Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 25-02-2016, 15:31   #1

Looking for part spec's

Hi all!

I am hoping someone may know where I can look up part specification on a 1967 Spencer 31' sailboat. I am looking for the spec's on a cutlass bearings. I will also need to order parts. I am having no luck searching the internet.

Thanks in advance!

Valerinna
valerinna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-02-2016, 03:40   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Lived aboard & cruised for 45 years,- now on a chair in my walk-in closet.
Boat: Morgan OI 413 1973 - Aythya
Re: Looking for part spec's

Vaterinna, I looked up the Spencer 31 on sailboatdata.com and noticed that there were only 24 built. It doesn't seem likely that you'll find specs for your cutlass bearing, but I think you can get some direct measurements. As I see it, you have three dimensions of importance. The shaft size is easy to determine and you can likely take a direct measurement of the inside diameter of your stern tube from just aft of your stuffing box. That only leaves the length of the cutlass bearing and this is the least critical measurement. You can always take a hack saw to shorten your length.

When the time comes to fit the cutlass bearing into the stern tube consider leaving it in the freezer or packed on ice for a few hours before. This usually makes the fit easier.
Old 26-02-2016, 06:45   #3

Hudson Force,

I am pretty new at cruising, only been living aboard sense November 2015. This was the first forum i joined and read it daily when possible. I have never been let down with information needed! Kudo's to all!

Thank you for that information regarding the bearing. I have been searching the net and you have provided me with more information then anywhere I can find.

Sitting in Placentia Belize on the hard Hoping to get back out on the sea's soon!

Valerinna
valerinna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-02-2016, 07:02   #4
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 422

Hi Valerinna,

I replaced my cutlass bearing using the exact process recommended by Hudson force. Measure the prop shaft diameter, the diameter of the strut or tube that holds the bearing and the length and you've got it.

Here is a link to a company that makes a good quality bearing and will certainly have a size to fit your boat. Not sure about shipping to Rio Dulce but their bearings are also sold by most online marine suppliers.

Sleeve Bearings On Buck Algonquin
skipmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-02-2016, 07:36   #5

Boat: Ta Chiao 56

Cutlass bearings are made by bearing manufacturers, not boat builders, and there are a handful of sizes that cover thousands of different boats. Just think how many boats are out there with 1.25" or 1.5" shafts, both sail and power, the number is at lest six digits.

As the others have said, it shouldn't be hard to take measurements to determing the bearing you need, and of all the easier since you're already on the hard.

If the supplier Skipmac linked to doesn't want to ship it to your location, it's quite likely that you could find one locally.

Good luck getting your boat wet ASAP!
Brewgyver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-02-2016, 08:30   #6

Location: Meandering about the Gulf of Alaska coast [NNE Pacific]— where the internet doesn't always shine... [Even Elon's...] Homeport: Wrangell Island
Boat: Nauticat 43 [S&S Staysail Ketch]

Quote:
Originally Posted by valerinna View Post
Hi all!

I am hoping someone may know where I can look up part specification on a 1967 Spencer 31' sailboat. I am looking for the spec's on a cutlass bearings. I will also need to order parts. I am having no luck searching the internet.

Thanks in advance!

Valerinna
Valerinna,

I can't help with your precise specs for the cutlass bearing, but as others already mentioned, they are not unique...

I wrote to provide you with a link to a good article about replacing a cutlass bearing in case you find that useful.

I also wanted to mention- in case you didn't already know- that St. Brendan's Isle [SBI] mail handling service also provides a marine supply service where they source and ship [internationally] your requests.

Best wishes with your project.

Cheers!

Bill
Old 26-02-2016, 08:40   #7

To add to what others have said:

That boat was 99.9% certain built here in vancouver. At the time, builders obtained parts such as this cutless from Western Marine Supply who basically "owned" the marine equipment market on the Canadian west coast.

