat itself up on same.

Ecos 01-07-2016 16:25

Re: The hook of Sausalito!
 
If I had a slip in Sausalito I'd let somebody tie up their dink for $100 a month. If you got a job as a wine steward you could pay with wine.:smile:

Rearsteer 01-07-2016 17:02

Re: The hook of Sausalito!
 
If you want a live aboard slip, try San Leandro Marina. It is only about 1/3 full as sail boats have a hard time getting in and out due to draft requirements. Go in on high tide and enjoy.

Vancefish 01-07-2016 18:08

Re: The hook of Sausalito!
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Guy (Post 2157379)
If I had a slip in Sausalito I'd let somebody tie up their dink for $100 a month. If you got a job as a wine steward you could pay with wine.:smile:

I love this idea. The only trouble is, my boat has a 7 foot draft. The only person I indirectly know is in a house boat on the very North end. So a LONG trip to park there.

Still a grand plan for sure!

Vancefish 01-07-2016 18:09

Re: The hook of Sausalito!
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Rearsteer (Post 2157393)
If you want a live aboard slip, try San Leandro Marina. It is only about 1/3 full as sail boats have a hard time getting in and out due to draft requirements. Go in on high tide and enjoy.

They stopped accepting live aboards in 2012. Looks to me like an intentional plan to shut the place down through "natural" means.

Vancefish 01-07-2016 18:12

Re: The hook of Sausalito!
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by UNCIVILIZED (Post 2157327)
As of last check, a year or two ago, places like The UPS Store wanted the same proof that you are truly a legit. local, just like the Post Office does. Meaning; a Driver's Liscense w. addy, Utility Bill, etc.

So you'll need to check & see what hoops they want you to jump through in order to "get an address" there. IE; the insanity of needing an address in order to get one...
And yeah, major pain in the rear. But please let us know what you find out.

For the dinghy, when living on a mooring, I quickly found a new home for the outboard & inflatable. And switched to a couple of beater, hard dinghies & oars. It's either that, or the high $ dink & OB will grow legs.
2 dinks, if you can manage it, affords you a spare. And there are times when such is more than a luxury. Like when one's down for repairs, or your neighbor's is... The same neighbor who watches out for your & your stuff, & vice versa.

Each dink got a cable & lock, plus a hole through each oar blade large enough to let the end of the locking cable fit through. Also, either permanently affix your oarlocks to the oars, or carry them with you in your daily travels.
It's an 'adjustment'

My wheels were a reliable, but older, unobtrusive car. Which, fortunately, I had a good spot to park. And it was pretty much visible from the boat. Albeit a 10min+ row away, unless I was up for climbing the rocky seawall right in front of the car, & letting the dink beat itself up on same.

I like the minimalist/ take it with you approach here. Maybe I should look into a small enough boat to just load it on the truck and take the dinghy.

My inflatable is 12 feet with a 20hp. Maybe a bit of overkill I suppose.

Ecos 01-07-2016 18:32

Re: The hook of Sausalito!
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Vancefish (Post 2157416)
So a LONG trip to park there.
Still a grand plan for sure!

I must have your post confused with another. I thought you had a 20hp dink. I knew a guy who sailed to work in Richmond in a dinghy.

Vancefish 01-07-2016 18:59

Re: The hook of Sausalito!
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Guy (Post 2157430)
I must have your post confused with another. I thought you had a 20hp dink. I knew a guy who sailed to work in Richmond in a dinghy.

My sailboat sleeps 7. So I bought a dinghy that holds 6. It's max HP is 20, and an old 20 in Colorado is pretty cheap. So here we are!

Granted it seems a bit excessive for a single person commuter, but if I load up the boat for the farallons? :smitten:

Ecos 01-07-2016 19:17

Re: The hook of Sausalito!
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Vancefish (Post 2157445)
, but if I load up the boat for the farallons? :smitten:

I don't think you can go ashore at the Farallons without permission. Fishermen anchor out there sometimes but it looks sketchy. Also you can cover Sausalito without much trouble in a 20hp dinghy.

Vancefish 01-07-2016 19:26

Re: The hook of Sausalito!
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Guy (Post 2157455)
I don't think you can go ashore at the Farallons without permission. Fishermen anchor out there sometimes but it looks sketchy. Also you can cover Sausalito without much trouble in a 20hp dinghy.

It's a bit of a gas sucker. I should have gone smaller. :facepalm:

Ecos 01-07-2016 19:39

Re: The hook of Sausalito!
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Vancefish (Post 2157460)
It's a bit of a gas sucker. I should have gone smaller. :facepalm:

No way, gas is cheap. Speed rules. The only drawback to a big dink is weight.


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 01:40.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.


ShowCase vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.