Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-07-2016, 21:13   #16

Boat: Peterson, Sloop, 34'
Re: The hook of Sausalito!

There's an anchorage off the farallons. So it'll be my trial run.

From what I've read it's eggs man!! Eggs,...

I do not need no yummy eggs! lol

After my rigging, and the few trial runs through the bay. The farallons are a great open ocean, trial run for a weekend. I think you can go ashore, but it's pretty baron, and thus boring (unless you go during sea lion breeding season I'd assume).

I'm NOT experienced in a sailboat this large!! SO this will be a wonderful trip when it comes to pass!

However I like my big dinghy!

It is a bit excessive for some. but,..F...
Vancefish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2016, 21:18   #17
Hull Diver

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Under a boat, in a marina, in the San Francisco Bay

An anchorage off the Farallons? Go ashore? Bwhahahahaha!
fstbttms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2016, 21:24   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by fstbttms View Post
An anchorage off the Farallons? Go ashore? Bwhahahahaha!
I suppose my charts are a bit old! lol

Still need to hook up the Garmin to power.
Old 02-07-2016, 00:51   #19

Boat: Skookum 47

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vancefish View Post
There's an anchorage off the farallons. So it'll be my trial run.

From what I've read it's eggs man!! Eggs,...

I do not need no yummy eggs! lol

After my rigging, and the few trial runs through the bay. The farallons are a great open ocean, trial run for a weekend. I think you can go ashore, but it's pretty baron, and thus boring (unless you go during sea lion breeding season I'd assume).

I'm NOT experienced in a sailboat this large!! SO this will be a wonderful trip when it comes to pass!

However I like my big dinghy!

It is a bit excessive for some. but,..F...
You can definitely not go ashore. Scientists only. Second on the laughter of an anchorage. There's no real reason to go ashore anyway. It's a barren guano covered windswept rock with little redeeming feature. Beat or motor up to Drakes, drop the hook overnight, then sail back down. Then you'll feel like you're cruising for just a wee bit
SF Bay Dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2016, 08:59   #20

Boat: Perry 47

As for an address, I use a service in Sausalito called Travelers Mailbag. Doesn't matter what marina I'm in or if I'm on the hook. My address remains the same. 3020 Bridgeway. Jack, the owner is a real nice guy that is returning to the world of boats as we speak. I'm delivering his "new to him" 40' sailboat up from San Diego to here for him in about two weeks. He provides a fantastic service that I will continue to use while cruising to keep a "land address".

Good luck keeping anything dink related in the Richardson bay anchorage. I know some people have done it for years, but I hear too many horror stories almost every day. I'd anchor out there as it's close to work for me, but instead I pay a slip fee just to avoid all of the issues.
Kyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2016, 09:10   #21
Marine Service Provider

Boat: SS Crocker design #131
The hook of Sausalito!

Quote:
So,.. I've know about this anchorage for a while. Both abandoned and boats filled with less then savory souls. Meandering eyes checking out your spoils, as they row past your way.

As I have just been denied my Live aboard slip, based on an unread statement. I have already packed my stuff, ready to move to my boat. Can't go back, and can't sail to the planned destination. I'm thinking that my hook needs to see mud.

The questions are,.. Where do I tie my dinghy, without loosing my outboard? Where can I park my Truck, while on my boat?

Mostly though,... HOW do I get an address, so I can get a job??

Are you saying your boat can't leave Sausalito (really limiting engine and sail problems) or you can't go cruising? It's a short trip to Pillar Point where there isn't a limit on liveaboard slips. There are many other LA marina choices actually inside the bay as well.
Old 02-07-2016, 09:16   #22

Boat: Lancer 44' motorsailer

Yes, ironically you need an address to get an address. But, try this...take your slip agreement that's been approved by the marina (no matter if it is now obsolete) and take that to the US Post Office (next to Molly Stones grocery store on Bridgeway) and use that address on the lease paperwork as your local address.
skwanderer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2016, 09:55   #23

Quote:
So,.. I've know about this anchorage for a while. Both abandoned and boats filled with less then savory souls. Meandering eyes checking out your spoils, as they row past your way.

As I have just been denied my Live aboard slip, based on an unread statement. I have already packed my stuff, ready to move to my boat. Can't go back, and can't sail to the planned destination. I'm thinking that my hook needs to see mud.

The questions are,.. Where do I tie my dinghy, without loosing my outboard? Where can I park my Truck, while on my boat?

