Cruisers Forum

Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 6 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 17-11-2012, 18:55   #271

Re: Security - What do You Do ?

Will you guys PLEASE stay on topic? This thread is entitled "Security - What would you do?
And for you gun haters, a gun is a viable form of defense and security. Get over it.
This means anything from knocking someone over the head with a winch handle to alarm systems, or anywhere in the middle.
Now, What would "you" do?
-Bruce

Old 17-11-2012, 19:10   #272

Boat: Franz Maas 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lagoon4us View Post
sometimes these thoughts go a little silly but most times they are entertaining.Die a natural death? Nahhh not while we have visions of a hair-spraying winch-handler thumper in action LMAO!!!! It only gets funnier!
A troll is someone who posts messages in an online community, such as a forum, chat room, or blog, with the primary intent of provoking readers into an emotional response.
Old 17-11-2012, 19:21   #273

Boat: 11meter Power catamaran

Quote:
Originally Posted by feelsgood View Post
I think its time this one died a natural death. For security a can of hair spray and a winch handle by the companion way hatch. If they come in spray thenm in the eyes and smack them on the head with the handle. Anything else you use wont have the same effect. I haveactualy used this system and it worked. Guns, tazers. hunting knives all these things can kill and if you kill someone then think about the court you will find yourself in it may not go in your favour. If you are anal about the security issues in sailing then the answer for you is take up knitting

Yeah. And a winch handel to the head can't kill.
Old 17-11-2012, 21:16   #274

I thought about carrying a gun aboard but settled on a can of Bear Spray. I was really happy with my decision after the time my wife acceidently shot me with the bear spray!!!
Old 17-11-2012, 21:33   #275

Boat: SAnta Cruz 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by brantleychuck View Post
I thought about carrying a gun aboard but settled on a can of Bear Spray. I was really happy with my decision after the time my wife acceidently shot me with the bear spray!!!
It was no acceident.

I got out the machete today for a little chopping job, and reminded myself how sharp that sucker is! I remember walking around with the machete in my hand in the third world somewhere. It was like night and day how the locals treated me-- I was no longer a tourist--I was one of the boys.
Old 17-11-2012, 22:29   #276

Boat: looking to buy
FYI... I was anchored on a Florida anchorage. Three people attempted to board me. In my defense I brought out a weapon. They went to authorities and complained. I was arrested, spent a year under house arrest awaiting trial, was convicted of "unlawful display of a firearm" then ordered to leave the county. I was born in the US. Now when applying for jobs I have to reveal that I have a criminal record. So much for second amendment rights...
Old 18-11-2012, 07:33   #277

Boat: Cape Cod Shipbuilders Bullseye
Quote:
Originally Posted by Usagi
FYI... I was anchored on a Florida anchorage. Three people attempted to board me. In my defense I brought out a weapon. They went to authorities and complained. I was arrested, spent a year under house arrest awaiting trial, was convicted of "unlawful display of a firearm" then ordered to leave the county. I was born in the US. Now when applying for jobs I have to reveal that I have a criminal record. So much for second amendment rights...
Warning: put boots on before reading above post. And be sure to remove your boots before boarding my boat.

Pass the popcorn please
Old 18-11-2012, 08:17   #278

Quote:
Originally Posted by CCBullseye View Post
Warning: put boots on before reading above post. And be sure to remove your boots before boarding my boat.

Pass the popcorn please
That's what I thought as well.
-Bruce

Old 18-11-2012, 11:44   #279

Boat: Lagoon 440

Quote:
Originally Posted by Auzzee View Post
A troll is someone who posts messages in an online community, such as a forum, chat room, or blog, with the primary intent of provoking readers into an emotional response.
The following was my post, when you buy a new car it has security built in, there are Sat trackers people buy for there cars yet as boat owners we do little to firstly secure our boats and secondly detect intrusions.

I'm Australian and i don't carry weapons of the firearm sort because it's simply illegal in most countries.

You define me as a troll? You need to get out more mate, i've found some good points in this thread and i'm sure most others who actually have a boat have as well. Presently we are wintered down in the Adriatic we intend to sail south to Greece and Turkey then over to Malta for next years winter. To carry a gun here would be stupid, it would invite trouble.

Radio's, flares, AIS, Radar, movement detectors, loudhailers at spreader height a great help. These things we employ because my wife, our boat and our life is precious.

Troll i think not because if this post is a troll well best this whole forum closes. This forum is a wealth of info, invaluable good info! I get my kicks from life and sailing not watching as you say "emotional reactions" get a life mate!

With the ongoing and never ending discussion of Piracy (really break and enter's at anchorages, armed and otherwise), security and self defence i have gleaned some worthy points and suggest the following.

Most sizeable possessions in our life we protect with alarms in one way or another, on some motor vehicles we setup tracking devices or at the very least the car comes equipped with entry alarms. With our boats we do little.

I put forward the following points interested to explore others ideas that may be added.

Secure/lockable: Hatches should have a removable bar inside preventing easy entry. Windscoops should be setup to provide breeze, Rain? Well they gonna be shut!

Cockpit: Motion detector from 2 sides scanning the main entry. This needs to be connected to a LOUD audible alarm and also connected to a relay to switch on ALL external lights. Maybe with a flasher?

Deterrent: Maybe a dog, short in leg big in Jaw, as someone said it's easier to check in a dog than a gun. Depends on your cruising style. I think most victims or marks are sussed out in daylight hours..

