Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Life Aboard a Boat > Liveaboard's Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 24-07-2023, 07:42   #16

Boat: Jeanneau 40 DS
Re: Part time liveaboard questions Miami/Fort Lauderdale area

I know of an another pilot that is basically doing the exact same thing.

You will need to look at the Fort Pierce area for more affordable marinas. Monthly rates depend on your boat length but for a 40 foot boat you’re looking anywhere in the region of $900 -$1400 a month.

Loggerhead is a gated community , Dockside Marina and inn. Safe Harbour of FP city marina are all viable options plus the inlet is relatively easy to get in and out of for weekend sails.
RedneckRedcoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-07-2023, 08:27   #17

Boat: Passport 40

its true that a lot of live a boards dont sail much because you have to put away your whole house which means moving things around before hitting the waves or swell.
Srpulpo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 24-07-2023, 08:42   #18

Boat: Mariner 38 Pilot House

I also agree with the others.. Ft Pierce and don’t call yourself a “LiveAboard” you’re a cruiser. West Palm is the last stop heading south that’s still cruiser friendly if you’re anchoring but very expensive if you need a marina.

Miami and the surrounding area is easily the worst place to attempt to stay aboard your boat on the east coast. The derelict boat issue has turned the community suspicious of anything anchored more than a few hours and the marinas are focused on the large power boat users.

You might find that the west coast of Florida offers a better solution?
mcon12000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-07-2023, 09:56   #19

Boat: Hunter Passage CC 42

Pick one and deadhead to the others?
K1MGY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-07-2023, 10:11   #20

Boat: dreaming of a Mac 65

I live in the same area and I never see any slips available in this area for liveaboard. I check Facebook marketplace almost every day and I have been seeing many newly available slips available, mostly north of Miami, mostly in Fort Lauderdale. But most to all of them say “no liveaboards”. But I hope I’m wrong and someone else can advise us both.
rsementi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-07-2023, 10:31   #21

Boat: Hunter 41

Marinas in my area (Melbourne/Merritt Island) do NOT consider you a liveaboard is you are overnight for fewer than 8 nights a month. That number may vary. And I doubt they count your nights. If you are aboard every night you'd likely be tagged with the liveaboard surcharge. But at half that, I 'd consider you a cruiser rather than a liveaboard.

And, as others have said, finding a slip is like finding a parking place in downtown Tokyo. It can cost more than the car...

Most often, you can keep the slip the boat is already in. So, buy a boat that comes in a slip you like.

That's what we did.
Dave_R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-07-2023, 14:13   #22

Boat: Newick Creative trimaran, 42'

Sunset Bay Marina in Stuart FL is a great place to live aboard. We'll protected, they have both dockside slips and moorings
Very well maintained laundry, showers, a/c lounge with big screen TV, near shops and restaurants. Walking distance to old town; farmers market on Sundays. 45 minute drive to PBI
Sunset Bay Marina
tomtriad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-07-2023, 16:44   #23

AA QOL contract doesn’t give you the time off anymore. Trip trades, dropping trips aren’t easy to do. That’s why the CEO is only throwing money at this new contract vs QOL. I just left AA at 59, 737 CA, 6900 seniority because there is no life in the job. We are full time liveaboards on a 44’ Sailcat. Couldn’t do it anymore so quit. If you have military, get your name on the slip list in Boca Chica NAS, Key West and commute from there. $425/mo dockage incl water and electric. Free car parking. Duvall Crawl! Not military, I would have your pilot put a notice on the ops board, looking to park boat on another pilots dock, share boat time, pay electric, etc. Last, I met several senior captains that have slips in Coconut Gove marinas. But that’s money. Good luck, we have been full time for 5 years, it’s not cheap anywhere, seems like all the marinas are being bought up by Safe Harbor and the like, charge crazy prices just for daily dinghy dock usage. $30 mooring balls are now $70. Start learning how to fix everything on you boat and save! See you out here! I’ll save you a lobster or two in the Exumas!
Staylorc5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-07-2023, 19:12   #24

Boat: Morgan 34

Lake Park Harbor Marina, 15 mins from PBI. E dock used to be an affordable monthly flat rate for 30 feet or less. No liveabord policy. If you have a primary residence you are not a liveaboard. They didn't have a problem with me spending an overnight on the boat occasionally as long as I didn't cause a ruckus. I had my boat there for almost a year, very nice place. I'm sure there's a waiting list for slips. Good luck.
chriswheat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-07-2023, 19:54   #25

Boat: Bayfield-29, 29'

Check Manatee Bay Club in Key Largo ( we keep our Bayfield 29 there).
Nice place to stay, short drive to Miami. Has place for parking at the dock, pool and washer/dryer. You can stay on the boat for weeks or months. Draft can be up to 3.5ft.

It's a dockominium, but often there are docks for rent.
Call Yvette Doherty 786-236-8158 for docks for rent availability
pandora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-07-2023, 09:50   #26

Boat: Catalina Capri 22

how about a dockominium?https://thebluffsmarinajupiter.com/
for instance
Rightbrainer is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fort lauderdale, liveaboard, miami