Mostly though,... HOW do I get an address, so I can get a job??
Im kinda confused by your post.
What do you mean by "denied my Live aboard slip, based on an unread statement. "?
Also, is crime and theft a major problem in the cruising community? I kinda thought it would be filled with good folks, not a bunch of scum looking to rob you. So, you have to figure out to secure your dinghy at the dock or it gets stolen? This to me seams like a major difficulty to being able to pull in somewhere and work for a few weeks or months to make some cash before getting underway again.
landlockedsquid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2016, 10:03   #24

Boat: Lancer 44' motorsailer

Richardson bay has a lot of the underbelly of society creeping around. I used to live aboard in Bridgeway marina there that itself was a bit dodgy at best. And "the anchor outs" would slither in and dock and use the facilities (compromised of a nasty shower and toilet). It's an interesting place. Can't imagine a locale more bohemian but also a bit edgey. Totally runs counter to the rich and pampered assumptions of Marin people have.
It has a long history of anachronistic lifestyles, from the houseboat wars of the 1970s to even earlier in the 50s and 60s when mafia hitmen types would come west to moor there to get invisible for a while.
Still, it's an awesome place
skwanderer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2016, 10:16   #25
cruiser

I'd sooner pay for a slip or rent an appartment rather than worry about the meth lab barge next door blowing up.

I've been to Richardson Bay.... Gross.
Kenomac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2016, 11:21   #26

Boat: Chung Hwa Boat Builders, Magellan 36

You might negotiate a dinghy parking with Sausalito Yacht club at the south end of town. Locked gate If I recall correctly. Moorings there also.
foufou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2016, 11:30   #27
Marine Service Provider

Boat: SS Crocker design #131

I just saw your other post about the move you'll be making on the 5th--and understand the new marina has nixed you saying "no dogs" or whatever. Sorry about that. In the other thread you mention bottom fouling, etc. With your move from CO, it sounds like you'd be well served to just haul out and get the bottom work done (or DIY) and then you will have the freedom to leave your trapped area where ever you are now. You can DIY at Berkeley Boatyard and there's also a yard south side of San Francisco (can't recall the name) as well as ones further up in the Delta.

What sort of work do you do in CO and what will you be looking for in the Bay area work-wise while you sort out the boat?

PS to folks asking about safety, dingy theft etc. It happens almost everywhere there are cruisers cruising and it can be other cruisers just as easily as locals doing the theft. Richardson Bay is a very "special" place with a lot of other problems/issues but you do always have to keep an eye on the dink.
Old 02-07-2016, 14:17   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schooner Chandlery View Post
Are you saying your boat can't leave Sausalito (really limiting engine and sail problems) or you can't go cruising? It's a short trip to Pillar Point where there isn't a limit on liveaboard slips. There are many other LA marina choices actually inside the bay as well.
I live in Colorado. My boat lives in the bay. I want to live on my boat, in a slip. Nobody will let me.

So this thread is about me leaving my NON live aboard marina and dropping the hook in Sausalito.

I've called every marina in the bay over and over again. They all say the same thing with varying degrees of nasty.

NO live aboard slips are available!!

Is there something people are not saying? Maybe I CAN live aboard, but not mention it, or risk being evicted for doing it illegally?
Old 02-07-2016, 14:21   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by landlockedsquid View Post
Im kinda confused by your post.
What do you mean by "denied my Live aboard slip, based on an unread statement. "?
Also, is crime and theft a major problem in the cruising community? I kinda thought it would be filled with good folks, not a bunch of scum looking to rob you. So, you have to figure out to secure your dinghy at the dock or it gets stolen? This to me seams like a major difficulty to being able to pull in somewhere and work for a few weeks or months to make some cash before getting underway again.
My application to Brickyard cove plainly said "LIVE ABOARD ONLY PLEASE" exactly where they told me to write it on the application.

They offered me a slip just over two weeks later. So I packed and gave up my home. The day I accepted the offer they took it back. They said they didn't see that I wanted live aboard.

So now I'm houseless, and can't live in my yacht either.

Unless I can either find another slip, or drop the hook.
Old 02-07-2016, 14:34   #30

Quote:
My application to Brickyard cove plainly said "LIVE ABOARD ONLY PLEASE" exactly where they told me to write it on the application.

They offered me a slip just over two weeks later. So I packed and gave up my home. The day I accepted the offer they took it back. They said they didn't see that I wanted live aboard.

So now I'm houseless, and can't live in my yacht either.

Unless I can either find another slip, or drop the hook.
Gotcha, thanks.
landlockedsquid is offline   Reply With Quote