Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Life Aboard a Boat > Liveaboard's Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 21-12-2009, 08:19   #31
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Research vessel for a university, retired now.
I think you will be better off if you learn how to sail and then get some cruising experience before purchasing a boat. What if you do not like cruising? What if she does not like cruising?

As far as new or used. New boats will need to have equipment added to suit your specifications. Used boats will have items that need to be replaced in addition to new items that need to be installed. Whether or not a used boat is the better deal depends much on how much needs to be replaced-repaired-modernized-upgraded.

Would you buy a car knowing nothing about cars? Get to know sailing and cruising first and then choose a boat. You will be a much better educated buyer. Only you can decide what type of boat is best for you but if you don't have a good idea through experience, the chances are you will make a poor choice.

Life begins where land ends.
David M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-12-2009, 14:54   #32

Boat: 43' Vista Aft Cabin 'Victoria"
"No love of Sailboats..."

Well, I don't often post here, but here's my $.02. You are getting a lot of good advice so I thought that I could contribute only a couple of small items. I believe that you would get an excellent feel for sailing by chartering a skippered boat for a short time in a nice climate and letting the outfit know you want a "teaching captain". You and the GF will both learn from individualzed instruction in a real world setting and with a low stress level too.
I would encourage you to (gasp!) think about power if you are coastal cruising the US or Bahamas (the great loop is a wonderful trip) and don't need the ability to cross 'big water'. You can buy a very nice ready to go (well pretty much) trawler or motor yacht for under $100k and the left over $$$ from your budget buys a lot of fuel or dockage. Plus you can buy a sailing dinghy to carry on deck!
I have sailed and 'trawlered' for years and love both. My wife though is mildly clausterphobic and so sailboats are pretty much out. We just bought a 43' Taiwan motor yacht (really a fast trawler) and we have a large Master (10' x 13') a large salon, guest sateroom/office forward, a nice covered sundeck, big flybridge and could host a small crowd if we wanted to. I paid way under a $100k for this twin diesel boat with big generator and 3 ac units as well as a watermaker (HINT: the watermaker will be for sale shortly) inverter with battery bank, ssb, etc. etc. and when it comes out of the yard Wednesday, I will still have less (not much though) than $100k invested with new awlgrip, freshened up engines, new vacu flush heads, and all new soft goods. The boat cruises economically (relative to power boats of course) at 8 knots burning a little under 6 gph, does 10 knots at 9 gph, 12 knots at 11 gph and goes crazy after that (2,100 rpm gives a 16 knot cruise but burns 21 gph!)
So, if you are happy at 8 knots (which is more than most 39' - 40 Sailboats will do) burning 6 gph you could cruise 15,000 miles for under $20k in fuel costs, and if you are willing to go 4 or 5 knots I believe that you would burn around 2 -3 gph but in my experience it takes a lot of discipline to do so.
I am not interested in getting flamed by all the sailors (Hey, I sail too!) here, just throwing another though out there.

Good luck and Merrry Christmas
Marc
Mardav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-12-2009, 15:12   #33

Boat: Sceptre 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mardav View Post
So, if you are happy at 8 knots (which is more than most 39' - 40 Sailboats will do) burning 6 gph you could cruise 15,000 miles for under $20k in fuel costs, and if you are willing to go 4 or 5 knots I believe that you would burn around 2 -3 gph but in my experience it takes a lot of discipline to do so.

Good luck and Merrry Christmas
Marc

Not going to flame you. I have a 41' sailboat. When I motor at 7.5 knots I get about 2 gph. At 6 knots I burn about .75 gph. I think you can find a trawler with a single engine that will burn less but not for $100k

Charlie

Between us there was, as I have already said somewhere, the bond of the sea. Besides holding our hearts together through long periods of separation, it had the effect of making us tolerant of each other's yarns -- and even convictions. Heart of Darkness
Joseph Conrad
Charlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-12-2009, 15:25   #34

Boat: Bristol 34
First thing!! Stop and take a deep breath. Rushing around in a panic is what will lead you to a mistake. Maybe a big one. I feel your anxiety in wanting to get on the water as fast as possible (hey, I'm there too), but learning to slow down and relax is the first lesson a cruiser should learn. That said, there is no reason to procrastinate. Find your boat - you will know it within the first few hours aboard if it's "yours". You are on the right track with an Island Packet but as an newby you may think about keeping the size under 35' (fine for two) as it is easier to singlehand and cheaper all around. Find a marina home to spend some time and learn what you need to know. You'll find plenty of advise and probably some free sailing instruction at any decent marina. Use some of that cash to outfit your boat with a lot of reference material (Amazon.com should be bookmarked) becasue sooner or later you'll need to be an electrician or deisal mechanic as well as cook, medic, sailmaker (buy a Sailrite LSZ sewing machine) bottlewasher, etc. Your monthly budget is more than adequate if you can gains some self sufficiency (skills) If I were in your shoes I'd get my boat, hire an experienced Captain/Instructor and make that Marina home in the BVIs (shipping your "Captain Ron" home). Good luck.
rover88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-12-2009, 15:59   #35

Boat: 43' Vista Aft Cabin 'Victoria"
Charlie,

I am with you, that's why I qualified my statement, it's a tradeoff on purchase price for fuel efficiency, the guy I was slipped next to in Brunswick, Ga had a nice 39' Kady Krogen that burns 3ghp at 6 knots on a small single screw, but he paid $600k for it. I guess I could try running on one engine at time if it was important, but right now I am happy with running costs and very comfortable. Of course, you can always throw up the linen and knot worry about the fuel! I can't do that. Funny though, when I had sailboats I always seemed to be using the iron genny.
Thanks for not 'burning me' I was just giving Tim something to chew on.

