Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Life Aboard a Boat > Liveaboard's Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 20-02-2024, 06:34   #31

Re: My boating dreams are destroyed

I spend 6 months a year in Florida. I can bring you to just about anywhere on the Intracoastal and show you 10 half sunken boats within a matter of a few miles. Canaveral Barge Canal I can show you that many just along the stretch of canal. You can't cross a causeway within seeing a handful on each side.
Old 20-02-2024, 06:59   #32
CLOD

Boat: none

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shrew View Post
I spend 6 months a year in Florida. I can bring you to just about anywhere on the Intracoastal and show you 10 half sunken boats within a matter of a few miles. Canaveral Barge Canal I can show you that many just along the stretch of canal. You can't cross a causeway within seeing a handful on each side.
They all started out as a dreamer to live on a boat cheap.

Almost all of the push of anchoring laws in Fl can be traced back to trashy bums and failed abandoned boat dreamers. Other States don't have this issue because they already have laws.
Old 20-02-2024, 07:13   #33

Boat: Moody 376

Quote:
Originally Posted by rsementi View Post
I didn’t plan for this tyranny to destroy my pursuit of happiness and my livelihood, since I planned to charter with it to stay alive.
Wait, you want to charter out your boat, but you can't afford a slip? Have you priced out commercial boat insurance? Do you plan on using this boat as a bareboat or are you going to be a captain and taking folks out?
Old 20-02-2024, 08:06   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailorboy1 View Post
They all started out as a dreamer to live on a boat cheap.

Almost all of the push of anchoring laws in Fl can be traced back to trashy bums and failed abandoned boat dreamers. Other States don't have this issue because they already have laws.
Also most other states don't have the weather or the comfortable harbors where one can live year round on an anchor.
Old 20-02-2024, 09:35   #35
CLOD

Boat: none

Quote:
Originally Posted by Island Time O25 View Post
Also most other states don't have the weather or the comfortable harbors where one can live year round on an anchor.
If boaters in Florida acturally lived on the boats, took care of them, were respectful of others the whole thing would would have less push on.
Old 20-02-2024, 11:27   #36

Boat: Sabre 402

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tin Tin View Post
Obviously there is no desire to move the boat every 45 days, then the spot will be lost to another boat.
The trick here would be to trade places with another boat a mile away every 45 days. You could both leave your anchors in the water and use each other's tackle if you trusted how well it was set.
Old 20-02-2024, 11:30   #37

Boat: Prairie 36 Coastal Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailorboy1 View Post
...Other States don't have this issue because they already have laws.
While your other observations are pretty good, I take some exception to this. Very few other states (I'm looking at you, GA) have gone to the trouble FL has to make anchoring difficult/illegal.

Like others here, I totally get why they have to try. But it is incumbent upon cruisers to stay ever-vigilant against feel-good legislation which impacts legitimate anchoring, rather than targets just the (very real) derelict boat issue.

As much as I sympathize with those who embrace that lifestyle, I can't support the rights of squatters over my right of navigation.
Old 20-02-2024, 11:46   #38
always in motion is the future

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sundeer 64

Quote:
Originally Posted by mvweebles View Post
If your boat is incapable of moving 1-mile every 1-1/2 months, you are indeed doomed. Though some may argue that a boat that is incapable of moving isn't really a boat at all.

The south Florida area has had a colorful history of full time anchor outs and stilt homes. Those days are long gone. It's time to adapt. Moving your boat every 45 days isn't too much to ask, is it? Shouldn't your boating dream include using the boat from time to time?
It’s moving 2 miles every 45 days… one mile out, snap a picture of the GPS, turn around and one mile back to the same anchor spot.

