Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-02-2023, 17:30   #1

Boat: Sea Ray 440 Aft Cabin
Liveaboards in Florida?

Hi, we were hoping to find a slip in the Stuart/Juniper/Ft Pierce area for winter 23/24 for live aboard on our 48’ SeaRay after cabin cruiser. Have been looking hard but no openings found so far. Anyone here have any tips or strategies? Thanks in advance.
awsmits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2023, 15:38   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Lived aboard & cruised for 45 years,- now on a chair in my walk-in closet.
Boat: Morgan OI 413 1973 - Aythya
Re: Liveaboards in Florida?

The best strategy, by our experience, has been to take a "transient" slip for a monthly rate with your arrival as an active cruiser. Most marinas will be pleased to continue slip rentals at open-ended monthly rates once you establish yourself present with a sound vessel, liability insurance, prompt full payment and compliance with policies. It's far less likely to obtain a slip by telephone inquiries.
Old 11-02-2023, 16:14   #3

Boat: Sea Ray 440 Aft Cabin

Thanks for that tip. That may be what we will need to try, but risky since we plan to cruise down from CT and need a relatively solid plan for dockage.

Is there a best time to inquire about monthly rentals?
awsmits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2023, 17:10   #4
CLOD

Boat: none

In Florida, and elsewhere, it is best to not say you want a liveaboard slip. What you what is a cruiser in transit slip. In other words a slip.
Old 11-02-2023, 17:40   #5
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Beneteau 432, C&C Landfall 42, Roberts Offshore 38

I agree with the above sentiments.... the word "liveaboard" has become a bit of a no-no in Florida....
While there are plenty of liveaboards in Florida, you're better off asking for a transient slip or as said above....a slip.
MicHughV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2023, 09:38   #6

Boat: Jeanneau Sun Odyssey 449

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hudson Force View Post
The best strategy, by our experience, has been to take a "transient" slip for a monthly rate with your arrival as an active cruiser. Most marinas will be pleased to continue slip rentals at open-ended monthly rates once you establish yourself present with a sound vessel, liability insurance, prompt full payment and compliance with policies. It's far less likely to obtain a slip by telephone inquiries.
Perfect, I have been trying for almost an year now and can't get a slip by phone. I even traveled to FL and tried in person 5 marinas. Nobody wants to reserve a slip at all. And I am trying for this summer! We are not Americans so my wife would take English lessons before we leave to the Caribbean. We can't sign up for the classes if we don't know where we will be.

Question is, if not by phone, how should I do please? I am in real need of advice.
fnees is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-02-2023, 12:12   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Lived aboard & cruised for 45 years,- now on a chair in my walk-in closet.
Boat: Morgan OI 413 1973 - Aythya

Quote:
Originally Posted by awsmits View Post
................... but risky since we plan to cruise down from CT and need a relatively solid plan for dockage.

I understand this risk; however, I'll share the risk of the marina management and consider their view. As you approach warmer climates, there are more "liveaboards" that are using vessels as an adventure in living with little expense. When they receive a phone call, the marina management has no idea if you are among those with marginally functional vessels covered in tarps with debris on their decks; sometimes dismasted sailboats; or sometimes with a jury-rigged outboard and a non-working diesel inboard.

If you arrive at the fuel dock of a marina in a sound, well-kept vessel prepared to pay for a month's dockage the management will likely be able to find you some space. Sure, you can be turned away or find only overnight or a week's dockage available, but your risk will likely be no more than a day in your schedule. Deadlines have to be flexible when cruising.

Marina's thrive by continuing to rent slips by the month for those in sound vessels paying promptly, but it's best to present yourself and your vessel at their dock.

I know the California coast has more restrictions for finding a slip, but this is the most effective means in the Southeast US.
Old 18-02-2023, 05:45   #8

Language learning classes can be secured on short notice
PaulCrawhorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-02-2023, 06:02   #9

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Helsinki (Summer); Cruising the Baltic Sea this year!
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hudson Force View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by awsmits View Post
Thanks for that tip. That may be what we will need to try, but risky since we plan to cruise down from CT and need a relatively solid plan for dockage.

Why do you need a "solid plan for dockage"? It's a boat -- it moves around. Don't you want to cruise a bit when you get there?

If I were you, I would just enjoy going from place to place until you find some place you particularly like before settling in for a longer stay.

As others have said, the word "liveaboard" is a dirty word in Florida. A cruiser who tips up in a nice boat for an overnight stay who then decides he likes it so much he'll stay a while, will be welcomed with open arms in a lot of places which don't have space for liveaboards.
We must have a turn together . . . . I undress . . . . hurry me out of sight of the land,
Cushion me soft . . . . rock me in billowy drowse,
Dash me with amorous wet . . . . I can repay you."
Walt Whitman
Dockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-02-2023, 09:50   #10

Boat: Jeanneau Sun Odyssey 449

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulCrawhorn View Post
Language learning classes can be secured on short notice
As we are foreigners we need a I-20 form to get the proper visa from homeland security. The whole process takes about 3 months...

Edit: The I-20 form is handed by a very select set of Language schools at the time of payment. And they are not cheap.
fnees is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-02-2023, 07:23   #11

Good morning, we just got a slip in Indian Harbour Beach, FL for our 48’ Chris Craft at Telemar Bay Marina - just south of Cocoa Beach. We pre-paid $1,020 in total for a 30 day stay here. We’ve been pleased with the amenities (relatively basic but clean and tidy) and friendly boat neighbors. They have a fuel dock and pump out station as well. There are plenty of open slips here, and it is well protected from weather. A mile or so to everything you’d need (grocery store, hardware, etc.) Anyway, just thought I’d pass that on. Anywhere South of here is either ridiculously expensive or booked solid in our experience.
Wewanttosail is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
florida, liveaboard