Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Life Aboard a Boat > Liveaboard's Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 25-10-2012, 22:09   #31

Re: Moor and Live-aboard in San Diego

Quote:
Originally Posted by DougTheAviator View Post
I'm a First Officer at SkyWest. 2nd year pay and student loan payments currently limit my options. I'm beginning to think this isn't going to work on my current budget, perhaps in the future though. I actually jump-seated into LAX one day and looked into Marina Del Ray, slip fees seemed pricy to me.
Southern California waterfront is super pricey; not a lot of ways around that one. It sucks because it's a wonderful area, just from the nature angle. But the marinas, costs, and regulations make it kind of crummy.
rebel heart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-10-2012, 22:35   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by DougTheAviator View Post
I'm a First Officer at SkyWest. 2nd year pay and student loan payments currently limit my options. I'm beginning to think this isn't going to work on my current budget, perhaps in the future though. I actually jump-seated into LAX one day and looked into Marina Del Ray, slip fees seemed pricy to me.
I was thinking you are junior at a regional. Have you looked at Oceanside?

If it's about saving shekels you might consider an RV in a parking lot. No kidding! You'll grow to hate a mooring. Damp clothes, the F-ing dinghy to shore then to the ground transpo. Everything, and I mean everything, will be centered around the dinghy. Motor quit and you woke up late for a 2 hour show...too bad. Worried about secured dinghy space or frayed painter or whatever...too bad. Too much to deal with. If you wrote your schedule it would be different but you are only the gear monkey.

You aren't a sailor, you are a pilot looking to save money. What I mean is you are considering a habitat close to base and a mooring just won't do as you intend. If you think having a boat in Sandy Eggo carries a wow factor with chicks, fuggedaboufdit, everyone in SD has access to the water. And it's bigger than what you have.
Richard5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-10-2012, 22:38   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by rebel heart View Post
Southern California waterfront is super pricey; not a lot of ways around that one. It sucks because it's a wonderful area, just from the nature angle. But the marinas, costs, and regulations make it kind of crummy.
Marine is hardly more regulated than Part 121 aviation. Our man certainly should understand the expense associated with regulation. It's the logistics which kills this plan.
Richard5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-06-2016, 14:01   #34

Great site!

Looking to possibly move out to San Diego and live aboard (again) during a 3-year Naturopathic Doctor program I might be starting Sept 2017 using my post 9/11 GI Bill - used to live on a small Coronado 25 at the Railway Marina in Port Orchard, WA for less than $300/month with full services, a nice parking lot, friendly/helpful Harbor Master, and walking distance to the great little town...

PS Appreciate any advice on where & how to get on any San Diego harbor or moorage waiting lists - have boat...can live aboard whenever ;>}

Life Short - Sail Now!

Major BK "Brain" Kissinger
US Air Commando ("retired")
Humble Servant
brainep is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
san diego