Cruisers Forum

Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 6 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 20-11-2012, 06:50   #316

Re: Security - What do You Do ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Auzzee View Post
Doesn't seem like an entirely bad idea in some cases.

A boat moored in the bay had a handwritten note pinned to the companionway door:

F**K OFF I'm sick, angry and drunk!

Certainly kept me away!
LOL, That's a good one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by minaret
I'm not really too worried about being boarded by watermelons...
See? There's your problem. I hear them watermelons are sneaky.
-Bruce

Old 20-11-2012, 09:32   #317

Boat: 1987 Morgan 43

Saw this today and thought of this forum thread ...

A DIY light show project to induce nausea. How to instructions can be found here..

Not sure how effective it is but I bet firing it up and strobing someone would get their attention and back them off.
Old 20-11-2012, 09:40   #318

Boat: Lagoon 440

Quote:
Originally Posted by Driftwoods View Post

A DIY light show project to induce nausea. How to instructions can be found here..

Not sure how effective it is but I bet firing it up and strobing someone would get their attention and back them off.
Love it!
Old 20-11-2012, 09:56   #319

That's pretty cool! And typical government waste.

Wonder how well this would work on the back of a vehicle for those who don't dim their headlights...? LOL
Old 20-11-2012, 10:15   #320

Boat: Still have the 33yo Jon boat. But now a CATAMARAN. Nice little 18' Bay Cat.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Driftwoods View Post

Man I like that thing.
Old 20-11-2012, 13:19   #321

Boat: Sunfish (but looking for a Sneakbox)

Quote:
Lagoon4us
Innovation: I would like to see a remote flare launcher developed, one that is in the form of a tubular launcher that can be bolted externally and high up.
That is what Batman had on the back of the batcar. When someone tired to steal his car it shot up flares.
Old 20-11-2012, 14:07   #322

I'm not a fan of offensive defence against malicious intent (eg guns, mace, winch handles)

Defensive defence measures in theory include locks, alarms, flak jackets, detectors, etc.

I personally can't see the attraction of sailing if that's what it takes to be safe: I'm very fatalistic about risks (such as weather, collision, equipment failure) which are malice-free, but not at all interested in malicious risk.

The only defensive measure I use, successfully to date, is to avoid parts of the world where piracy and boat invasions form any part of the local culture.

Luckily this leaves a huge residual, and frankly other aspects of those cultures have limited appeal to me.
Old 20-11-2012, 14:16   #323

Boat: 22' Westerly Nomad

We just need the nautical version of Trunk Monkeys!

Get's 'em every time!

Old 20-11-2012, 14:38   #324

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mt2Salt View Post
That is what Batman had on the back of the batcar. When someone tired to steal his car it shot up flares.
Dah dah dah de dah fishman......
Old 20-11-2012, 15:28   #325

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsmastern View Post
We just need the nautical version of Trunk Monkeys!
I love the Trunk Monkey series.
-Bruce

Old 08-01-2013, 17:59   #326

Boat: PETERSON 44
I have been in seclusion for bad offensive posting. I regret.
Tactical response training from a few experts suggest that using a 800 lumen rapid strobe is effective. Below that lumen I think not. These are not inexpensive. The effect in a day lit room was enough that I think it is worth consideration with other preparations.. Hardened access was discussed. Also flee and move. If assailed from the stern get the hell out the fwd hatch. You have options. Don't be a sitting target. Simple ways to slow down access from security screens to wedges that delay entry help. Hornet spray was advised as a very good tool. Another is canned soda. It has very good weight ergonomic in a hand. Sucks if it being thrown at you while a 800lumen strobe is in your vision and some ass is drenching you in bee spray.
Situational awareness of response time needs consideration. We're you able to notify how far out is help. If its 15 minutes you may wish to get the hell out.more often we talk about how to fight back but rarely flee. Or flee and separate.
A old school thought of secure is a huddled mass with a less secure locked door . Or be armed with a gun. Disperse, move, disorient and flee maybe a better route.
Old 08-01-2013, 18:10   #327
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Security - What do You Do ?

Is my name still scratched on the bulkhead..??
no... those were the dates not my phone number...

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
Old 08-01-2013, 18:36   #328

Quote:
Originally Posted by sabray View Post
I have been in seclusion for bad offensive posting. I regret.
Tactical response training from a few experts suggest that using a 800 lumen rapid strobe is effective. Below that lumen I think not. These are not inexpensive. The effect in a day lit room was enough that I think it is worth consideration with other preparations.. Hardened access was discussed. Also flee and move. If assailed from the stern get the hell out the fwd hatch. You have options. Don't be a sitting target. Simple ways to slow down access from security screens to wedges that delay entry help. Hornet spray was advised as a very good tool. Another is canned soda. It has very good weight ergonomic in a hand. Sucks if it being thrown at you while a 800lumen strobe is in your vision and some ass is drenching you in bee spray.
Situational awareness of response time needs consideration. We're you able to notify how far out is help. If its 15 minutes you may wish to get the hell out.more often we talk about how to fight back but rarely flee. Or flee and separate.
A old school thought of secure is a huddled mass with a less secure locked door . Or be armed with a gun. Disperse, move, disorient and flee maybe a better route.
Think CF should market 'Corner Punishment', nice sticker, hat and 'T'-Shirt will ward of those with the evilest intent!
Old 08-01-2013, 19:24   #329

I had the misfortune of waking one night in my apartment with a Charles Manson type character standing over me. I can elaborate but I have a question.
I rolled off my bunk and grabbed a 12ga flare gun I had by the night stand. The intruder turned and walked out of the room. I then saw a second intruder walking out of my office. It was and upstairs apartment and they had reached the stairs and by the time I realized they had taken my wife's pocket book and my car keys and wallet, they had reached the street. One intruder was already in my truck but I managed to put the drop on Manson with the flare gun. He turned and started walking towards me, I shirtless and briefs. I slowly backed away as he walked towards me with the flare gun pointed squarely at his chest and me warning I was going to shoot. He was undeterred. The commotion and shouting luckily alerted the police who happened to parked across the street at the neighborhood Jiffy Mart. They arrived just seconds before I would have shot this fellow and they made his arrest but the second intruder escaped. Question. I always wondered if the flare gun would have stopped this fellow? At the time I realized I had only one shot. It never occurred to me to aim for the head. I was looking at the biggest target. I didn't want to miss. My feeling is it would not have stopped him. Needless to say, it was only days after that I purchased my first hand gun. A SS S&W 669 9mm automatic. Some say even that is not enough.
Old 08-01-2013, 21:04   #330

Re: Security. What do You Do?

Quote:
Originally Posted by sctpc View Post
In the old days they used Carpet tacks on deck to keep the natives off. I have 3inch nails on the top rail of my boundary fence they stick out an inch and it stopped the person from entering my property
Oh those carpet strip nails are real sharp. I have stuck myself a few times
while remodeling a home in the past. They would be a great idea to lay a few strips around on the deck.
Closed Thread

Tags
security