Cruisers Forum
 


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-03-2020, 11:19   #346
Registered User

Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 5,951
Re: Low Cost Cruising Details

Hey Mike,
Anytime. We are sitting in Honduras waiting for a so called fast moving cold front to pass that was forecast to march through in a day. We are on day 3 of winds from every direction and raining like crazy so I've had some time on my hands and write long dissertations that are probably a drag to read. I think Abe Lincoln's famous saying was...sorry for the long letter, I didn't have time to write a short one.
Are you house sitting?
robert sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2020, 11:29   #347
Registered User
 
Mike OReilly's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Good question
Boat: Rafiki 37
Posts: 10,071
Re: Low Cost Cruising Details

Quote:
Originally Posted by robert sailor View Post
Hey Mike,
Anytime. We are sitting in Honduras waiting for a so called fast moving cold front to pass that was forecast to march through in a day. We are on day 3 of winds from every direction and raining like crazy so I've had some time on my hands and write long dissertations that are probably a drag to read. I think Abe Lincoln's famous saying was...sorry for the long letter, I didn't have time to write a short one.
Are you house sitting?
Still sounds wonderful. Yes, I'm on a house sit right now -- our third one of the season -- which is why I have way too much free time... sorry everyone .

I'm still a couple months away from getting back to our "home" in Newfoundland. I just hope she's doing OK. Our boat is right in the blast zone of that major winter storm that hit The Rock. No one has called to say our boat fell over, or anything. But I haven't asked either ... don't really want to know.
__________________
Why go fast, when you can go slow.
BLOG: www.helplink.com/CLAFC
Mike OReilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2020, 11:39   #348
Registered User

Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 5,951
Re: Low Cost Cruising Details

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike OReilly View Post
Still sounds wonderful. Yes, I'm on a house sit right now -- our third one of the season -- which is why I have way too much free time... sorry everyone .

I'm still a couple months away from getting back to our "home" in Newfoundland. I just hope she's doing OK. Our boat is right in the blast zone of that major winter storm that hit The Rock. No one has called to say our boat fell over, or anything. But I haven't asked either ... don't really want to know.
Mike,
You don't own a light weight so I'm sure it's fine. Would take a serious wind to blow that boat off the stands.
That house sitting gig always interested me, not wifey so much! Some British cruising friends got in touch and said they were house sitting in Canada for 6 weeks. Where I asked, 150 miles north of Edmonton. Took me awhile to get back to them, my typing finger isn't very steady when I'm laughing. Anyways they now have a pretty good idea what cold really means, lol. They sold their sailboat and bought a canal boat, now I have to say for a guy who likes his beer that sounds like it would be about perfect for you when this phase is over.
robert sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2020, 12:17   #349
Registered User
 
Mike OReilly's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Good question
Boat: Rafiki 37
Posts: 10,071
Re: Low Cost Cruising Details

Quote:
Originally Posted by robert sailor View Post
Mike,
You don't own a light weight so I'm sure it's fine. Would take a serious wind to blow that boat off the stands.
That house sitting gig always interested me, not wifey so much! Some British cruising friends got in touch and said they were house sitting in Canada for 6 weeks. Where I asked, 150 miles north of Edmonton. Took me awhile to get back to them, my typing finger isn't very steady when I'm laughing. Anyways they now have a pretty good idea what cold really means, lol. They sold their sailboat and bought a canal boat, now I have to say for a guy who likes his beer that sounds like it would be about perfect for you when this phase is over.
Thanks Robert. I assume no news is good news regarding our boat. You're right though, she's a beast. If she has fallen over, then all the boats have gone over.

When were your friends up north on their housesit? We were in Cochrane, AB on our first house sit back in December/January and we hit a cold spell that went down to below -40Celcius for darn near a week. I'm talking absolute temperatures too, not just 'wind chill.' We were just north of Calgary. I shudder (literally) to think what it must have been like north of Edmonton -- which is seriously north.

Actually, I've pondered the canal boats. They do look like my style ... slow, ponderous, and comfortable .

