Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-03-2020, 06:31   #196

Re: Low Cost Cruising Details

I think many of these threads exist because people just don't track their money very closely. On land or sea.

We are self employed in a home based business, we track every cent, as in every penny, including cash - all categorized and such for the last 17 years. Yes, a royal PITA, and requires daily upkeep - but necessary.

Makes budgeting easy.... the non-linear expenses can be eye opening.

Moral of the story - we will have a chunk of money set aside for the unplanned - and will not hesitate to piss it away if needed. Less stress.
two-rocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2020, 06:42   #197

Boat: Rafiki 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailorboy1 View Post
Great you win the competition!

because for some reason people think these budget threads are a competition instead of just information
That's funny. My perception it is mainly you who seems to treat these threads as a competition. Every time someone provides information that doesn't support your results, you claim they are missing something, or are outright misrepresenting the facts.

There have been nearly a 1/2 dozen people here who have explained that they cruise for between $1000 and $1500/month. Some have said they spend much more, and a few have reported even less than that.
Old 06-03-2020, 06:53   #198

Boat: Formosa 41

Quote:
Well time for me to just unsubscribe and place this thread on ignore to never be seen again.
Seriously?

I thought you were done with this thread.
Jason Flare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2020, 07:03   #199
CLOD

Boat: none

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike OReilly View Post
That's funny. My perception it is mainly you who seems to treat these threads as a competition. Every time someone provides information that doesn't support your results, you claim they are missing something, or are outright misrepresenting the facts.

There have been nearly a 1/2 dozen people here who have explained that they cruise for between $1000 and $1500/month. Some have said they spend much more, and a few have reported even less than that.
just shut up if you have no new info except for trashing me
Old 06-03-2020, 07:04   #200

Late to the party, but I took the liberty of dropping SB's cruising expenses into some charts - one is the monthly average, second is a crude look at discretionary vs non-discretionary (e.g. those that are more or less unavoidable, and those that have significant control over, though may not go to zero).

Hope this helps dial-down the discussion back to fact-based. I can certainly see why some folks react to the other's position. Just depends on your cruising priorities and appetite for austerity, which in some cases is likely driven by available funds.

Again, many thanks to SB for his transparency.

Peter
Click image for larger version

Name:	SB Cruise Expense 1.jpg
Views:	147
Size:	32.1 KB
ID:	210144

Click image for larger version

Name:	SB Cruise Expense 2.jpg
Views:	163
Size:	71.8 KB
ID:	210145
mvweebles is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2020, 07:07   #201
CLOD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason Flare View Post
Seriously?

I thought you were done with this thread.
I'm weak and because many people sent me a thread thanks along the way there is a backdoor into the thread for me. So still once in a while I try to get back on track with numbers detail instead of just the blanket statements and the efforts of 2 to just check in to see if there is a new trolling opportunity.
Old 06-03-2020, 07:14   #202
CLOD

Quote:
Originally Posted by mvweebles View Post
Late to the party, but I took the liberty of dropping SB's cruising expenses into some charts - one is the monthly average, second is a crude look at discretionary vs non-discretionary (e.g. those that are more or less unavoidable, and those that have significant control over, though may not go to zero).

Hope this helps dial-down the discussion back to fact-based. I can certainly see why some folks react to the other's position. Just depends on your cruising priorities and appetite for austerity, which in some cases is likely driven by available funds.

Peter
Attachment 210144

Attachment 210145
Interesting even though I don't agree that food is 100% discretionary. I do similar things with the data, but look at it different based on my better knowledge of things in the groups and the story/reason behind them.

If only there was a way to do this on a long term (like at least 2 years) on the "low cost" peoples so potential "cruisers" could make use of it as a planning tool.
Old 06-03-2020, 07:19   #203

Quote:
just shut up if you have no new info except for trashing me
How high is up? Your question cannot be answered because everyone is different, different size boat, different condition of boat, different size people, different taste, different income, different personal net worth. You sound like a 25 year old out of a job living in your parents basement.
Up Helly Aa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2020, 07:20   #204
CLOD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Up Helly Aa View Post
How high is up? Your question cannot be answered because everyone is different, different size boat, different condition of boat, different size people, different taste, different income, different personal net worth. You sound like a 25 year old out of a job living in your parents basement.
OH COME ON!!!!!!!

EVERYONE CAN ANSWER THE QUESTION AS IT APPLIES TO THEM
Old 06-03-2020, 07:21   #205

Boat: Rafiki 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by mvweebles View Post

Peter
Interesting analysis Peter. Shows well why there is a range of cruising costs presented by those of us actually out there. When I've looked at SB's numbers (which I too appreciate, and have said so many times), it has struck me how close his and mine are if I account for his higher discretionary spending, and higher cost location.

This is why I say choices matter. If you want to cruise at a lower cost then you have to make choices and where and how to cruise.
Old 06-03-2020, 07:58   #206

Snarky
Garbonz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2020, 08:23   #207

let Me inter a few of my expenses.
cost of boat $20 raffle ticket. 23' allmamd, includes 9.9 4stroke Johnson, and trailer.
install 580 w of solar panels , includes controllers and cables .$620. I did a lot of shopping
build Bimini and install to hold panels and as shade. $50.
build compost toilet $15.00
remove gallery increase bunk size install tv bracket. $55.00
refrigerator and invertor$200.
interior lights $30 led.
upgrade some safety equipment$150
Fuel $20 I run almost entirely on solar.
2 trolling thrusters used 80# trust. $200 both
I will add a little for something I might have missed so round off to $2000.
That is for 4 years. or $500 a year or less than $50 a month. I did not include food I eat on or off board so don't include as expense. have not had to pay for marina or docking or outside repairs ---YET. did not include insurance or taxes titles etc I figure them as living expense not as boating expenses.
Time on board continuous 2 weeks on gulf. To see if we could do it.
Approximately 3 months on lakes checking and playing. This part is split between the years.
Presently working on a sternwheeler and set of side wheels. For better propulsion. Can't figure which I like better yet. Have roughly $175 invested in these. It is not a fast boat. It is a 1/2 fast boat. I love it . Oh I do have a lot of electronics but they are gifts from friends and family so did not include them . Still figuring on great loop---- reason for paddle wheels. Will see Lee
smbdyiam2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2020, 08:30   #208

Quote:
Interesting even though I don't agree that food is 100% discretionary. I do similar things with the data, but look at it different based on my better knowledge of things in the groups and the story/reason behind them.

If only there was a way to do this on a long term (like at least 2 years) on the "low cost" peoples so potential "cruisers" could make use of it as a planning tool.
I don't disagree. But some may see food as rice and beans for $100/mo for a couple. Others see it as closer to $300pp per month. So it can be modulated.

But this is why I appreciate your build up. Leaving the actual numbers aside, the categories are helpful. Having the numbers, someone can then decide whether they will be higher or lower in a given category.
mvweebles is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2020, 08:32   #209
CLOD

Quote:
Originally Posted by smbdyiam2 View Post
That is for 4 years. or $500 a year or less than $50 a month.
Is any of this on topic of costs of cruising? Or is this just costs for YOU to own YOUR boat because that is a different topic.
Old 06-03-2020, 08:37   #210

Quote:
Is any of this on topic of costs of cruising? Or is this just costs for YOU to own YOUR boat because that is a different topic.
It is on topic as to cost of cruising. Duh. If you do not have a boat and do not maintain it you cannot cruise. listed is costs. as in title of this heading.
smbdyiam2 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cruising