Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 19-12-2020, 14:10   #16

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Ellis Flybridge 28
Re: Patrick O'Brian

Anybody else feel that Roger Wittacker had recently read Forrester or O’Brian when he sang this song? https://youtu.be/hKdRpDpIR70 The Last Farewell.
Old 19-12-2020, 14:18   #17

David Weber --- Honor Harrington series
Catalina 34 #224 (1986) C34IA Secretary
Cowichan Bay, BC, SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)
Stu Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-12-2020, 14:25   #18

Location: Sea of Cortez/northern Utah/ Wisconsin/ La Paz, BCS
Boat: Hans Christian 38 Mk II

Quote:
Originally Posted by NedX View Post
I read O'Brian for verisimilitude, Forrester for escapism. Although the ending of the one in which Hornblower's ordered to fight an uneven battle by his superior officer/rival and ends up striking his colors is a downfall Aubrey never has to endure.
Aubrey surrenders his first ccmmand, the brig Sophie to a French squadron of ships of the line and frigates off the coast of Spain in the very first book.
I recall reading Forrester, and like Fstbttms, hold that Forrester doesn’t hold a candle to POB, especially after the first book or two when POB hits his stride.
The WEB Griffin books are an escape for me. The few Sharpe’s Rifles compare with Griffin, though two different time frames
AndyEss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-12-2020, 20:23   #19

Boat: Bavara 37/Soling 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyEss View Post
Aubrey surrenders his first ccmmand, the brig Sophie to a French squadron of ships of the line and frigates off the coast of Spain in the very first book.
I recall reading Forrester, and like Fstbttms, hold that Forrester doesn’t hold a candle to POB, especially after the first book or two when POB hits his stride.
The WEB Griffin books are an escape for me. The few Sharpe’s Rifles compare with Griffin, though two different time frames
Hah. Oops. Musta skipped that one. Hornblower loses a ship of the line, but I know I'm losing this argument. Speaking of escapism, I loved the Russell Crowe movie that mashed together I think a couple or three O'Brian novels.

I agree with that Sharpe's are good, and they were my dad's favorite.
Old 19-12-2020, 20:41   #20

Quote:
Hah. Oops. Musta skipped that one. Hornblower loses a ship of the line, but I know I'm losing this argument. Speaking of escapism, I loved the Russell Crowe movie that mashed together I think a couple or three O'Brian novels.

I agree with that Sharpe's are good, and they were my dad's favorite.
I liked that movie too, and generally like Russell Crowe in his action-y films. I’m a divorced guy, and admit that Russell Crowe’s film “A Good Year” is a great point-getter with most women I’m trying to bed. That film was based on a mash-up of Peter Mayle’s novels.
Peter Mayle was a good read too, if someone is interested in fine living and foodie stuff.
Old 19-12-2020, 20:47   #21
Hull Diver

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Under a boat, in a marina, in the San Francisco Bay

I initially found Russell Crowe and Paul Bettany unsuited to be cast as Jack Aubrey and Stephen Maturin. Crowe is too short and dour to be Jack Aubrey and Bettany is much too tall and fair to be Stephen Maturin. But the more often I've watched the film, the more I like it and the less I am bothered by the physical differences.

I had hoped for sequels to the original film but sadly, that doesn't appear to be in the cards.
fstbttms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-12-2020, 21:17   #22

Boat: Freedom 28 Cat Ketch

I’d recommend for round four, you try the audiobook version. Incredible narration by Patrick Tull.
Jdeuel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-12-2020, 21:56   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by fstbttms View Post
I initially found Russell Crowe and Paul Bettany unsuited to be cast as Jack Aubrey and Stephen Maturin. Crowe is too short and dour to be Jack Aubrey and Bettany is much too tall and fair to be Stephen Maturin. But the more often I've watched the film, the more I like it and the less I am bothered by the physical differences.

I had hoped for sequels to the original film but sadly, that doesn't appear to be in the cards.
As much as POB made of their almost extreme physical differences, a Hollywood movie just can’t into the interesting details a writer can get into 20 or so novels. Crowe has that engaging smile and sorta catches Jack’s devil-May-care exuberance in battle - or chasing women. Or gambling.
Paul Bethany caught Maturin’s wry intelligence pretty well IMO

I used to take the family on vacations to Civil War re-enactments. We also went to colonial Williamsburg. That’s one of the places where those Britishers usurped their way into owning a good chunk of North America on their way to becoming the first truly global superpower.
We stayed at a B&B owned by one of the Williamsburg reanactors. Apparently his dad owned the square rugged boat that was used for the Surprise in the movie. He had a nice ribbed model of the hull. Maybe it was even that model of the Acheron that appears as a prop in the movie.

The A&E series of Forrester’s Hornblower was pretty good.
Old 20-12-2020, 08:55   #24
Hull Diver

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Under a boat, in a marina, in the San Francisco Bay

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdeuel View Post
I’d recommend for round four, you try the audiobook version. Incredible narration by Patrick Tull.
I'm in the middle of Far Side of the World right now. You're right, Patrick Tull is very good.
fstbttms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-12-2020, 09:15   #25

Boat: Nonsuch 30

Quote:

Apparently the movie did very poorly with women although rated highly be men. It had a pretty high budget and the intention was to make more than one to spread the fixed costs (mainly the ship). BTW, I think it has the most realistic waves of any Hollywood movie.
Old 20-12-2020, 14:58   #26
Nearly an old salt

Boat: Bavaria 36

Quote:
Originally Posted by AiniA View Post
Apparently the movie did very poorly with women although rated highly be men. It had a pretty high budget and the intention was to make more than one to spread the fixed costs (mainly the ship). BTW, I think it has the most realistic waves of any Hollywood movie.

Yep saw it a few years ago. The lights came up in the cinema. A sea of men and a few clearly confused women.
Old 20-12-2020, 15:19   #27

Boat: Bavara 37/Soling 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by goboatingnow View Post
Yep saw it a few years ago. The lights came up in the cinema. A sea of men and a few clearly confused women.
And 70% of the men left the theater with a dream of leaving it all behind, buying a 50-60' yacht, and sailing the tropics.
Old 21-12-2020, 20:11   #28

Boat: Nonsuch 30

Quote:
And 70% of the men left the theater with a dream of leaving it all behind, buying a 50-60' yacht, and sailing the tropics.
... to defeat the French (Spanish, or anyone else who might get in the way).
Old 01-01-2021, 07:42   #29

Boat: Brent Swain Pilot House 36' Steel Sloop

Quote:

Russell Crowe wants a sequel ...but....:
What do I need to do as a fan to get another Master and Commander? RUSSELL CROWE: I think it’s just something you need to talk to the studio about because the possibility of doing another one is there, and even though I’m not contracted to it, I’d love to play that character again, because after playing that character I kept reading the books, and there are so many wonderful stories. But that was a very expensive movie for its time, so that’s something that has to be examined. Something else that’s difficult is you also have the estate of Patrick O’Brian, you have the original studio, which I think was Samuel Goldwyn, then you have Fox, who was the principal studio that made it, but they made it in partnership with Universal and Miramax. So it’s very complex to try and get those people on the same page and working towards a second one. Not that I’m trying to do that, but I get asked this question quite a lot.
bcguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2021, 07:45   #30

Boat: Brent Swain Pilot House 36' Steel Sloop

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyEss View Post

Oh yes... POB .... the first book Maturin and Aubrey seated side by side listening to a classical music recital... and nearly coming to a "duel"...sets the series up for their characters so perfectly...
bcguy is offline   Reply With Quote