Good luck with your weather window. Hope it opens up soon. And maybe I'll get a house sit out on the west coast some year. I'd really like to spend some time snooping around the marinas of Vancouver Island. I have this vision of washing up there one of these decades.
__________________
Why go fast, when you can go slow.
BLOG: www.helplink.com/CLAFC
Mike OReilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2020, 12:24   #350
Registered User

Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 5,951
Re: Low Cost Cruising Details

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike OReilly View Post
Thanks Robert. I assume no news is good news regarding our boat. You're right though, she's a beast. If she has fallen over, then all the boats have gone over.

When were your friends up north on their housesit? We were in Cochrane, AB on our first house sit back in December/January and we hit a cold spell that went down to below -40Celcius for darn near a week. I'm talking absolute temperatures too, not just 'wind chill.' We were just north of Calgary. I shudder (literally) to think what it must have been like north of Edmonton -- which is seriously north.

Actually, I've pondered the canal boats. They do look like my style ... slow, ponderous, and comfortable .

Good luck with your weather window. Hope it opens up soon. And maybe I'll get a house sit out on the west coast some year. I'd really like to spend some time snooping around the marinas of Vancouver Island. I have this vision of washing up there one of these decades.
January/February they got down to -45 it seemed to leave them with a lasting impression
If you do manage to find your way out west, drop me a note and we will put you up for awhile.
robert sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2020, 18:12   #351
Registered User
 
Matt Johnson's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Annapolis MD
Boat: Building a Max Cruise 42 cat - previous 37' aluminum mono
Posts: 2,683
Re: Low Cost Cruising Details

He have friends that house sit in Utila Honduras.... so they don't all have to be in cold locations!
__________________
MJSailing - Youtube Vlog -
Matt Johnson is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2020, 18:50   #352
Registered User
 
Mike OReilly's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Good question
Boat: Rafiki 37
Posts: 10,071
Re: Low Cost Cruising Details

Quote:
Originally Posted by funjohnson View Post
He have friends that house sit in Utila Honduras.... so they don't all have to be in cold locations!
What! We can go someplace warm!?! I've been bamboozled again .

Actually, house sitting is mostly targeted to travelers who want like to spend more than just a few days blowing through an area. One can house sit all over the world. We've stayed in Canada so far to minimize travel costs (we're frugal remember), but I can certainly see heading south some years.

I don't know what it's like elsewhere, but we've been doing this for four winters now, and we seem to be more in demand than ever. This past winter we had to turn down more offers than we accepted. And we're already booked in one spot for next winter.

For anyone looking to spend time off the boat, I'd strongly encourage you to look at this whole house sit world.
__________________
Why go fast, when you can go slow.
BLOG: www.helplink.com/CLAFC
Mike OReilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2020, 18:56   #353
Registered User
 
Matt Johnson's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Annapolis MD
Boat: Building a Max Cruise 42 cat - previous 37' aluminum mono
Posts: 2,683
Re: Low Cost Cruising Details

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike OReilly View Post
What! We can go someplace warm!?! I've been bamboozled again .

Actually, house sitting is mostly targeted to travelers who want like to spend more than just a few days blowing through an area. One can house sit all over the world. We've stayed in Canada so far to minimize travel costs (we're frugal remember), but I can certainly see heading south some years.

I don't know what it's like elsewhere, but we've been doing this for four winters now, and we seem to be more in demand than ever. This past winter we had to turn down more offers than we accepted. And we're already booked in one spot for next winter.

For anyone looking to spend time off the boat, I'd strongly encourage you to look at this whole house sit world.
Word of mouth or are you getting this gigs online somewhere? I've never looked into it, but with us needing to be out of the European Schengen territory every 90 days, maybe putting the boat up and heading to some other country for three months would work out well.

Matt
__________________
MJSailing - Youtube Vlog -
Matt Johnson is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2020, 19:11   #354
Registered User
 
Mike OReilly's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Good question
Boat: Rafiki 37
Posts: 10,071
Re: Low Cost Cruising Details

Quote:
Originally Posted by funjohnson View Post
Word of mouth or are you getting this gigs online somewhere? I've never looked into it, but with us needing to be out of the European Schengen territory every 90 days, maybe putting the boat up and heading to some other country for three months would work out well.
Most of the initial connections have come through the various match-making websites that are now out there. But connections lead to other opportunities. So some have been word-of-mouth, or return invites.

