Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Life Aboard a Boat > Liveaboard's Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-09-2012, 11:14   #16

Re: Moor and Live-aboard in San Diego

Thanks for all the responses. What about Long Beach? Is there mooring more readily available there?
DougTheAviator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2012, 20:04   #17

Boat: Tayana 37

Doug, I have a question for you. When you say you need to keep your boat payment around $550 a month, is that for JUST the boat or the boat and slip combined? Because if its just the boat plus the cost of a slip or mooring ball, you should be able to find something that works for you. If its for both, you're being slightly unrealistic. As an example, I pay $800 a month for my boat and slip combined, and my boat is a 49 year old 35 footer. Reason I'm asking is knowing which you mean would really let us give you better advice on what you're looking for.
Kevin84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2012, 09:57   #18

Boat: Hans Christian 36'

One other thing to consider about the temp moorings in San Diego. If you are willing to take a temp mooring in the boondocks or near the Coast Guard station (Laurel Street where the Coast Guard runs their choppers non-stop) then you can get in relatively soon, say a year or less.)

We've been on the temp wait list for America's Cup Harbor for over a year and no movement (we're actually next in line) but of course we're leaving in a month for Mexico so so much for that

Many marinas charge extra for living aboard and for pets, so consider that. Also many won't take children. Also, if you are willing to be further away from Point Loma, you can get decent facilities in South Bay (National City and Chula Vista).
Red Charlotte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2012, 15:11   #19
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41

temp moorings are everywhere in sd bay. coronado is best mooring field--open, quiet, good neighbors. is a roadstead, with no cattleboat wakes in darkness, as there are i n commercial basin, but there is merchant shipping and navy traffic passing by often.. very friendly and drug free area--which, i know, cannot be said about the rest of the mooring fields. temp ball is around 260 per month. highest is in commercial basin. amazingly, each mooring field is in a convenient locale.

i have to give up my sd mooring(is permanent) when my ericson changes hands.
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 10:59   #20

Boat: Wellcraft 38 KV Scarab Carver 4207 Aft Cabin

Hi Doug....

I am an Airline Pilot as well. Curious as to who you work for? (UAL here)

Also--I would NEVER leave my boat on a mooring ball--with the schedules we have you want a slip with elec/water and slip mates who will watch your boat like a hawk! I moved aboard 2.5 years ago and recently upgraded to a much larger boat, will not be going back to a house anytime soon!

I lived aboard in Marina Del Ray as a crashpad via a friend. Close to LAX were I was based, however the slip rental was $$$$---also no "liveaboards" were really allowed but I was only on the boat 1-2 nights a week.
OTIMO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 11:47   #21

Boat: Newport 30

Quote:
Originally Posted by DougTheAviator View Post
Thanks for all the responses. What about Long Beach? Is there mooring more readily available there?
To my knowledge, there are no moorings in LB nor in LA Harbor (Wilmington/San Pedro). But there are relatively cheap slips available in the Inner Harbor, if you don't mind living in an industrial working harbor.
jerrymc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 13:02   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by OTIMO View Post
Hi Doug....

Also--I would NEVER leave my boat on a mooring ball--with the schedules we have you want a slip with elec/water and slip mates who will watch your boat like a hawk! I moved aboard 2.5 years ago and recently upgraded to a much larger boat, will not be going back to a house anytime soon!

I lived aboard in Marina Del Ray as a crashpad via a friend. Close to LAX were I was based, however the slip rental was $$$$---also no "liveaboards" were really allowed but I was only on the boat 1-2 nights a week.
there is no reason to denigrate the mooring ability in san diego. i worked from 1994-2005 in emergency room in lost angeles and lived on boats on moorings during that time. worked out great.. and talk about neighbors knowing you and vice versa--they keep eye on each other much better than in any marina in lost angeles. yes i lived there also. was much better on moorings. so do not knock it until you have done it for a few years.
Old 13-09-2012, 19:54   #23

