Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Life Aboard a Boat > Liveaboard's Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-02-2023, 13:36   #1

Boat: Seeking motor sailer this fall west coast N America
So cal marinas limiting livaboard >40ft

Called about a groovy little west sail with a bad Perkins talked to gracious owner and he informed that slips are being limited all over SoCal under 40ft…..is this true? Or perhaps where he is located only.. thanks

Ps boat looks good for someone.
Old 08-02-2023, 13:43   #2

Boat: IP 44
Re: So cal marinas limiting livaboard >40ft

Ive heard of limiting the percentage of live aboards within a marina. But not in relation to LOA. Sounds like a local or specific marina thing.
CrispyCringle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2023, 13:51   #3

Here’s the vessel he has it on Craigslist so why not here may be some ones dream vessel lol

https://sandiego.craigslist.org/csd/...572951220.html
Old 08-02-2023, 14:03   #4

Boat: Westsail 32

Looks like a nice boat, other than the engine of course. Has a stainless boomkin and bowsprit too.

Most marinas in the LA area at least limit the %-age of liveaboards. It might be a city regulation, or perhaps just the decision of the marina to keep things from becoming a trailer park. In places like SoCal, where the cost of housing is high, living aboard is a very appealing alternative, and it doesn't always attract the most scrupulous folk, from my experience down there.
Ryban is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2023, 14:29   #5

I view the area as a place to rescue Aquaminiums. He told me there no seawater in the block, no rod sticking out so who knows too small for my marriage. I could see it devolving rabidly in a marina with housing market like that. They must clean house in the harbor lots of boats show up in the spring down there must be moved etc etc
Old 09-02-2023, 05:36   #6

Boat: Camano Troll

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drunkonwatch View Post
Called about a groovy little west sail with a bad Perkins talked to gracious owner and he informed that slips are being limited all over SoCal under 40ft…..is this true? Or perhaps where he is located only.. thanks

Ps boat looks good for someone.
If you want to know about marina restrictions, you will have to call the marinas and ask.

It could be a marina restriction or it could be local or state law. Local laws often specify minimum sizes for land dwellings, they might do this for boats as well.
Old 09-02-2023, 06:26   #7

Many marinas we have encountered in CA have length limitations for liveaboards. There are legal limitations on the % or numbers in many places, AFAIK the length stuff is usually a marina rule rather than legal, but each place can be different.

The last marina we stayed at in CA had this rule right in their application:

Quote:
Vessel is 35′ LOA or larger (on a case-by-case basis the Marina may consider a vessel over 30′ LOA)
From what some harbormasters have told me a large part of it is that with a smaller vessel they are afraid your "life" will spill over onto the docks rather than staying on your boat.
PippaB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2023, 06:50   #8

Boat: Shannon 50 Ketch

Chula Vista is the farthest South marina on the West coast USA, at the southern end of San Diego bay.

There are 2 marinas there (which are now BOTH owned by Safe Harbor) and have many many slips available at costs lower than San Diego or LA, and they allow liveaboards (for an added fee of course).

Andy at Safe Harbor South Bay is an awesome guy, ex Navy man but very mellow and relaxed for a dock master, and is also a live aboard himself. I was there for 5 years, definitely the most relaxed, easy marina I have ever lived in.

Down side: about 13nm to the ocean.
jordanbigel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2023, 06:53   #9

Boat: SAnta Cruz 27

AFAIK the limit comes from the California Coastal Commission. Our port district charges 30% more for liveaboards, and limits their number. Their rule is if you are not a liveaboard you can't sleep aboard for more than 9 days a month. They have way too many people with guns and badges and have to give them something to do.
donradcliffe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2023, 06:57   #10

Boat: Privilege 39+2'

You could always look for a good marina in Arizona, that seems to be where most of the Californians are fleeing to. ; )
SV_FlyingTigress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2023, 06:59   #11

Boat: Privilege 39+2'
Wink Re: So cal marinas limiting livaboard >40ft

He could try to flee California and look for a slip in Arizona, that seems to be a trend.
SV_FlyingTigress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2023, 11:37   #12

Boat: 2010 Jeanneau SO 44i

Quote:
Originally Posted by PippaB View Post
Many marinas we have encountered in CA have length limitations for liveaboards. There are legal limitations on the % or numbers in many places, AFAIK the length stuff is usually a marina rule rather than legal, but each place can be different.

The last marina we stayed at in CA had this rule right in their application:

From what some harbormasters have told me a large part of it is that with a smaller vessel they are afraid your "life" will spill over onto the docks rather than staying on your boat.

I have herd about spillage as you speak of from several marina managers. I have had conversations about live aboard status from a carrier marina manager. He pointed out that most marinas no longer offer “wet storage” because they don’t want “dock squatters” power or sail.
I know of several areas on the east coast that offer slips “year round” at great prices but they are all places you need a car to get provisions like milk and eggs.
Kd9truck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-02-2023, 08:08   #13

Boat: S&S 54' sloop

Quote:
Originally Posted by jordanbigel View Post
Chula Vista is the farthest South marina on the West coast USA, at the southern end of San Diego bay.

There are 2 marinas there (which are now BOTH owned by Safe Harbor) and have many many slips available at costs lower than San Diego or LA, and they allow liveaboards (for an added fee of course).

Andy at Safe Harbor South Bay is an awesome guy, ex Navy man but very mellow and relaxed for a dock master, and is also a live aboard himself. I was there for 5 years, definitely the most relaxed, easy marina I have ever lived in.

Down side: about 13nm to the ocean.
I concur heartily. I have been in a number of marinas in SD. The worse was at CCYC where rules were based on liquor bills. Stay away from yacht clubs they are populated with HOA MENTALITY!

I am presently at what was California Yacht Marina now Safe Harbor. I am a live aboard on Andys dock and have found him to be very helpful and cares about his neighbors. He is ex navy ( academy) when it meant something. His assistant Jack a former chief is also boat savy. Very good security and parking.

Plan a few days at sea ...and get a tan!
chinamike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-02-2023, 10:50   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen_MO View Post
You could always look for a good marina in Arizona, that seems to be where most of the Californians are fleeing to. ; )
Ok or I could skip California all together.
Old 24-02-2023, 10:52   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwidman View Post
If you want to know about marina restrictions, you will have to call the marinas and ask.

It could be a marina restriction or it could be local or state law. Local laws often specify minimum sizes for land dwellings, they might do this for boats as well.
I guess I could seems to be a general notion they are taking there just A discussion.

Tags
cal, marinas