Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-02-2009, 08:42   #1

Florida Liveaboards

I'm going to be in Orlando in March and am totally unfamiliar with Florida. I'm interested in going over to the coast (Atlantic) for a day and would like to check out some of the liveaboard marinas. Still just dreaming but just wanting to do some initial research.

Do any of you have some suggestions off where would be a good place to check out? Melbourne? Merritt Island? etc.???
jda55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2009, 16:44   #2
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Prout, Quasar, 50'
In Miami, check out the Palm Bay Club (Premiere Miami Marina: Palm Bay Club and Marina, luxury, waterfront condominiums and 50-slip marina on Biscayne Bay, Miami, Florida.). It's a small, 50 slip marina with great amenities. Also quite reasonable for the area.

Loree
Aboard SeaWolf
CruisersLife.com
Sea Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2009, 23:02   #3

please remember one is NOT a liveaboard in florida..you never want to say that.. you are a 'cruiser'.. it is a legal issue..

figure out what area you want to live and cruise in.. then ask about marinas in that area.. migh consider SW fla.. awesome sailing and gunkholing.
bella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2009, 23:03   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sea Wolf View Post
In Miami, check out the Palm Bay Club (Premiere Miami Marina: Palm Bay Club and Marina, luxury, waterfront condominiums and 50-slip marina on Biscayne Bay, Miami, Florida.). It's a small, 50 slip marina with great amenities. Also quite reasonable for the area.

Loree
Aboard SeaWolf
CruisersLife.com
Does it cost the usual $24/foot + liveaboard fee?
Old 07-02-2009, 09:31   #5
Marine Service Provider

Bella,
We pay $18 foot. Don't know what the increase will be when our lease runs out in May, but they're very reasonable so I don't expect it to be much. There is no live aboard fee here, but we do pay for our electricity. There is also a $35 deposit for the gate cardkey, but that's refundable. There is no charge for the pool or gym. The Dockmaster, Bill, is really great and the people on the boats at the marina are all friendly and considerate. All things considered, it's a really nice place to live.

If you're nearby or will be here for the boat show, stop by.

Loree
Aboard SeaWolf
CruisersLife.com
Old 07-02-2009, 09:46   #6

depends on what you want to do. Living aboard in Ft L is nice if you get a slip behind a house in the los olas area. We were at a small apartment setup with about 6 slips, even had a hot tub! Ten years ago it was pretty cheap this way, about $400-500 a month if I remember right for a 47 footer.
Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2009, 14:41   #7
Marine Service Provider

Bella,
I forgot, Palm Bay Club provides comcast basic cable and wireless internet at no additional charge. For being only 5 minutes from the city, it's a good deal.

Loree
Aboard SeaWolf
CruisersLife.com
Old 07-02-2009, 19:11   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sea Wolf View Post
Bella,
We pay $18 foot. Don't know what the increase will be when our lease runs out in May, but they're very reasonable so I don't expect it to be much. There is no live aboard fee here, but we do pay for our electricity. There is also a $35 deposit for the gate cardkey, but that's refundable. There is no charge for the pool or gym. The Dockmaster, Bill, is really great and the people on the boats at the marina are all friendly and considerate. All things considered, it's a really nice place to live.

If you're nearby or will be here for the boat show, stop by.

Loree
Aboard SeaWolf
CruisersLife.com
I wish I was at the boat show.. it was 23 last night here in Baltimore..
Old 08-02-2009, 10:21   #9

Boat: Sunkyong Marine Ltd. 37' Sedan Trawler - Savannah
This is an easy one. I just moved from Merritt Island as a liveaboard. Take 528 (Beachline) straight out to Merritt Island. Harbortown is where I lived aboard. They have an extra $100/mo liveaboard fee. It's very well protected from hurricanes, has fairly nice ammenities, and is pretty convenient. There are a few marinas at Port Canaveral, which is just a bit further up 528. The new yacht club there was supposed to be all condo slips, but slow sales have led to leasing the slips with no liveaboard fee. Cape Marina has slips and allows liveaboards, but the docks are fixed so the tide can make boarding difficult. The biggest problem with the port is that you MUST clear out when a named storm is approaching. You'll be on your own to find somewhere to go. The haulout wait list for storms is over 5 years long. Harbortown doesn't really have this problem because it is behind the tide locks to Port Canaveral.

If you are into an economical marina that is decent, but a bit on the lower end of the scale, check out Banana River Marina.