Boat: Wellcraft 38 KV Scarab Carver 4207 Aft Cabin

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeehag View Post
there is no reason to denigrate the mooring ability in san diego. i worked from 1994-2005 in emergency room in lost angeles and lived on boats on moorings during that time. worked out great.. and talk about neighbors knowing you and vice versa--they keep eye on each other much better than in any marina in lost angeles. yes i lived there also. was much better on moorings. so do not knock it until you have done it for a few years.
....not trying to "denigate" anyone pal. Airline pilots are not home everynight and sometimes 1000's of miles away---much safer if the yacht is in a slip, just my Humble Opinion and .05 cents worth.
OTIMO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-09-2012, 19:56   #24

Boat: Hans Christian 36'

I didn't think he was denigrating SD mooring either. He was giving advice from one person to another, and advice is what the original poster asked for.
Red Charlotte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-09-2012, 20:00   #25

Quote:
....not trying to "denigate" anyone pal. Airline pilots are not home everynight and sometimes 1000's of miles away---much safer if the yacht is in a slip, just my Humble Opinion and .05 cents worth.
I agree. I have a lot of freinds and some family who are airline pilots, and they will be away from home for days at a time. Personally, if I had to leave my boat for 3+ days straight, I would not want it on a mooring ball, regardless of where it is. What if your boat breaks loose? Chances are, it wont be noticed as quickly. At least in a marina, there are people close by that will help get it back into your slip if your gone.
Old 14-09-2012, 08:33   #26

when i worked as an emergency room rn in lost angeles and lived on boat on mooring in coronado, i was gone for more than days at a time. i commuted to lost angeles and stayed there for days as i worked. i came home to my intact boat without any problems. is what i am saying. airline pilot is no different.
as i was emergency room trauma, i didnt always know when i was going to get home, and my boat was safer on mooring than in marinas where folks are able to obtain entry via doors held open, gates not locked, whatever--yes, i did that marina thing also--was much safer on mooring. btdt both. neighbors are much more watchful on moorings than in marinas.
Old 14-09-2012, 20:31   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeehag View Post
when i worked as an emergency room rn in lost angeles and lived on boat on mooring in coronado, i was gone for more than days at a time. i commuted to lost angeles and stayed there for days as i worked. i came home to my intact boat without any problems. is what i am saying. airline pilot is no different.
as i was emergency room trauma, i didnt always know when i was going to get home, and my boat was safer on mooring than in marinas where folks are able to obtain entry via doors held open, gates not locked, whatever--yes, i did that marina thing also--was much safer on mooring. btdt both. neighbors are much more watchful on moorings than in marinas.
The difference is, you were not that far away and could get to your boat in just few hours, max, if something went wrong. An airline pilot may not even be in the country when something happens and is stuck till his schedule gets him back in town.
Old 15-09-2012, 05:43   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin84 View Post
The difference is, you were not that far away and could get to your boat in just few hours, max, if something went wrong. An airline pilot may not even be in the country when something happens and is stuck till his schedule gets him back in town.
kevin, your thinking is flawed. medical personnel are locked into their workplace. in a true emergency(--and ye dont know day to day if that will happen, now , do you??--) one does not leave the facility. for any reason.
i may not have been that far away, but a provider of emergency health care is not to leave scene in emergency. doesnt matter where ye are--- abandonment of duty is not allowed--is similar to someone being out of country. and i was gone for days at a time. i even had a section of lost angeles to triage for riots. so dont say there is a difference--sad to say, there is none. there is no "being there in a few hours max.."
"sorry , folks, i cant triage your disaster now--i must attend to my boat" just doesnt cut it. there is no leaving.
some folks just dont "get" it.
but , then, an airline pilot can afford 2000 usdollar slip fees in kona kai marina for a 50 ft boat. oh, yes, and the brand new boat to place in it, and full coverage insurance, so proximity is irrelevant...

your answer exhibits a true lack of understanding of how folks in a mooring community work together,as opposed to the casual folks on a marina dock. i know both ways of life--- there is no understanding by outsiders as to the cohesiveness of the moored boat lifestyle.
Old 15-09-2012, 05:55   #29

I am docked in south florida $450 a month plus electric it can be done
motion30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-10-2012, 21:39   #30

Quote:
Hi Doug....

I'm a First Officer at SkyWest. 2nd year pay and student loan payments currently limit my options. I'm beginning to think this isn't going to work on my current budget, perhaps in the future though. I actually jump-seated into LAX one day and looked into Marina Del Ray, slip fees seemed pricy to me.
DougTheAviator is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
san diego