A successor firm to the Brandlemayer/Spencer Boats collaboration is still alive here in Vancouver, so if you get stuck, drop me a PM

TrentePieds
TrentePieds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-02-2016, 09:15   #8
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 422

Hi Valerinna,

The link from wrwakefield to the how to replace is excellent. If the bearing has been in the boat for many years (very likely) and you've never replaced one before (my guess based on your comments), the process can be a bit of a struggle.

I thought I was going to have to use dynamite to get the 30 year old bearing out on my boat. Persistence finally paid off and the use of high explosives was not required.
skipmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-02-2016, 11:36   #9

Boat: Reinke S10 & Raven 26
Send a message via Skype™ to grantmc

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrentePieds View Post
That boat was 99.9% certain built here in vancouver. At the time, builders obtained parts such as this cutless from Western Marine Supply who basically "owned" the marine equipment market on the Canadian west coast.TrentePieds
Perhaps not. Spencer is a reasonably common name.

For example John Spencer (1931-1996) was a well regarded New Zealand yacht designer, designing and building keel boats throughout 1960-1980s. He became known as the 'plywood king' as his designs were usually glass over ply construction. As well as building 26-35 foot keelers he often sold plans for people who'd build the boat in their backyard. As a result people built them all over the world. The use of ply and with hard chines for the hull tended to simplify the build process.

Still quite common to spot a Spencer yacht in NZ.
Old 26-02-2016, 13:51   #10

@Grantmc:

You could be right. Then again - so could I ;-) However that may be, if our friend needs a cutless and can't find it locally, I'm fairly sure that one of us can help him out.

The Spencer 31 of 1967 vintage was a frozen snot boat that was a hot, hot item on this coast back then when we were just moving into the era of every Tom, Dick'n'Arry wanting to be a yottie. When I think back on it, the builder had a German name, tho what it was escapes me now, so it's entirely possible that the Vancouver based Spencer Boat Ltd. was an "out-station" of a Kiwi firm. There was a lot of Commonwealth to-ing and fro-ing in those days.

TrentePieds
Old 26-02-2016, 14:07   #11

Boat: Reinke S10 & Raven 26
Send a message via Skype™ to grantmc

Photo needed Valerinna!
Old 26-02-2016, 14:26   #12

Parts specifications are often non existent on sailboats, even those that produced hundreds. The good news is most builders just used available things, so once you are out of the water finding a cutlass bearing shouldn't be tough.
Of course your problem is you are in the Rio Dulce. Do you know your shaft size?

Cheechako is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 26-02-2016, 18:48   #13
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Wauquiez Centurion 32

Quote:
To add to what others have said:

That boat was 99.9% certain built here in vancouver. At the time, builders obtained parts such as this cutless from Western Marine Supply who basically "owned" the marine equipment market on the Canadian west coast.

A successor firm to the Brandlemayer/Spencer Boats collaboration is still alive here in Vancouver, so if you get stuck, drop me a PM

TrentePieds
Spencer did not build the 31. Philbrooks built them in Victoria. I have worked on one and know of several but do not know the cutless size, but guess the shaft is 1".
mitiempo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-02-2016, 18:54   #14
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Wauquiez Centurion 32

Quote:
@Grantmc:

You could be right. Then again - so could I ;-) However that may be, if our friend needs a cutless and can't find it locally, I'm fairly sure that one of us can help him out.

The Spencer 31 of 1967 vintage was a frozen snot boat that was a hot, hot item on this coast back then when we were just moving into the era of every Tom, Dick'n'Arry wanting to be a yottie. When I think back on it, the builder had a German name, tho what it was escapes me now, so it's entirely possible that the Vancouver based Spencer Boat Ltd. was an "out-station" of a Kiwi firm. There was a lot of Commonwealth to-ing and fro-ing in those days.

TrentePieds
The BC Spencer was designed by John Brandlmayr. He owned Spencer Boats and they built many boats up to 53'. The 35 was the most popular, helped by Hal Roth and his 35 Whisper.

Here is a link to the 31:
SPENCER 31-1 sailboat specifications and details on sailboatdata.com

There is no relation between BC Spencers and the Spencers down under.
mitiempo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-02-2016, 06:14   #15

Thanx Mitiempo :-)

TrentePieds