If you do run by Harbortown, the office staff is very nice and can answer any questions. If you walk the docks, especially B-dock, anyone you run into should be able to answer questions and give you the rundown on the new situation at the yacht club in the port. It's opened up since I left and a few people have considered moving there. Good luck
GDFL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2009, 04:48   #10

Tampa Bay Liveaboard

I'm new to the Tampa Bay area, I'm working in downtown for a tour boat company. I'm looking to buy a +/- 30' Sea Ray and want to liveaboard. Are there any marinas in the downtown Tampa area that you can recommend? I've also looked at St. Petersburg, but I'd like to be downtown.
benrachor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2009, 06:41   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by GDFL View Post
This is an easy one. I just moved from Merritt Island as a liveaboard. Take 528 (Beachline) straight out to Merritt Island. Harbortown is where I lived aboard. They have an extra $100/mo liveaboard fee. It's very well protected from hurricanes, has fairly nice ammenities, and is pretty convenient. There are a few marinas at Port Canaveral, which is just a bit further up 528. The new yacht club there was supposed to be all condo slips, but slow sales have led to leasing the slips with no liveaboard fee. Cape Marina has slips and allows liveaboards, but the docks are fixed so the tide can make boarding difficult. The biggest problem with the port is that you MUST clear out when a named storm is approaching. You'll be on your own to find somewhere to go. The haulout wait list for storms is over 5 years long. Harbortown doesn't really have this problem because it is behind the tide locks to Port Canaveral.

If you are into an economical marina that is decent, but a bit on the lower end of the scale, check out Banana River Marina.

If you do run by Harbortown, the office staff is very nice and can answer any questions. If you walk the docks, especially B-dock, anyone you run into should be able to answer questions and give you the rundown on the new situation at the yacht club in the port. It's opened up since I left and a few people have considered moving there. Good luck
I agree with you up to the point you say it is "very well protected from hurricanes". I'm not picking and I mean no insult, but I assume you have never been through an actual hit from a hurricane.

As plainly as I can say it. No marina on the Florida coast, be it Atlantic or gulf is safe for a boat during a hurricane over category 2.
Jonesee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2009, 11:46   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by benrachor View Post
I'm new to the Tampa Bay area, I'm working in downtown for a tour boat company. I'm looking to buy a +/- 30' Sea Ray and want to liveaboard. Are there any marinas in the downtown Tampa area that you can recommend? I've also looked at St. Petersburg, but I'd like to be downtown.
Probably not going to happen..you might look at Marjorie Park on Davis Island..

Downtown St Pete is far nicer. You will have to get on the waiting list for thier Municipal marina.. in the meantime look at the Harborage..
There are any number of smaller marinas around St on the Bay side.. with a shallow draw you can get in and out fairly quickly..
you can anchor in the Vinoy Basin and do the downtown and then go back to wherever..

Might try looking down Westshore and off towards the bay.

There used to be a small marina to the left just past the western end of the gandy bridge..

I know work in Tampa but running up 4th ave, to Gandy and over to Bayshore Blvd you can get downtown in a reasonable amount of Time.

I do hope you are not attempting to move aboard to 'save money'... many have that idea and it runs roughly about the same. Just that the expenses have different names..

There used to be a private marina that was way down 4th street st pete side.. apt complex towards the bay that rented slips as well.. or you could check in the Salt Creek area.. liveaboards are dear in that neck of the woods.. esp since they closed that major marina right by the Gandy in Tampa..

Wath the newspapers.. somethign a private dock comes open in tampa..
might want to go onto Davis Islands and at the laudromat stick a notice up .. have not been home since 2003.. so I am not sure what is there in that shopping district.. but look for whatever has the local to the island bulletin board.. you might get lucky..
Old 10-02-2009, 15:48   #13

I have been looking in the St. Pete area. The Harborage is the best option so far. I just figure I'm paying $900 plus in rent now for an apartment. I'm going to buy a boat anyway, so I figure I'll be paying the same or a little more even. But I'm single, 35 and love being on the water.

I don't mind doing the live aboard thing, don't tell me Santa and the Easter Bunny aren't real too.
benrachor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-02-2009, 11:30   #14

Thanks for the input. I'll check it out when I'm there. Any Boardwalks around Daytona or that general area?
jda55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-02-2009, 12:51   #15

Boat: PDQ 32 DogHouse
Also along 528 on Merritt Island is Harbor Square marina. Kind of rundown but the price reflects it. At one point I was quoted $8.00/foot but the slips aren't really layed out for cats. Nice location though, the higway ramps make for nice hills surrounding the marina which is great protection for hurricanes.
amytom is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
florida