Notification: Flares, even out of dates can easily be placed near hatches or ports, thieves dislike becoming the centre of attraction it really is simple to shoot off a couple of reds out of a hatch if you are convinced you are in a situation.

Radar: If you have one set up a small circle around your boat setting the alarm off if anything/anyone comes into the area.

Radio: Establish a net, talk to others, LEAVE it on to protect them and yourself.

Innovation: I would like to see a remote flare launcher developed, one that is in the form of a tubular launcher that can be bolted externally and high up. Flares should be the Very Pistol style that can be fired but as in a revolver.
An Arming/Fire button inside would be the go. By the bed?

Weapons: Make up your own mind but one word of warning NEVER reveal your ace card without full commitment and ability to use it... We are all different.

Now you notice that all of the above is more effective if your boat is secure, if you sleep with the hatches wide open and the companionway door open then there's not much of this that can help simply because you may wake with a gun in your mouth.

Also notice that every one of the above items will assist and you have not stepped out of your boat to confront anyone.

Actually our Catamaran has an escape hatch in each hull, thats a bonus!!!!

Ok lets see some good ideas/smart ideas ones we can install to protect our being.
Please no electric fence rants
Old 18-11-2012, 12:03   #280

Boat: OEM, proportional

Lag, you broached the idea of a mast-mounted flare dispenser before...are these for distress signal, illumination, or both?

Would a dismountable system be useful, such that it could be combined with an anchor light/ball? That would get it out of the way and avoid a mishap where the sails go up in flames if it activates under way, and also make it easier to service. Stuck at the top of the mast it might not get much regular attention.

It wouldn't be too hard to make up a dispenser that takes commercial parachute distress flares or any of the other types. Electric actuation or more simple pull-cord? As to the revolver idea...how about a pepperbox with a clock escapement, such that each pull on the cord advances the cylinder and launches a flare. To get away from relying on propellant-launched flares, how about spring-launched? One problem I see...where is the burning flare going to end up?

I'd consider hanging something like this off the drone blimp....depending on its height and the size of the flare, one could get a lot of uninterrupted light for a long time. Might be useful beyond security emergencies too...
Old 18-11-2012, 12:08   #281
Armchair Bucketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lagoon4us View Post
I started this thread to get the subject under discussion, it tends to make others think, sometimes these thoughts go a little silly but most times they are entertaining.
And I think it serves a valuable purpose in that.

plus it is entertaining. Intentionally and not .
Old 18-11-2012, 12:15   #282

Quote:
Originally Posted by David_Old_Jersey View Post
And I think it serves a valuable purpose in that.

plus it is entertaining. Intentionally and not .
Exactly, It's natural for any thread regarding security to end up with guns, Geez even an anchor thread goes that way too. The title in the thread asked "WHAT DO YOU DO"? can't be simpler.

I just take exception to be called a TROLL simply because interest is generated in the topic matter....

But i gotta say i got a lotta value outta building an image in my mind of a V-05 Hairspraying winch handling swinger roaring out of a cockpit! Truly a frightening sight!!!
Old 18-11-2012, 12:18   #283

Quote:
Originally Posted by micah719 View Post
Lag, you broached the idea of a mast-mounted flare dispenser before...are these for distress signal, illumination, or both?

Would a dismountable system be useful, such that it could be combined with an anchor light/ball? That would get it out of the way and avoid a mishap where the sails go up in flames if it activates under way, and also make it easier to service. Stuck at the top of the mast it might not get much regular attention.

It wouldn't be too hard to make up a dispenser that takes commercial parachute distress flares or any of the other types. Electric actuation or more simple pull-cord? As to the revolver idea...how about a pepperbox with a clock escapement, such that each pull on the cord advances the cylinder and launches a flare. To get away from relying on propellant-launched flares, how about spring-launched? One problem I see...where is the burning flare going to end up?

I'd consider hanging something like this off the drone blimp....depending on its height and the size of the flare, one could get a lot of uninterrupted light for a long time. Might be useful beyond security emergencies too...
Any style of launcher needs to beyond human reach and not mast mounted in case the boat is dismasted.

On the aft quarter a pole similar to a wind generator structure with the said flares installed in a revolving style using VERY Cartridges. It would need to be staged in the firing i.e. armed/fire/re-arm etc.

The usability i think would be there....

Innovation: I would like to see a remote flare launcher developed, one that is in the form of a tubular launcher that can be bolted externally and high up. Flares should be the Very Pistol style that can be fired but as in a revolver.
An Arming/Fire button inside would be the go. By the bed?
Old 18-11-2012, 12:24   #284

Boat: OEM, proportional

How about the Metal Storm kind of launcher? Was even invented by an Aussie, but he had to sell it to the seppos. A minimum of moving parts and can seal the unit so corrosion/misfire problems greatly reduced, and would fit nicely into a vertical tube which might already be on the stern of a cruiser.
Old 18-11-2012, 12:28   #285

Quote:
Originally Posted by micah719 View Post
How about the Metal Storm kind of launcher? Was even invented by an Aussie, but he had to sell it to the seppos. A minimum of moving parts and can seal the unit so corrosion/misfire problems greatly reduced, and would fit nicely into a vertical tube which might already be on the stern of a cruiser.
LMAO as long as this is shooting selected flares in an upward direction, not wanting to rain down metal fragments on all and sundry!!!

Sure an electric detonation of a flare would work however to build something that doesnt exist costs big..

A Very pistol style/action in a tube pointing up with a remote solenoid actuator i think lies in the possibility realm...

Tags
security