Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Life Aboard a Boat > Liveaboard's Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 30-04-2021, 06:45   #1

Living on the hook in Pine Island Cayo Costa area is there a time period by law.

Thinking about doing some liveaboard on a Catamaran and wonder what the
rules are today in that area? They seem to change over the years

Anyone stay on the hook in the Cayo Costa Island area?
Old 03-05-2021, 18:47   #2

Re: Living on the hook in Pine Island Cayo Costa area is there a time period by law.

Quote:
Originally Posted by videorov View Post
Thinking about doing some liveaboard on a Catamaran and wonder what the
rules are today in that area? They seem to change over the years

Anyone stay on the hook in the Cayo Costa Island area?
Where are the people living on the hook?????? Im getting no reply.
Must be someone on the hook?
Old 03-05-2021, 18:58   #3

Boat: 1998 Catalina 320
Re: Living on the hook in Pine Island Cayo Costa area is there a time period by law.

And what will you do?

Beautiful place to stop, but not really anything there other than a small park. How would you get water, groceries, do anything? Sailors go there to get away from civilization for a few days. Living there seems absurd.

It would also involve you pumping sewage into a beautiful bay because there are no pumpout boats. Not cool.

I strongly suspect the marine patrol would notice sooner or later that you were a permanent squatter.
Old 03-05-2021, 20:34   #4

Oh your one of those people. People stay in many locations for a long time and then move to another location. I never said stay forever READ close.

I know many people that stay for months at one location. Pump outs are all fine offshore miles out. Watermaker Have you heard of them and large Tenders have you heard of them. You have never sailed long distance I can tell. 50ft Catamarans have all those things. You don't have to go running to shore all the time. You have a 14ft center console tender. Solar, genset etc.
Catch fish from Cat or Tender and don't have to shop at store. Dam people have lost their way to survive.

Get a life.
Old 03-05-2021, 21:01   #5

Boat: Gemini 105Mc

Over the years we have anchored in Pelican Bay many, many times. It's a great place, probably one of the most remote places in Florida except for the Everglades.

We spent a week there back in January, it was great, but we came to the conclusion, it's really just a stop over on our way up or down the coast.

To my knowledge, there is currently no time limits or any other regulations regarding anchoring.

I would think the biggest problem would be managing groceries, as there isn't really anywhere nearby that is convenient.
Old 04-05-2021, 04:44   #6
CLOD

Boat: none

Quote:
Oh your one of those people. People stay in many locations for a long time and then move to another location. I never said stay forever READ close.

I know many people that stay for months at one location. Pump outs are all fine offshore miles out. Watermaker Have you heard of them and large Tenders have you heard of them. You have never sailed long distance I can tell. 50ft Catamarans have all those things. You don't have to go running to shore all the time. You have a 14ft center console tender. Solar, genset etc.
Catch fish from Cat or Tender and don't have to shop at store. Dam people have lost their way to survive.

Get a life.
oh you are one of THOSE people

I don't really know the asked about location, but since it is in Florida I know the answer and every Florida boater should also already know it.
Old 04-05-2021, 05:39   #7

Boat: 1998 Catalina 320

With all the money you claim to have, I would think you would have enough to rent a dock

In actuality, I suspect you own none of those things and are really just another person looking to live on a rundown sailboat in Florida.

I'm skeptical because people with money usually like some comforts and conveniences, which are not readily available at Cayo Costa, unless you count ice cream bars at the camp shop. (I've anchored there twice during the last month.)

If you're really looking for remote, I would suggest in Little Shark River. I was there two weeks ago. Now there's a place: Beautiful, 40 miles from anywhere.

You could run your generator on your 50-foot catamaran 24/7. Of course, it's a haul to top off your tanks.

Western Florida's beautiful anchorages should not be floating trailer parks for people who can not or will not make their way in the world through more conventional means.

I used to bristle at politicians talking about limiting anchoring. Now I see the wisdom of 90-day anchoring limits, at least until hurricanes sink all of the junk sailboats that can't actually sail anymore.

Yeah, life can be tough when you don't have much money. But don't take it out on the sailors by making us unwelcome in the places we enjoy.
Old 04-05-2021, 05:45   #8
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Lived aboard & cruised for 45 years,- now on a chair in my walk-in closet.
Boat: Morgan OI 413 1973 - Aythya

We often used to anchor on the west side of Hart (or "Part" on some charts) Island for a few days at a time. This is east of Useppa and keeps you protected from the obnoxious wakes. We never encountered anyone questioning our anchoring; however, we were usually staying in one place no more than a week.
Old 04-05-2021, 12:31   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shanachie View Post
With all the money you claim to have, I would think you would have enough to rent a dock

In actuality, I suspect you own none of those things and are really just another person looking to live on a rundown sailboat in Florida.

I'm skeptical because people with money usually like some comforts and conveniences, which are not readily available at Cayo Costa, unless you count ice cream bars at the camp shop. (I've anchored there twice during the last month.)

If you're really looking for remote, I would suggest in Little Shark River. I was there two weeks ago. Now there's a place: Beautiful, 40 miles from anywhere.

You could run your generator on your 50-foot catamaran 24/7. Of course, it's a haul to top off your tanks.

Western Florida's beautiful anchorages should not be floating trailer parks for people who can not or will not make their way in the world through more conventional means.

I used to bristle at politicians talking about limiting anchoring. Now I see the wisdom of 90-day anchoring limits, at least until hurricanes sink all of the junk sailboats that can't actually sail anymore.

Yeah, life can be tough when you don't have much money. But don't take it out on the sailors by making us unwelcome in the places we enjoy.
Sorry you don't know what you are talking about.
There are always idiots in this world. I bet you are a climate change person too.
Old 04-05-2021, 12:32   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hudson Force View Post
We often used to anchor on the west side of Hart (or "Part" on some charts) Island for a few days at a time. This is east of Useppa and keeps you protected from the obnoxious wakes. We never encountered anyone questioning our anchoring; however, we were usually staying in one place no more than a week.
Yes sounds good and have fished the area many times.
Old 09-05-2021, 09:36   #11

Quote:
Sorry you don't know what you are talking about.
There are always idiots in this world. I bet you are a climate change person too.
There are always people that have never lived on a boat fulltime and want to control the people on the water and think they own the land under the water and all other things they can't control and it makes them mad. Get use to it
people will live on boats fulltime even if you don't like it.
Old 10-05-2021, 09:17   #12
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Send a message via Skype™ to weavis

I have always found it best to be nice when people take the time to answer a question.

Disparaging the posters is not nice.

Closed the thread because it seems you don't want to listen to the answers, and more importantly, on CF we try to be nicer.
Closed Thread