Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-12-2020, 22:24   #16

Boat: BCC28 and a traditional Dutch sailing barge
Re: Propane Refrigerations ?

We've had an old Dometic three way top opening fridge on our boat for 25 years and it has been brilliant. It is enclosed in cabinetry so you can't see it, lift the tea tray cover and open the top.

Our "voyaging" boat is a small classic Dutch traditional sailboat. We don't tend to use the fridge when we are on a sailing passage but we spend most of our time motoring in canals and rivers and moored of course. We have run the fridge on propane solid for months at a time switching to shore power when available.

You know the principal but for those who don't, it has a small flame or heating element that drives the heat pump. There are no moving parts so it is dead reliable. Ours has a piezo ignitor but still the most difficult thing is lighting the small flame to runs propane. On 12 volts it is only practical if the engine is running, uses about 4 amps continuous but no problem on shore power. Ours is set up for 230 AC as it is in Europe right now. Propane consumption is continuous so even the small flame uses a lot, one pound lasts three to four days.

Safety, I check the propane system monthly and have individual shut off valves. The fridge does have a thermo couple but I think it is best to have an external shut off. I also have a propane sniffer in the bilge and replace all hoses every five years.

For our purposes, the system is amazing but I would look closely at changing to 12 volt if our fridge dies. My main concern is that I don't know who or where these are made.

Years ago I used to bring in a small Domestic 3way fridge for my buddies that were into Overlanding. I'd sell it for $300 and it was funky roto-molded plastic and not very high quality but worked well for keeping your beer cold for 3 days on a Coleman 1lb cyl. Certainly made more sense than an expensive 12 v fridge, solar panels and extra battery with all the weight and expense. So, your brother is right, he has the trick system for an RV on the beach.
Lemsteraak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2020, 23:00   #17

Boat: 50ft Custom Fast Catamaran

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatpoker View Post
Propane fridges are bit of a problem for insurance companies who insist on ABYC Standards which prohibit pilot lights and require rool sealed combustion (both combustion air and exhaust must come from outside the vessel) and operate safely at angles of heel up to 30 degrees. I've never seen an LPG fridge that could meet these standards
Mine meets these conditions and has been running for 5 years now.

I don’t meet the heeling condition, of course, since that’s not part of multihull life. But I meet the applicable ones.

Most people don’t follow the installation instructions. That’s the only reason for their poor performance in some instance or their failure to meet the above.
Chotu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2020, 23:02   #18

Boat: 50ft Custom Fast Catamaran

Quote:
Originally Posted by cal40john View Post
Google search turns up lots of how to light the pilot light on fridges.
Completely different kind of refrigerator.

Those are Amish, huge, stationary house refrigerators. Not RV style which is what we’re talking about here.
Chotu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2020, 23:04   #19

Boat: Cal 40 (sold). Still have a Hobie 20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chotu View Post
Completely different kind of refrigerator.

Those are Amish, huge, stationary house refrigerators. Not RV style which is what we’re talking about here.
They were instructions for RV fridges
cal40john is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2020, 09:52   #20

Boat: BCC28 and a traditional Dutch sailing barge

How can a little flame cool your beer?

The Hiscocks used a kerosene fridge on Wanderer III
Lemsteraak is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
propane, refrigeration