Old 20-02-2024, 12:34   #39

Boat: Tartan 40

Agree with general consensus here. Only additional take regarding the shaky “my boating dreams are destroyed” premise is that all of these waterways are sensitive ecosystems. Those who are so budget constrained as to relying on being anchored out while doing a full refit that precludes movement every 45 days— may also be unlikely to have the resources and power to prevent environmental impact (like fiberglass dust containment, or grey water containing petroleum/grease from cleaning equipment and fittings. Yes boatyards are expensive but so is maintaining a boat the right way unfortunately
Old 20-02-2024, 12:52   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkishel View Post
There are few, if any, places more than 200 yards from the shore of Miami Beach between the two causeways.
I'll be charitable and assume you are just repeating something someone else stated without actually looking yourself. Your statement is bogus. If you disagree, show me a marked up chart to prove your point.

I really think you need to look at a chart and get out your dividers. Biscayne Bay in this area is about 2 miles wide. Last I chedcked, that is a LOT more than 200 yards.

This is exactly the kind of statement that is patently false, but gets repeated to drum up indignation by people who are not familiar with the details. The actual expansion of no-anchor zones that have not existed for a long time by that definition is TINY.
Old 20-02-2024, 13:37   #41

Boat: Sceptre 41

Seems like the OP doesn't like the answers... they haven't come back
Old 20-02-2024, 13:50   #42

Boat: 1998 Catalina 320

Quote:
Originally Posted by SailingHarmonie View Post

I really think you need to look at a chart and get out your dividers. Biscayne Bay in this area is about 2 miles wide. Last I checked, that is a LOT more than 200 yards.

Yeah, but most of the water is shallow. Kind of difficult to a nchor in two or three feet of water.
Old 20-02-2024, 15:07   #43

Quote:
Originally Posted by SailingHarmonie View Post
I'll be charitable and assume you are just repeating something someone else stated without actually looking yourself. Your statement is bogus. If you disagree, show me a marked up chart to prove your point.

I really think you need to look at a chart and get out your dividers. Biscayne Bay in this area is about 2 miles wide. Last I chedcked, that is a LOT more than 200 yards.

This is exactly the kind of statement that is patently false, but gets repeated to drum up indignation by people who are not familiar with the details. The actual expansion of no-anchor zones that have not existed for a long time by that definition is TINY.

For reference purposes, a map of the area between State Road 112 and the A1A where the 200 yards from shoreline anchor regulation is to be established.

Quite shallow.

The area to the south of the causeway ranges from 3 to 6 feet in depth and is the only area that would be further than 200 yards from the shoreline and not near the narrow dredge ICW.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Biscayne Bay.jpg
Views:	72
Size:	436.4 KB
ID:	286582  
Old 20-02-2024, 15:18   #44

Boat: 1966 Spencer 42'

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptTom View Post
While your other observations are pretty good, I take some exception to this. Very few other states (I'm looking at you, GA) have gone to the trouble FL has to make anchoring difficult/illegal.

Like others here, I totally get why they have to try. But it is incumbent upon cruisers to stay ever-vigilant against feel-good legislation which impacts legitimate anchoring, rather than targets just the (very real) derelict boat issue.

As much as I sympathize with those who embrace that lifestyle, I can't support the rights of squatters over my right of navigation.

That is exactly it, when a boat just anchors, stays and never leaves, that actually hurts the rest of us because boats anchoring should have a flow in and out as we move from place to place, it shouldn't be a permanent destination, and if a boat wants to stay permanently, they ought to either get a mooring ball or get a slip.

What I find so annoying about the OP's post is that a slip can be had for between 400 and 1000 a month, that is not insurmountable, and if you cannot afford that, you really cannot afford to have a boat.

If they go get a job that pays 20 bucks an hour they are gonna spend about a week-week and a half of each month paying moorage, and the other 3 will be money free and clear for the boat.

I don't for the life of me see how this is an insurmountable barrier.
Old 20-02-2024, 15:19   #45

Boat: 1966 Spencer 42'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Montanan View Post
For reference purposes, a map of the area between State Road 112 and the A1A where the 200 yards from shoreline anchor regulation is to be established.

Quite shallow.

I was looking at that myself, there is limited space where people can anchor, and that is all the more reason to keep boats moving in and out rather than just letting them setup what is essentially a barged tied to an anchor that never leaves and keeps others from being able to anchor.

Tags
boat, boating