I've been listed on three, but there are others:

https://www.housecarers.com/index.cfm
https://www.mindmyhouse.com/
https://www.housesitterscanada.com/

Basically, home owners posts their sits (for free) and house sitters post our profiles (for a small cost). Either one can contact the other.

I know boat sitting is also a thing, and I would love to do that as well, but there doesn't appear to be any similar web-type of services out there making the matches. I've toyed with the idea of trying to build this into a new business, along the same lines as the house sitting sites, but it all sounds too much like a job -- yeck.
__________________
Why go fast, when you can go slow.
BLOG: www.helplink.com/CLAFC
Mike OReilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2020, 12:51   #355
S/V rubber ducky
 
sailorboy1's Avatar

Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Bahamas cruising currently
Boat: Hunter 410
Posts: 17,664
Re: Low Cost Cruising Details

Frugal cost cruisers buy their beer and soda by the case. But I bet lots of them can not afford the cost of these 2 cases of local beer and Diet Coke
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	beer&soda.jpg
Views:	46
Size:	382.6 KB
ID:	210478  
__________________
jobless, houseless, clueless, living on a boat and cruising around somewhere
sailorboy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2020, 13:03   #356
Registered User
 
Davy J's Avatar

Join Date: Nov 2014
Location: Tampa Bay
Boat: Gemini 105Mc
Posts: 698
Re: Low Cost Cruising Details

We’ll, did you buy those supplies in Marathon.....

Even so, you are probably correct.
Davy J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2020, 13:15   #357
S/V rubber ducky
 
sailorboy1's Avatar

Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Bahamas cruising currently
Boat: Hunter 410
Posts: 17,664
Re: Low Cost Cruising Details

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davy J View Post
We’ll, did you buy those supplies in Marathon.....

Even so, you are probably correct.
No I'm in the islands now Mon so this is in Bimini. But it will be a lot less expensive than in the more remote islands.

But have you ever noticed the people on the boats by the bridge in Marathon who can not fix their boats always have lots to drink and snoke?
__________________
jobless, houseless, clueless, living on a boat and cruising around somewhere
sailorboy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2020, 13:30   #358
smj
Registered User

Join Date: Nov 2007
Boat: Searunner 38 catamaran
Posts: 5,453
Re: Low Cost Cruising Details

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0603.jpg
Views:	95
Size:	297.4 KB
ID:	210481
smj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2020, 13:49   #359
Registered User
 
Davy J's Avatar

Join Date: Nov 2014
Location: Tampa Bay
Boat: Gemini 105Mc
Posts: 698
Re: Low Cost Cruising Details

Quote:
No I'm in the islands now Mon so this is in Bimini. But it will be a lot less expensive than in the more remote islands.
That packaging sure didn’t look like it came from Publix.....��
Most of the bad characters will still be here on your return trip........
Davy J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2020, 13:57   #360
Moderator
 
a64pilot's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Jacksonville/ out cruising
Boat: Island Packet 38
Posts: 31,464
Re: Low Cost Cruising Details

I don’t know about frugality, I doubt it is, but we are trying a Sodastream this year, took 6 of the CO2 bottles with us and a bunch of the syrups. If you tried to pack all that many Soda’s it would take up a whole lot of space, so it’s really a space saving thing.
Last year we just didn’t do Soda’s, largely due to cost, but also space.
I don’t drink as much beer as I think I will so this year I’m carrying a lot of last years beer.

But the whole smoking and cell phone thing has always blown my mind, I don’t care how poor people are, they find enough money for cigarettes and the latest IPhone.
Saw a sign here at Lorainne’s in Black Sound, she is selling cigarettes for only $12 a pack.
You figure at that price a pack a day smoker spends $360 a month, then throw in what they spend drinking and that blows the low budget cruiser’s budget wide open.
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
cruising

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Low Oil Pressure at Low Revs Streetcar Engines and Propulsion Systems 6 16-03-2012 10:07
How Often Do You Check Your Water and How Low Is Too Low ? rebel heart Electrical: Batteries, Generators & Solar 51 19-11-2010 08:50
New Low Cost Solar Panels Ready for Mass Production rdempsey Electrical: Batteries, Generators & Solar 5 15-10-2007 19:38
low cost web site beau Marine Electronics 8 25-05-2007 09:13

Advertise Here


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 22:40.


Google+
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Social Knowledge Networks
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.

ShowCase vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.