Marc
Mardav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-12-2009, 19:02   #36
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Now boatless :-(
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mardav View Post
Charlie,

I am with you, that's why I qualified my statement, it's a tradeoff on purchase price for fuel efficiency, the guy I was slipped next to in Brunswick, Ga had a nice 39' Kady Krogen that burns 3ghp at 6 knots on a small single screw, but he paid $600k for it. I guess I could try running on one engine at time if it was important, but right now I am happy with running costs and very comfortable. Of course, you can always throw up the linen and knot worry about the fuel! I can't do that. Funny though, when I had sailboats I always seemed to be using the iron genny.
Thanks for not 'burning me' I was just giving Tim something to chew on.

Marc
I love motor yachts. Especially other people's motor yachts. I have never refused a ride on a motor yacht and never will.

Ice, aircon and no string pulling!
Ex-Calif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-12-2009, 19:36   #37

Lots of great advise here. Hopefully your sitting in St Thomas right now learning to sail. We'd have to second (third) the recommendation to try before your buy. There are many sailing schools that offer living aboard as an option during your classes. After that there are some reasonably priced 32-36' bareboard charters out there where you AND the future Mrs. Releaseme can cut your teeth together. As most sailing classes include a great deal of general marine know how, you can decide later if your want to sail or motor for the rest of your life... Keeping in mind you can sail a long way on a tank of diesel. Continure to poke around in this forum. Ask questions, learn from others.
If we can help let us know
Old 22-12-2009, 09:39   #38
Eternal Member

Boat: Simpson, Catamaran, 46ft. IMAGINE
Take some lessons, and buy yourself a $3k daysailor, or less. Do some charters after a wee bit of time, and go from there. Many people find reality, and the dream quite different. Just as my signature reads......it's the truth, and you better learn how to do most the work on your boat, or the $3,500 a month can disappear VERY QUICK.......i2f
imagine2frolic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-12-2009, 11:40   #39

Boat: 1969 Morgan 40 Cruising Ketch "Lady Catherine II", 1973 Bristol 34 - "Our Baby"(RIP), Catalina 22
(*Insert shameless plug here*)
Got a nice Catalina 22 w/trailer in Texas. Fresh refit and paint!
$3k OBO!
and peace and tranquility reign forever!
1969 Morgan 40 Cruising Ketch
Fishman_Tx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-12-2009, 10:15   #40

Boat: 1985 Seidelmann 37 - s/v Bright Eyes
The logical thing would be to take the lessons first, maybe a charter, to make sure you dont get seasick and actually enjoy floating all the time. Or you can just jump in and enjoy the whirlwind!

My wife and I were in your same shoes a year ago. We knew nothing about sailing except for the fact that we wanted to cruise. Our first day sailing was at the survey of our boat. You will learn alot and have to give your mind breaks. And although it's cheaper, it is definitly more work than living on land. But it's also alot funner. Everything will break, I'm not exagerating. We play the game of "i wonder what will break next". But thats how you learn to fix things. We plan to go cruising in another year and hopefully by then everything will have broken so we know how to fix it.

We can't wait and wish you the best of luck on your new adventure!
Old 23-12-2009, 11:37   #41

Boat: WILL BUY SOON
my new plan

Thanks for the replies and words of encouragement.Its cold here in Texarkana, and not much happening,so I think I will read,research and read some more.I am reading Fast Track to Sailing 'Learn to Sail in Three Days' (YEA,RIGHT) by Steve and Doris Colgate. Next will be Bowditch and the the Annapolis book and so on and on. In addition I will be attending sailing class in Biloxi Ms. under the direction of Capt. Roger at Northstar. Over the next 6 months it will be my goal to take the following courses;;

• Basic Keelboat ASA-101
  • Basic Coastal Cruising ASA-103
  • Bareboat Chartering ASA-104
  • Coastal Navigation ASA-10
  • Advanced Coastal Cruising ASA-106
During or in conjuntion with all this I will be downsizing and selling my house and other crap I will have no need for. Between now and my 6 month goal I will take a charted cruise in St.Thomas and at the same time I will be looking for a boat. So if weather permits and I'm lucky on or around July 1, 2010 I should be setting sail from Ocean Springs Ms,, aboard my boat and head for the US virgin Islands.This is my plan so it is written and so it shall be done may God have mercy on my soul...
RELEASEME is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-12-2009, 11:49   #42

Boat: Pacific Seacraft a Crealock 34
Godspeed,
Erika
Ocean Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-12-2009, 11:50   #43

Boat: 1969 Morgan 40 Cruising Ketch "Lady Catherine II", 1973 Bristol 34 - "Our Baby"(RIP), Catalina 22
In nomine Patris, et Filii, et Spiritus Sancti.
Amen.
Old 23-12-2009, 12:01   #44

Boat: WILL BUY SOON
Fisherman, I think I ordered that in a cheap French resturant,didn't taste good.."A filet with spinach on top"" LOL Oh no is that Latin?
RELEASEME is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-12-2009, 12:05   #45

Aww, it ain't so bad. Your taste buds just ain't used to that fancy-pants artsy-fartsy food. Comes from being one of us Texarkana rednecks.

Belt Road Homies and Texas Tigers!! Hoo-rah..